Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"The Dixie Sound of Jack Teagarden" Roulette stereo LP
    [​IMG]

2. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

[​IMG]
    Well, I have a nice collection of "Music Matters" Blue Note vinyl that I acquired before the company went berserk with their pricing model. I think I paid $29.99 for this classic Wayne Shorter "Speak No Evil" 33.3 LP. I will buy no more from them.
    In the meantime, I am enjoying the ones I do have. What a lineup here...Shorter, Hubbard, Hancock, Carter and Elvin Jones doing their thing in spectacular fidelity. Originally issued in 1966, this version was released in 2015. Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder. Six tracks of bliss on this Thursday out here.

KCLizard, Berthold, Xelfo and 24 others like this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Well, this is one I don't have. I've got the US version of Blues In The Night called Standards and his trio session on Time Records. I like them both, so need to check this one out. :cheers:

Sorcerer, Lonson and JazzFanatic like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As a former hitch-hiker myself, I have thought often through these years about the poor hitch-hikers who were trying to meet Jack Kerouac. Most of them probably hitched all the way from California to meet Kerouac and share their stories of being "On the Road". Though it was a lot easier to hitch in 1959-1965, it still was hard and especially hard through the NYC region (I struggled with that many times).

They hitched and suffered for over 3,000 miles, got to the house, saw the lights on, and their hearts were racing. They usually arrived around suppertime, possibly thinking that was a good time to catch Jack. Then they discovered a middle class family in the kitchen, and only a statement from my Mom that she didn't know where he was. Yet he was only a 5 minute walk away. We all kept the secret.

My father had also been a hitch-hiker. We did not have a car in the early 1950's, and my father hitched 40 miles in each direction to his job (through the NYC area) and made it to work on time every day. But in the early 50's, if the first or second car passed you by, the 3rd or 4th probably gave you a ride.

My mother liked the Beats, and my father liked hitch-hikers and oddballs. So that is probably why they invited these hitch-hikers in for dinner. Hitch-hikers rarely refuse free food.

I dig the likelihood that we had dinner with a 19 year old Bob Dylan. Being smart, Bob probably took the train out for $3 and walked the mile from the train station. But some hitch-hikers, like me, would probably prefer to suffer through hitching in NYC than spend $3 (especially when that was one way).

Dylan at Kerouac's grave in 1975

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I seriously object to those fans who trash his grave. Most often it is seriously littered with dozens of cigarettes, empty beer cans, and many wine and liquor bottles.

If these fans thought about Kerouac, they would leave a Buddha or Buddhist relics and art.

This is one of the least littered photos out there.

[​IMG]

This stone was put up many years later. It wasn't there the last time I was there, circa 2000. I see about 30 ball point pens here. Kerouac typed. He did not write his novels in pen.

[​IMG]

5. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Being from Canada, I feel blessed living in such a great environment. We`re indeed very welcoming. Hopefully the situation south of the border will improve and someone will take over soon to really make America great again...you guys deserve better.

6. dennis the menace

Still waiting for this one………..

BKphoto likes this.
  7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

8. dennis the menace

What do you mean ? Overrated in what way ?

9. Lonson

I think you'll find this and Africa Brass worth the wait. . . .

dennis the menace likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Please god, yes. In the 60's I seriously considered moving there (Nam, you know) and Canada's lookin' better and better once again. We have hope...come November.

Cheers to you and all our friends in Quebec! We were near the Quebec border a couple years ago at Moxie Falls near the West Forks...we could smell the clean air of Canada from there...Maine air is pretty pure too.
    Our beautiful 90 foot Moxie Falls, from a shot I took. Note the dude at the top of the falls...

[​IMG]

There must be a good jazz piece for this beauty...

11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

For a moment, I was a little bothered about what they might have done with Stella, but evidently the new stone is just at the foot of their graves, not in place of the old marker, and it looks like Jack is actually buried in Stella's Sampas family plot with her parents and a brother who was killed in World War II. Presumably, Vee Kay was her older sister.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    vanhooserd and lemonade kid like this.
  12. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I traveled to Canada for the first time last Summer and was taken aback by how calm and free it seemed. Everybody was so low key and friendly.

13. lemonade kid

Thanks for all the memories, Tribute. I often think if Kerouac when listening to those old Greenwich musicians and the beat poets...Eric Andersen especially.
    Those were the days, and I ain't waxing nostalgic, I just loved those days.

:ed:

Levi's Tubs likes this.
  14. dennis the menace

Clifford Brown - Brownie Speaks: The Complete Blue Note Recordings (Blue Note B-0020657-2)

Soooooooo good !!

[​IMG]

KCLizard, Berthold, jcarter and 18 others like this.
  15. lemonade kid

When we were at Moxie we seriously wanted to head straight west for Montreal, only a couple hours over the border. So sad there is no longer a free exchange between us...we had no passports on us. We also used to zip up to Campobello International Park pre-passport days. Beautiful.

16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Any info on the mastering? Do they sound like previously issued masterings?

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. dennis the menace

You have to come to Montréal next summer late June early July for The Montréal International Jazz Festival. It`s terrific and there are hundreds of free outdoor concerts on "La Place Des Festivals". Great time for sure !

KCLizard likes this.
  18. Lonson

As with any of these they don't have any mastering info in the material. It's likely a previous mastering--it says "reissued" and "Master Work" in online descriptions. But I probably no longer have the mastering it is reissuing. And. . . on my system there is a certain detailed smoothness I hear on UHQCD that seems subtly different than plain redbook compound and that sounds an improvement to me. I like the sound of these. . . I'll compare these to the versions I saved of previous copies one of these days soon.

19. NP: Art Pepper - New York Album (Galaxy LP)

Did Art Pepper have weak links in his discography? Perhaps. Either way, I'll enjoy re-listening to this batch.
    I have a few digitally too (Intensity, Getting Together, Meets the Rhythm Section)

What am I missing?

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

I really like the Savoy and Discovery recordings. Worth seeking out a listen.

21. dennis the menace

No weak titles there. I love the late 50s albums released on Contemporary like Meets The Rhythm Section, Gettin' Together and Art Pepper + Eleven personnally.

JazzFanatic and davidpoole like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No that is not signed to me, though I have a number of signed LPs and CDs by Marian. It may possibly be signed to Fred Hersch...I wondered.

I hesitate to make recommendations, as she was very consistent through her career. So, I would search for used CD bargains. Some of her Concord label discs were reissued as parts of bargain priced two CD sets. I also enjoy the beautiful and rarely performed Ellington tune "The Single Petal of a Rose" and that is on her Ellington tribute CD titled after that tune.

Though a bunch of her radio programs were edited and issued as CDs, the vast majority were not.

If there is anyone out there who collected recordings of her radio programs, please private message me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zappa was on her show in 1988!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KCLizard, peter1, jcarter and 9 others like this.
  23. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

I just purchased this LP in the classifieds, looking forward to checking it out! :cheers:

JazzFanatic and Yesternow like this.
  24. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

I grabbed this from deep discount sale last month, it’s great!

25. Lonson

Barney Wilen/Alain Jean-Marie "Montreal Duets" 2 disc set on Elemental.
    WOW.
    [​IMG]