Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The Analogue Productions mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman sounds very nice.

Starwanderer, Tim 2 and Electric like this.
  2. dennis the menace

I thought about it earlier and will compare later today. I changed my speakers a few weeks ago, this plus my new Esoteric will probably change the way I perceive some masterings.

Sorcerer and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Sonny Rollins Alfie (UCCI-40018)

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Of the four choices on Tidal one said original master, another was a 2003 remaster, the last two didn't say. I took the original. Very nice album, will put it on my must purchase list.

5. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Sorry I don't have the 2009 CD. I don't think there was a 1999 Japanese SACD. I often use Tower Records Japan タワーレコード オンライン | CD、映像、本、グッズの通販 to check on releases and there is nothing listed there. They tend not to delete things that are no longer in print.

Sorcerer likes this.
  6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

This Californian had a hard time with the heat and the humidity the last few days here in Italy, I can handle a dry heat but that humidity still takes getting use to.

Sunday = Monk day. 1971 Trio recording with Art Blakey.
    NP: Thelonious Monk - Something In Blue

[​IMG]

7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon and thinking about masters who never got the flowers they deserved while still alive to smell it. This man fits the bill.

[​IMG]

8. dennis the menace

Ben Monder - Hydra (Sunnyside SSC-1357)

Didn`t know this album until recently recommended on this thread. Certainly glad to know it now, great music.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Starwanderer likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. jcarter

jcarter Forum Resident

It is in fact a small world...

Tribute likes this.
  11. JP: Max Roach - Deeds, Not Words
    "You Stepped Out of a Dream" is one of my favorite jazz tracks. It starts slow and when the bass and drums kick in after a minute...well, it has me whirling around the room. Jazz at its most exciting. In a shoot out of the recent digitally-sourced OJC vinyl vs. George Horn's reissue from the 70s, Horn won hands down. And I got to listen to this track a half dozen times until I was certain.

NP: The Bud Shank Quartet
    [​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was 81 years ago today that Ella Fitzgerald announced in Billboard that she would continue with the Chick Webb Band as the leader, according to Chick's last wishes.

Ella started her first gig as the leader of the band the very next day July 6, 1939, in Loew's Theater, where Chick Webb had started the whole thing off.

This blurred image was certainly intended by the owner, from later that year

[​IMG]

Now as far as Ella is concerned, she can represent our nation far better than most politicians

[​IMG]

13. NP: Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata (Wally Traugott DMM at Capitol 1985 vs. Kevin Gray at Cohearant pressed at Pallas 2020)

The Pallas pressing is noisier than the 35 year old Capitol/SRC press, which is shameful. There's a ghosting on the Cohearant version (where you hear the sound echoed with a slight delay), more apparent than on Traugott's. Traugott's is brighter, noticeable on Dorham's trumpet, but not unpleasantly so. Gray's warmer, more analogue. I'm A-B-ing the title track repeatedly and enjoying getting deep into this one track. Still debating which to keep.

[​IMG]

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Monday morning Miles . . .

[​IMG]
    1966/2014 Columbia ‎– CS 9401 (KPG@CA)

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Late Sunday afternoon vinyl players.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. NP: Maynard Ferguson - M. F. Horns
    This record came with a recent Discogs order, thrown in, perhaps as a perk and to provide structural support to the packaging.
    I have studiously avoided Ferguson's discography, coming across it mostly in the $1 bin, but figured I'd give the Canuck a fair try.
    The 2* review on AllMusic both compliments Ferguson's screaming trumpet and warns listeners of the pop compositions.
    Listening to 'Theme from Shaft" - well, it is high energy, relatively well recorded, but life is too short. This is moving to another $1 bin.

[​IMG]

17. Is this the Sam's Records 10" version? How is the sound?
    I was contemplating making use of the Acoustic Sounds sale that ends tonight, so would be great to have your perspective.

Fender Relic likes this.
  18. NP: Max Roach - Bright Moments
    Back on track, now with double quartet quirkiness, and strings.

[​IMG]

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Grant Green - Solid. (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing

Almighty st played this earlier but grabbed Street Of Dreams instead. Really like his take on the George Russell song. Joe Henderson once again features prominently.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

An advertisment from when Chick Webb and Ella Fitzgerald did a show before a new motion picture. This is from September 30, 1938, or during that week, when this film opened (and they would never stay for more than one week)

The irony in the name of that film (Girl's School) is striking, as many may know by now that Ella escaped from a prison-like reform school in Hudson NY to find her career.

If she had not broken out of that abusive prison, we most likely would never have heard from her, and the world would be a far poorer place

[​IMG]

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The images that were distributed of the reform school/prison where Ella Fitzgerald was incarcerated and abused tried to depict it as a wonderful place. Then, the name of the place was "The New York State Training School for Girls" to add to that image. Some may have had noble intentions, but it was a place of abuse and surrounded by barbed wire. If you were an uninhibited and streetwise girl in New York, you just might end up there if you did not have parents who could stop it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Girls were not paid for their labor. Very convenient.

[​IMG]

So Ella was sent to a prison to be abused because at age 15 she would not obey commands. Whether her mother actually had anything to do with this action is unknown, despite the log entry. You will note that the same boilerplate reason was given for the next girl in the log. It was probably used for almost every girl.

Five years later, she was at the top of the entertainment world.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, peter1, jcarter and 6 others like this.
  22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yes, Sam 10....Sounds great. I did happen to get one of the first press slightly noisy ones but I think the one you'd order now has taken care of the problem with a second press. Buy with confidence.

davidpoole and Stu02 like this.
  23. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I didn’t know anything about him until a few days ago when I picked up the lp. He apparently scored over 50 movies. Will have to look up the Moscow stuff.

Robitjazz likes this.
  24. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

The 2020 was pressed at Optimal, not Pallas. In my experience Pallas is a much superior pressing plant.

It’s a shame that both the mastering (Kevin Gray) and the plating (RTI) are done in the USA and then, in an obvious cost cutting measure, Universal decides to go over seas to Optimal for the pressing and cheap flimsy Sleeves and paper jackets.

davidpoole likes this.
  25. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Just received a nice AS order today. First up, the AP 45 of Cannonball Adderley's Something Else. Woof, sounds incredible.