Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Behold the Spear burning!

[​IMG]

SOCIAL LIVING | BURNING SPEAR (One Stop / Island) LP (1978)
    Possibly the most crucial heavyweight roots Reggae album ever! Serious business lyrics - as relevant now as when they were written. Great vocals, and more than a hint of deep dub sounds and top class playing from all the hornsmen - top Jazz musicians ever one.

* There is also a killer dub LP from these sessions that are more than well worth checking out. Both vocal & dub albums were issued on one CD by Island/Universal in 2015.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I had to look up this quote. I was referrrng to David Poole's "it´s mostly the early Pepper which I like most." I really do prefer the early Pepper. Honestly I'm not a big fan of "Coltranesque Pepper." I've nearly sold my VV set a few times but don't know where the box and booklet are in storage and keep thinking maybe one day I'll really enjoy this material. I prefer the Artist's Choice box set material to the VV set . . . But I like the material reissued on Savoy and Blue Note much more. Lester Youngesque Pepper.

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Its definitely worth digging up, I generally like the early stuff more but this set is exceptional

Berthold and G L Tirebiter like this.
  4. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Obviously not a professional recording but perfectly listenable. The band seem to be enjoying themselves and put in good performances. Not an essential Monk recording but an interesting insight showing the band going through their paces in an unusual situation.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  5. Lonson

I know I'll never personally consider it "exceptional." I just don't like his style at this time.

Stu02 likes this.
  6. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

My friend selling off his collection (with my assistance) had this original box/book (in mint condition) and sold it about two years ago for over $400. I met him a few months later so don't have to kick myself for missing out on it. I didn't miss out on the (slightly cheaper) Albert Ayler "Holy Ghost" box.

I would contact the company selling those Cecil downloads and make them an offer. I don't think they sell that many. And it never hurts to ask.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Well, first I do not ever miss my cup of coffee (2) in the morning. I am resolved to make another run of listening to each and everyone of the albums in my library again. So I have a couple of playlists I create based on different criteria and string a few albums together usually in the morning and at the end of the day. So far since I started I have listened to 1,006 albums of 3,066. I've done this a couple of times in past years and I think it took me close to two years to complete. It is a good way to remember some albums you have not listened to very often and also to remember how much wonderful music one has. Here is the start of this Sunday's line up.

[​IMG]
    Charlie Haden Quartet West ‎– The Art Of The Song
    Label: Verve Records ‎– 314 547 403-2
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 1999

[​IMG]
    Charlie Hunter Trio ‎– Friends Seen And Unseen
    Label: Ropeadope Records ‎– RCD 16049
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 2004

[​IMG]
    Count Basie, Joe Turner, Eddie "CleanHead" Vinson ‎– Kansas City Shout
    Label: Pablo Records ‎– 3112-52
    Format: CD

8. Like Lonson, I agree the sound is very good on this release but I have always had my doubts about the legitimacy of anything released by American Jazz Classics. I also read somewhere that all the music on Complete Live At The Black Hawk has the stereo channels reversed (left is right and right is left) - although I cannot confirm that as fact.

SOONERFAN and dennis the menace like this.
  9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

By the way, I also doubt that Cecil Taylor Berlin '88 FMP box on Bandcamp comes with the excellent liner notes and photos from the individual CDs' booklets.

Campbell Saddler and Mike6565 like this.
  10. Lonson

The release is "legitimate" where it is released, not necessarily here in the US. But so many US retailers sell it that it's hard to say "shouldn't be bought." It's now a global marketplace and we're nearing a situation where only what's truly bootleg and not grey market is "illegitimate" I think.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I find for me the ‘exceptional’ quality is based the fact that he is playing his heart out .

It feels like he is giving it his ‘last ditch-all in -here i am -remember me ‘ kinda performance.
    He was not a young man ( 51) anymore and had been through the wars of life.

You can feel the band Playing off his energy and he had the audience which in return was feeding energy to the band Like the best live shows can.

Unless you are someone who once your mind is set you never go back and revisit something then Id say really this is worth another shot.
    i dont read this show as an exercise in Coltrane influences.

OK thats my final pitch :p

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ha, understood and that Art Of Song Record is a desert island disc for me. Killer record and rather unique sounding to a degree.

13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    One of the aforementioned beloved sets
    [​IMG]
    friday night at the VV
    Pepper (as)
    Cables (p)
    Mraz (b)
    Elvin (d)

Wow. :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

14. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Paul Chambers: Go #1

[​IMG]

15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Glad, that you have most of the CDs, but I think that for $125 to have 13 CDs of excellent music is good value, I agree that to have the opportunity to downloaded them individually would have been better. BTW I do not have any of these CDs and have not bought it yet, exchange rate in CDN $ is not great at this moment.

Campbell Saddler, GerryO and Sorcerer like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though I believe your comment is satire, I have believed that intentionally destroying the art covers of early to mid 1950's pressings of Clef, Norgran, Savoy and Prestige LPs (along with all other labels) by owners of a rare record shop is definitely blasphemy. They did this to both rare 10 inch and 12 inch LPs. Maybe they have stopped this by now, as they must recognize that they would be hurting their own bottom line.

davidpoole likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A total of $175 for a digital file? That is an extreme rip-off. The record companies love the end of physical media.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  18. Lonson

Lots of persons can play their heart out and their methods don't please or reach me. I have gone through this entire box set at least six times since I bought it near its release and in fact listened to a few discs a few months ago when I had finished the Artist's box set for the first time. It just is not music I enjoy listening to. I am sure I'll spin a disc or two again but I don't think I'll ever find this "exceptional" music in the way you do.

davidpoole and Stu02 like this.
  19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Gotcha. Music lovers interaction w music is definitely in the to each his own category and 6 times listening to it all is giving it more then its fair chance!

Lonson likes this.
  20. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Trying Randy Weston 'Blue Moses' off you tube

21. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

Thanks @Mook for the lost septet release alert. Love those 1971 October/November shows

I've started to play this latest release and something tells me that I've heard better performances from that tour. Sounds wise too.

"It's about that time" changed into something so different from the initial album release.

What I like about that band/short period is that in a lot of places it almost sounds like a studio playing session. I know almost everyone here favors the jazz played live versus studio. But I love to hear those electric piano details, the ambience that your hear in Miles electric studio albums, the silences. And here they create that ambience in several places. Most of all because of Jarret's playing. He is terrific in that tour. Bartz too.

71 Miles, yes!

22. Berthold

Paul Chambers Quintet

[​IMG]

23. This "un-mastered" SACD is still available at Discogs and Amazon in the $30-$35 range, and it sounds gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

24. Berthold

Paul Chambers: Whims Of Chambers

[​IMG]

25. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!