Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...first tunes of the weekend. :cool::thumbsup:

NP:

Larry Young ‎– Unity

[​IMG]
    Label:
    Blue Note ‎– CDP 7 84221 2, Blue Note ‎– CDP 0777 7 84221 2 9
    Series:
    Blue Note Collector's Choice
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Repress
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz

Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on November 10, 1965

...gonna spend a few hours with that Mingus/Atlantic box next. A good day ahead. Enjoy! :cheers:

2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Larry Coryell - At The Village Gate (Real Gone Music RGM-5093)

January 1971 live recording as a trio with Coryell, Marvin Bronson and Harry Wilkinson. Great sound too !

[​IMG]

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

The American Metaphysical Circus by Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies.

The American Metaphysical Circus...Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies.

[​IMG]

By many lists it is rated in the top 10 best experimental/jazz/classical/psych albums of all time.

Theodore Greene (September 26, 1946 – July 23, 2005) was an American fingerstyle jazz guitarist, columnist, session musician and educator in Encino, California.
    Although Greene is often regarded as a jazz musician, he played many musical styles. He was known to guitarists for his role as a music educator, which included private teaching, seminars at the Guitar Institute of Technology, columns for Guitar Player magazine, and his instructional books on harmony, chord melody, and single-note soloing. A voracious reader of almost any book on music theory, especially from the common practice period (circa 1600–1900) he distilled complex concepts regarding the structure of western music and would write out more accessible versions for students to understand (handed out to students in the form of lesson "sheets"), often applying keyboard concepts to the guitar. For example, many transcriptions of the chorales of J. S. Bach would be re-written for guitar with useful analysis applicable to any musical setting
    He would also make occasional live appearances at clubs in the San Fernando Valley, usually playing a Fender Telecaster.
    Greene typically worked as a vocal accompanist, which he preferred because he found group settings restrictive. While he was a sought-after session musician, he derived much of his income from tutoring. He wrote four books on the subject of jazz guitar performance and theory: Chord Chemistry, Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar, and the two-volume Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing.[1]
    Ted Greene - Wikipedia

The American Metaphysical Circus

The American Metaphysical Circus is a 1969 album by Joseph "Joe" Byrd. It was recorded after his departure from the band The United States of America, and featured some of the earliest recorded work in rock music extensively utilizing synthesizers and vocoder, along with an extended group of West Coast studio musicians Byrd named "The Field Hippies".

The album is most noted for "The Sub-Sylvian Litanies", which opened Side A. This three-part suite has been described as "an entire acid trip in 11 minutes".[3] Other album highlights include the equally psychedelic "The Elephant at the Door", and the politically charged "Invisible Man", written for and aimed squarely at President Lyndon B. Johnson. Two of the more unusual tracks on the record are "Mister Fourth of July" — a ragtime tune complete with scratchy 78RPM-style effects, and "Leisure World", featuring narration from long-time ABC voice-over and "Ghoulardi" originator Ernie Anderson in an ode to California's first retirement mega-community.

Among the musicians featured on the record are prominent West Coast studio musicians Tom Scott and the late Ted Greene, who is credited with the album's stellar guitar work in one of his few recorded appearances. Meyer Hirsch was a member of the Buddy Rich Big Band and is an experimental composer. Vocalist Victoria Bond has gone on to a prominent career as a classical composer, conductor and vocalist. Fred Selden, a student of Byrd's at UCLA, joined the Don Ellis Orchestra (led by Byrd's partner in the UCLA New Music Workshop), received a Grammy nomination, and later returned to UCLA to receive his Ph.D.

The extensive use of effects, delays, echoes, backwards vocals and other recording tricks and techniques are reminiscent of some of the experiments and work carried out by George Martin as well as Pink Floyd.[original research?] Byrd referenced Martin in a 2004 interview.[4]

The American Metaphysical Circus - Wikipedia

Released on Columbia Masterworks' gray label:

[​IMG]

