Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

A
    Agree, this is a wonderfully mastered and pressed.

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Cool retro (now) album art...

davidpoole likes this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

after all

jcarter likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Johnny Griffith - Little Giant (Riverside) XRCD
    My favorite Johnny Griffith album no doubt.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

An unusual Sarah Vaughan image

[​IMG]

jcarter, Noonie, davidpoole and 5 others like this.
  6. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

7. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

With some beer and smokes listened to the following albums last friday night:

John Coltrane Blue Train (2008 AP 45 rpm 2 LPs) Acoustech

Tina Brooks- The Waiting Game (2002 BN CD)
    Bobby Hutcherson- The Kicker (1999 BN CD)

Both of the above CDs were mastered by Ron McMaster and they sound very good.

I have the MMJ Blue Train mono 33rpm lp in themail on the way and can't wait to listen to it.

alarickc, Noonie, davidpoole and 7 others like this.
  8. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Since several days I´m spending the whole day listening to one special musician.
    That´s very intense and I like this kind of listening.

So I will start the week with Ahmad Jamal.

Ahmad Jamal: Chamber Music Of The New Jazz

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Irish51, jcarter and 11 others like this.
  9. Berthold

Ahmad Jamal Trio: At The Pershing

[​IMG]

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

11. Berthold

Ahmad Jamal: The OKeh & Epic Records

[​IMG]

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Allen Toussaint's The Bright Mississippi made great 4th of July listening this weekend:

[​IMG]

Brilliant sounding recording too. Great playing from Don Byron in particular throughout.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    mwheelerk, jcarter, jonwoody and 6 others like this.
  13. Disc 3 from the 4CD boxset JIMMY GIUFFRE / THE COMPLETE REMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK SAINT AND SOUL NOTE

[​IMG]

LIQUID DANCERS - THE JIMMY GIUFFRE 4 (Soul Note) CD

Recorded April 24th, 1989 at RBY Recording Studios, Southbury, Connecticut and released 1991.

This album features the same musicians as the previous two records. It has more of a noticeable 80s/90s vibe and (on one hearing) may not be just as crucial as the previous two in the set - but it does has it's moments.

jcarter, jonwoody, davidpoole and 4 others like this.
  14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Anthony Braxton Standard Quartet
    Alter Schl8hof
    Wels, Austria

Source: dvb-s > digital devices cine s2 v7a twin tuner > hdd > nero wave editor > flac
    (mpeg1 layer 2/256 kbps) [radio station - oe1]

Anthony Braxton - alto, soprano & sopranino saxophones
    Alexander Hawkins - piano
    Neil Charles - bass
    Stephen Davis - drums

Disc 1
    01. Like Sonny 16:19
    02. Equinox 07:40
    03. Where The Blue Night Meets The Gold Of The Day 05:58
    04. Fusion 1 06:04
    05. Off Minor 10:00

Disc 2
    01. Groovin‘ High 11:59
    02. Skating In Central Park 11:23
    03. When Joanna Loved Me 09:23
    04. Unforgettable 05:53
    05. The Bridge 11:19

jay.dee, jcarter, alarickc and 5 others like this.
  15. Berthold

Ahmad Jamal Trio: Ahmad´s Blues

[​IMG]

16. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio - East Coast Love Affair (Fresh Sound New Talent FSNT-016CD)

First album by Rosenwinkel, a Trio date at the Small`s Club in NYC, July 1996.

Avishai Cohen is on bass on Jorge Rossy is on drums.

Highly overlooked album IMHO.

[​IMG]

17. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I was at all three nights they played at Cafe Oto in London the week before - apparently everything they played on tour is going to be out in a box set at some point. No tune was played more than once on tour. I've met AB on a couple of occasions now but know the other three pretty well.

18. lemonade kid

A few more from Ackles...and this rare live set and interview from Norwegian TV 1969.
    The last song is actually NOT lip synced and as always, stunning. He definitely has that old 30's and 40's jazzman vibe. After failing to make a mark, Ackles returned to teaching music at uni, and contined to write music, though sadly never released.

