Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Duke Ellington: New Orleans Suite

[​IMG]

2. Berthold

Duke Ellington: Soul Call

[​IMG]

xybert, KCLizard, vanhooserd and 7 others like this.
  3. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Yesterday, i was able to haul the beast of a Sansui out of the closet and replaced the tube amps with the AU9500. Still has a warmth to the sound through the DQ10s. Also tended to some of the tulip beds (imagining i was working in Keukenof) and fertiized the garlic and now, with a rainy morning, the garden is getting watered . I am sitting on the back porch, with the dog, listening to Leroy walk....

[​IMG]
    More Images

Leroy Vinnegar Sextet ‎– Leroy Walks!

1 Walk On 8:23
    2 Would You Like To Take A Walk? 6:52
    3 On The Sunny Side Of The Street 5:37
    4 Walkin' 6:24
    5 Walkin' My Baby Back Home 4:47
    6 I'll Walk Alone 3:30
    7 Walking By The River 5:33

Credits
    Notes
    Recorded at Contemporary's studio in Los Angeles July 15 (#1,4), Sept. 16 (#3,5,6), & 23 (#2,7), 1957.
    Mastered at Fantasy Studios, Berkeley

4. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Bob Marley - Exodus (Tuff Gong UICY-78373/5)

I reached 36 degrees Celsius yesterday in Montréal (97 F) and more of the same in the forecast for today.

Because of Covid, I missed my usual spring getaway in Jamaica in April and today seems like the perfect weather for M. Marley !!

[​IMG]

5. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Very nice!! It must be a great moment!

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was the time that Lester Young Jr. told me he never could accept the common line that his father was a tragic figure. He said "Look at what he accomplished! How can that be tragic? If he was tragic, why am I here?"

Lester Jr. earned a PhD and was a leading figure in education theory, and on the New York State Board of Regents (running the education system in NYS and NYC)

I helped provide him some first edition copies of his Dad's records.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just weeks before the Pandemic hit NYC, Lester Young Jr. donated his father's instruments and hat to the Smithsonian American History Museum in Washington.

This was the ceremony where Lester signed the deed giving the precious items on 22 February 2020

[​IMG]

Smithsonian Accepts Artifacts From “The President” Lester Young
    Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra To Present Three Decades of Young’s Music
    February 20, 2020

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History will accept a donation of four iconic artifacts related to the life and legacy of jazz legend Lester Willis Young (Aug. 27, 1909–March 15, 1959) during a concert by the museum’s big band orchestra-in-residence, the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra (SJMO) Feb. 22.

Lester Young Jr. will present the museum with his father’s three surviving instruments: a Conn-manufactured saxophone, a tenor saxophone made by Dolnet and a clarinet by H. Bettoney, as well as a signature porkpie hat that defined Young’s style and swagger. He was the template for popular cultural jazz aesthetics and helped set the standard for what was viewed as hip and cool.

Young is part of the top tier of the 20th century’s most respected saxophonists. His musicianship set the standard for modern jazz and his recording legacy continues to inspire generations of saxophonists influenced by his playing style. He recorded often with Billie Holiday and she nicknamed him “Prez” after President Franklin Roosevelt, whom she considered to be the “greatest man around.” In many jazz circles he is recognized as the “President of the Tenor Saxophone.”

“Young, a tenor saxophonist, fashioned a voice in jazz all his own, with his gentler style standing in contrast to the more aggressive format of his era,” said curator Theodore S. Gonzalves. “A touchstone figure in jazz history, these artifacts will provide us with new opportunities to engage our visitors in multiple stories about Young’s career, personal life and cultural impact.”

Charlie Young (no relation), SJMO artistic director, conductor and Howard University professor, will guide the ensemble through Young’s vast recorded history from his early days with the Count Basie Orchestra to his 1957 performance with Holiday on CBS’ The Sound of Jazz television broadcast. Among the repertoire will be “Oh Lady Be Good” from 1939 for the Basie Orchestra, “Lester Leaps In” from his own composition in 1939 and “Fine and Mellow” from 1957 with Holiday. The concert is sold out.

The SJMO was founded in 1990 with an appropriation from the U.S. Congress in recognition of the importance of jazz in American culture and its status as a national treasure. A cornerstone of the Smithsonian’s commitment to jazz, the SJMO has performed for audiences at its museum home in Washington., across the United States, Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Its concerts, by the full orchestra and smaller groups, include transcribed works, as well as new arrangements, commissioned works and programs that illuminate the contributions of small ensembles and jazz masters who contributed to the development of American jazz and defined the music’s character. More information about the SJMO is available at Smithsonianjazz.org.