Full album here:
    YouTube

• Pot (Phillip Namanworth)[8]– Piano, Conductor, Harpsichord
    • Ed Sheftel – Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    • Christie Thompson – Vocals (Lead on "Mister 4th of July")
    • Ernest "Ernie" Anderson – Voices
    • Fred Selden – Clarinet, Saxophones, Flute
    • Ted Greene – Guitar
    • Joseph Hunter Byrd – Organ, Producer, Vocals, Keyboards, Conductor, Synthesizer (Lead vocals on "Nightmare Train", "Invisible Man", "The Sing-Along Song")
    • Larry Kass – Tabla
    • Michael Whitney – Guitar (Classical)
    • Chuck Bennett – Bass Trombone
    • Victoria Bond – Vocals (Lead on "Kalyani", "Patriot's Lullabye", "Leisure World")
    • Bob Breault – Engineer
    • Ray Cappocchi – Tuba, Tenor Trombone
    • Dana Chalberg – Flute, Piccolo
    • John Clauder – Percussion, Drums
    • Susan de Lange – Vocals, Electronic Voices (Lead on "You Can't Ever Come Down", "Moonsong: Pelog", "The Elephant at the Door")
    • Meyer Hirsch – Flute, Saxophones
    • Don Kerian – Trumpet, Cornet
    • Gregg Kovner – Drums, Percussion
    • Tom Scott – Clarinet, Saxophones, Flute
    • Harvey Newmark – Bass (uncredited on album)
    • Harihar Rao – Percussion (uncredited on album)
    • Paul Welborne – audio reproduction consultant
    • Roger Phillip – assistant to Joseph Byrd

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Sam Rivers - Wave (Tomato) green label 1978

7. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

You get bonus points if you know what kind of ale he's drinking?

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Erik B. like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I am sure you guys are aware of this chap Dan The Jazz Shepherd, but I subscribe to his channel on YouTube, and its a great source of information and very rare jazz recordings (as well as the classics). Well worth a watch....although the guys costing me a fortune on recordings I didn't know I needed.

The Jazz Shepherd

FunkJazz likes this.
  9. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Horn/Griner also shot the covers for The Dave Brubeck Quartet/ At Carnegie Hall, Les McCann/ McCanna, Mongo Santamaria/ La Bamba, Barbra Streisand/ A Christmas Album, Charlie Byrd/ Delicately, Chicago/ III and Chicago/ A Group Portrait, and Blood, Sweat & Tears/ No Sweat. And then, if Discogs is reliable on this, they evidently got out of the business.

I think the Streisand Christmas Album cover is particularly great, an archetypal religious image.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, xybert and Robitjazz like this.
  10. dennis the menace

Larry Coryell - Barefoot Boy (BGP Records CDBGPM-269)

Recorded in 1972 with Mervin Bronson (b.), Roy Haynes (d.), Harry Wilkinson on percussions and Steve Markus on tenor and soprano.

Great guitar work by Coryell.

[​IMG]

11. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Saturday, 7 pm. I was outside, sun was still hot, and I was hiding in the small shade of my barbecue spot.

Cleaning the grills and starting the fire to cook some meat for the family. The bluetooth column was near. And using the magic of internet I was playing an album lost for decades.

There you have it. Years of evolution paying off: Yesternow playing stonebone outside using his mobile.

Kids just don't realize how easy it is nowadays. Maybe that's why they are usually unsatisfied with everything.

[​IMG]

Cooking a steak with a beer in my hand and listening to Stonebone.
    Unsatisfied?! Yes... With the volume... Let me fix it... :cool:

12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Wow! That looks like a classic I need to chase down. Do you have a link for a listen?

Hmmm, your grillin' is smellin' good already!

13. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Stonebone is back on YouTube now, in the past it has always been taken off but maybe now is different since it is a 2020 RSD issue which has now been pushed to September I believe

15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Found this Ted Curson in the bins and I needed something to play other than The New Thing and the Blue Thing. Side One is his quartet from 1964 with Bill Barron, Herb Bushler and Dick Berk. Side 2 is using the Zagreb Radio Orchestra and is a live recording from the Yugoslavian Jazz Festival around 1967ish. Very much like the Tolliver Big Band where the orchestra is coloring in the background and Ted is out front
    [​IMG]

16. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Bought almost forty years ago.
    Very nice! Influenced by Jimi Hendrix power trio.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You get my Louis Armstrong autograph if you can tell me where the weed he is smoking comes from.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

To me, Peter Nero has recorded one of the greatest Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue with The Boston Pops.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  19. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I do also Lonson. The clip below is one of my favorites. These two are magic together.

YouTube

This is another nice version of the same some.

YouTube

I just love these performances.

Lonson likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Sam Rivers - Contrasts (ECM)

I've been on a Rivers kick lately. Maybe it's been the heat....

jcarter, davidpoole, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  21. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

J. J. Johnson - The Eminent, Vol. 1

[​IMG]

22. dennis the menace

Kids maybe unsatisfied because they don`t appreciate "Cooking a steak with a beer in my hand and listening to Stonebone". That`s the good life !!! Enjoy !

23. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...excellent! :cheers:

[​IMG]

Yesternow likes this.
  24. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...if it was good, India. :D

25. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...as always, late to the festivities. I love me a good BBQ BYOB... I feel privileged just hanging out. Good music, good food, good ale, good company. Come’on now. Nothing else needed. :cheers: