Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

First off the instrumental version of Flying Lotus "Flamagra" on cd. Talk about soundscapes!

[​IMG]

Then on to Kurt Elling "Man in the Air" Blue Note cd.

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wonder where the piano that Duke Ellington kept in his Manhattan apartment resides today.

The one instrument in my house which has the most profound meaning to me is a beat up old trumpet given to me by a very old man, after I told him how moved I was by his story. He told me it had belonged to his father who had brought it along to the trenches in World War I. He said his father played it all day long to help distract his fellow soldiers from the gas, the bombs and the death that surrounded them. To most people it looks like a piece of garbage, corroded and missing the mouthpiece. To me, it brings tears just to touch it. For all I know, it may have been heard by my grandfather's brother who died in those trenches.

[​IMG]

3. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Oh I must leap in and defend the greatness of both the movie and the really, truly excellent original score by Basil Poledouris. I know it is counter intuitive, but that movie had one of the best soundtracks of its decade and i would not want to alter it at all. The love theme played at my wedding!

4. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

This is hands-down my favorite of the Book of Angels releases. Really wonderful.

Mirror Image likes this.
  5. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Artie Shaw: The Last Records vol. 3 #1

[​IMG]

dennis the menace likes this.
  6. Lonson

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nice one!

I just spoke with my aunt who attended Louis' last birthday party with guests in 1970. She said there were a number of people crying when Louis entered the room looking so frail.

[​IMG]

Ant G likes this.
  8. Lonson

I don't doubt that. He did look frail those final months, and he was SO LOVED.

Honorable mention: happy birthday Barack Obama and Billy Bob Thornton (Billy Bob is exactly the same age as I am).

9. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Could be. I know who acquired the horn for the museum. Last I heard he worked for Paul Allen at Experience Hendrix in Seattle.

Stu02 likes this.
  11. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek - a joke that fell flat. The original soundtrack fits the movie, which I enjoy, and is perfect for the film.
    I also enjoy macaroni and cheese with truffle oil. Both the movie and macaroni and cheese are cheesy - cheesy can be great.

Crimson Witch and Ray Cole like this.
  12. Lonson

[​IMG]
    Louis Armstrong "V-Disc"

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Louis and Edward 1970

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Herbie Nichols Trio Love, Gloom, Cash, Love (Bethlehem, CDSOL-45506)
    Sound much improved over all previous Japanese and domestic CDs I've heard.

-------

Still no Monk Palo Alto refund! Yay! :pineapple:

15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

It is fantastic, indeed. Do you have any other favorites? The Book of Angels series from Zorn is something I’m definitely interested in looking more into as I have three volumes so far: Tap, Ipos and, of course, Lucifer. I own around 125 Zorn recordings.

17. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

Pat Metheny Group - Letter From Home

[​IMG]

18. Lonson

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My father said that Bill Mauldin, a fellow soldier in WWII, almost inspired him to become a cartoonist. But he decided to stick with oil painting. He had several of Mauldin's books.

This timeless image, from 1963, was in one of them (not signed to my Dad)

[​IMG]

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jazz Men Detroit (UHQCD)
    Kenny Burrell, Tommy Flanagan, Pepper Adams, Paul Chambers, Kenny Clarke.
    Superb music and sound.

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP John Lewis - Sensitive Scenery (Columbia/Sony) Japanese cd

trio recording

22. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

I don't love Tap, but Ipos is very good. I'd probably recommend Amon next. It's Vol. 24 in the series.

If you like the electric side of things, I also dig the crazy over-the-top fun off Andramelech (Vol 22).

If you like a quieter, more classical (actually, almost medieval in parts) Zorn, then Leonard (Vol. 30) has some haunting music exceptionally well-played.

Mirror Image likes this.
  23. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Charles Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (Impulse!, UCCI-40017), MQA/UHQCD.

24. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I'm really disappointed in myself for passing on this Mosaic Jordan set. Figured I had most of it, and Pure Pleasure has reissued most of it as AAA vinyl......except for the incredible "Shades Of Edward Blackwell". I heard the track "Farid" on the radio one day (!?) and it knocked me out and I went scrambling to find out what it was and how I could get a copy and it appears that this boxed set is cyrrently the only way to get it and it was the first time it was ever released.

If anyone knows differently please let me know. Big Ed Blackwell fan here.

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Cecil Taylor - Live At Café Montmartre (Freedom TKCB-70310)

[​IMG]