Young’s instruments complement the museum’s extensive collection of 20th-century jazz artifacts associated with African American musicians in particular. Conn is one of the oldest instrument manufacturers in the U.S. and first manufactured saxophones in 1888 in Elkhart, Indiana. Dolnet is a small French company that produced a limited number of clarinets and saxophones between 1880 and 1945. The Bettoney metal clarinet was manufactured in Boston.

Through incomparable collections, rigorous research and dynamic public outreach, the National Museum of American History explores the infinite richness and complexity of American history. The museum is home to the largest museum collection of jazz history—artifacts from Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Tito Puente and many other creative giants. The museum established Jazz Appreciation Month in 2001, which is now celebrated every April throughout the United States and in more than 30 countries. The museum is located on Constitution Avenue N.W., between 12th and 14th streets, and is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (closed Dec. 25). Admission is free. For more information, visit http://americanhistory.si.edu. For Smithsonian information, the public may call (202) 633-1000. On social media, the museum can be found at @americanhistory, and on Twitter and Instagram at @amhistorymuseum.

KCLizard, SOONERFAN, Noonie and 10 others like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Something unusual that I will check out.

Duets

[​IMG]

Sorcerer likes this.
  10. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Irie! That's reggae weather.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

From saxophone from Japan, to saxophone from India.

I enjoy exploring saxophone as used in the music of different cultures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lschwart likes this.
  12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I tried Google but came up without a hit. Could you provide a link, please?

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Irish traditional music arranged for saxophone.

In one conversation with Sonny Rollins, I told him I enjoyed imagining him playing a suite of traditional Irish slow airs (aside from Danny Boy)

He said he loved that music and was very interested in the idea, but he never got around to making a record

[​IMG]

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was on a well known Russian torrent tracker. These kind of records had very limited distribution. Maybe a Japanese site would have it.

It was released in 2014

Saxophone: Yang Xian
    Guzheng: Fu Na

Title: Fu Na & Yang Xian — Golden Miracle

Japanese Title: 付娜、杨弦 — 金色奇迹

Setlist

01. 倩女幽魂 The Ghost Story 3:47
    02. 那些年 Those Years 5:55
    03. 我愿意 I Do 4:14
    04. 情书 Love Letter 4:55
    05. 如果没有你 If Not Will You 4:16
    06. 斯卡布罗集市 Scarborough Fair 4:31
    07. 味道 Taste 4:15
    08. 我可以抱你吗 Can I Hold You 4:00
    09. 隐形的翅膀 Invisible Wings 4:07
    10. 月满西楼 Full Moon Of West Building 4:14
    11. 千言万语 A Thousand Words 4:04
    12. 纸船 Paper Boats 4:09

Sorcerer likes this.
  15. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Thanks, I know what tracker you're talking about. Sounds like something I would be interested in. Hopefully we will be able to locate physical copies if it is to our liking.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  17. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Tat album is pure magic.

18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Purchased yesterday on Amazon Italy. It has become rare. I was lucky to have found a new sealed copy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  19. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I couldn't sleep all night, so needed someone to musically keep me company through the wee hours. This time I went with Mrs. Alice Coltrane, and I can't imagine more engaging music for the weary soul. So far I'm through Huntington Ashram Monastery, World Galaxy, and Journey In Satchidananda. Right now I'm listening to her Warner Bros recordings.

[​IMG]

Ray Cole, KCLizard, Noonie and 9 others like this.
  20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Jim Fielder blossomed as a bass player after Buffalo Springfield let him go...they felt he couldn't quite fill Bruce Palmer's shoes (who was the heartbeat of Springfield). But when Fielder joined Blood Sweat & Tears, man! did he blossom! Some of the best basslines in jazz...or jazz/rock fusion or what ever.

[​IMG]

This 1968 LP was cited a few posts back, but worth repeating.

Smiling Phases...stunning basslines throughout this 1968 LP, and the jazzy piano break is stunning. And those horns!

KCLizard, Robitjazz, jay.dee and 4 others like this.
  21. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Now experiencing,
    Either Orchestra

[​IMG]

When Mingus said "let my children hear music", was he talking about these guys?!

KCLizard, jay.dee and Fischman like this.
  22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

lschwart and frightwigwam like this.
  23. Berthold

Duke Ellington: Such Sweet Thunder

[​IMG]

xybert, mwheelerk, jcarter and 7 others like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden - Beyond The Missouri Sky (Verve)
    Someone mentioned this the other day. It is also one by Pat I really enjoy, especially early/first cup of tea.

Berthold, xybert, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  25. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Tim Buckley Blue Afternoon (WQCP-1402)
    Tower Records Japan exclusive CD.