Quite stunning if you've never heard David...

[​IMG]

Elton's hero...

Rolling Stone:

Some albums don’t fit neatly into any category: they are experimental, or spoken word, or a fusion of jazz and opera, or actual recordings of whale songs. Nevertheless, these 10 albums from the Seventies have unifying qualities: they were strange, they didn’t sell, we legitimately dug them...
    1) David Ackles, ‘American Gothic’
    Ackles, a former child actor, came from a vaudeville family. For a time, he was a staff writer at Elektra Records, but when none of the label's artists wanted to record his theatrical songs, he did it himself. American Gothic, his third album, produced by Bernie Taupin, sounds like Neil Diamond starring in an obscure Brecht-Weill musical. Highlight: the 11-minute "Montana Song." Ackles died in 1999, but when Elvis Costello was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame four years later, he named Ackles as an essential influence in his acceptance speech.
    What We Said Then: "Ackles is an important artist whose work eludes categorization. It has almost no relation to rock & roll and a lot more to do with musical theater. . . The musical materials of the album are brilliantly eclectic and ordered with such formal precision as to warrant concert hall production of the song cycle just as it is on record. Chief among the many influences on Ackles' music are Kurt Weill and Aaron Copland, who for Ackles respectively represent brazen actuality and mythic search." — Stephen Holden, RS 117 (September 14, 1972)

10 Weird Albums Rolling Stone Loved in the 1970s You've Never Heard - Rolling Stone
    [​IMG]

Elton John & Elvis Costello honoring David Ackles:
    The tragic and beautiful "Down River"

YouTube

:tiphat:

Mike6565 likes this.
  19. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Lucky you! :) That's great news. I'll buy the box set for sure. This particular show was uploaded yesterday at Dimeadozen.

20. lemonade kid

David Ackles...unlike anything we've ever heard from one of Elektra's stable of "rockers" or folkies...jazz, art theatre, classical, Americana, Hoagy styled at times...at other times stunning ballads or Copeland Americana.

track 1) American Gothic

track 4) Ballad Of Ship Of State...a mix of Copeland and jazz and....so much going on here.
    And those lyrics!
    YouTube

[​IMG]

Mike6565 likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

Ackles...One Night Stand

Sonny Come Home...this develops so unexpectedly
    YouTube

Mike6565 likes this.
  22. Berthold

Ahmad Jamal: The Argo Sessions #5

[​IMG]

23. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

@Lonson @dennis the menace I just listened a bit to both the 2020 MQA and 2013 Platinum SHM-CD of A Love Supreme. I can see why Dennis is unsure about the sound of the tenor. The tenor does sound more full (?) on the Platinum. The 2020 MQA also has more top end.

What I am now wondering about is what tape sources were used. As far as I am aware there was the tape discovered in London, UK, first used in 2002 by Rudy Van Gelder for the Deluxe Edition (and 2002 SACD I assume). That tape was without some of the drawbacks of the tape(s) used over the previous decades (except the very first vinyl?).

The rediscovery of the original master tapes was announced in 2015 and they were used for the domestic A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters 3CD set, released November 2015. Now the Platinum SHM-CD was released November 2013. Were the rediscovered tapes already used for the 2013 Platinum SHM-CD or was the 2002 London tape used? If the 2020 MQA is also a flat transfer can the differences result from these two releases being from differing tape sources? Or is the 2020 MQA not a flat transfer even though I think it does not sound any louder than the 2020 MQA? Anyway, I like both.

(By the way, the 2018 MQA used the 2002 DSD.)

dennis the menace likes this.
  24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I spent an afternoon in Boston with Julius Hemphill and did not get the impression that he was much concerned with what he deserved. He understood what he was up against, and most things in fact, much better than I did. I enjoy the music he left behind.

peter1, btf1980, Stu02 and 6 others like this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I managed to sneak this one in, the new MQA/UHQCD or "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" from Impulse! Japan.
    [​IMG]
    Sounds awesome!
    And followed it with this:
    Miles Davis "Four and More" MoFiSACD
    [​IMG]