Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Jasmin Jasm 1041 [ABC Paramount 109 reissue] The Fourmost Guitars "Jimmy Raney / Chuck Wayne / Joe Puma / Dick Garcia" - rec. 1956

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NP: Yusuf Lateef - Cry! - Tender (60s mono reissue of 1960 New Jazz set, 'RVG')

Lateef's flute really stands out from jazz of the same era, suggesting world music more than the modal jazz of his peers, though it has some of the languorous pace of Miles Davis performances of the era.
    First listen, and this copy will be returned—not a clean one. But glad to familiarize myself with the material.
    I will hold out for the 1970 stereo. The mono fold-down is satisfying enough, but ought to be easier to find a clean copy, and should open up the separation between Hugh Lawson's piano (stage left) and the flute and flugelhorn.

[​IMG]

Berthold, vanhooserd, Stu02 and 6 others like this.
  3. Jasmin JASM 1010 [Coral reissue] Manny Albam " .... and The Jazz Greats Of Our Time Vol. 1" - rec. 1957

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and peter1 like this.
  4. NP: Abdullah Ibrahim - Ekaya (Home)

Yes!!
    First listen, and this is today's highlight, or 'high-life' - S. African inspired jazz.
    Mastered by Van Gelder.
    And having never heard of Ricky Ford, he's on this set too.
    I wasn't familiar with the record label Ekapa, but see its Ibrahim's wife's label for material by one or the other of them (47 titles or so).

[​IMG]

Mugrug12, alarickc, charlesp and 4 others like this.
  5. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Ricky Ford is also a huge part of two other classic albums.

[​IMG]

g[​IMG]

Sorcerer, trd, alarickc and 5 others like this.
  6. Thanks for the intel on Ricky Ford's other work.
    Funny how there are players I've never noticed and suddenly they're all over material I'm checking out.

trd and Dan Steele like this.
  7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - My Favorite Thing (ORG ORGM-1080)

Just because I can't go too long without Trane music. Such a great album and this SACD sounds exquisite.

[​IMG]

8. NP: Henry Threadgill - X-75

First listen, most experimental album of the day. Fun!
    Was there ever a Volume 2? Not seeing anything on Discogs.

[​IMG]

9. So true.
    Coltrane listening and collecting is so absorbing. Your post prompted me to revisit my obsessive research into best sounding Atlantic versions. An uphill battle.
    The Grundman SACD is now going for silly $, but not the 2x45RPM version which is still at retail. Then there's the mono SACD. The 24/96 file (1998), 24/192 file (possibly by Grundman since date is 2014). Ideally I'd have mono 192khz from tapes (similar to the excellent mono Giant Steps from 2014 which is frustratingly and arbitrarily lower frequency on Qobuz than Tidal).
    I have the original stereo CD and original mono LP, and both are necessary and satisfying. But the seeking is never over. It is an homage to periodically obsess, or perhaps a neurosis. Certainly one of my favorite things.

NP: Coltrane - My Favorite Things (Qobuz stereo 24/96 A/B with the Steve Innocenzi 1987 CD, and mono LP).

Cannot stand the 1998 mastering (didn't need much of a reminder), so swiftly reverted to lower res but much improved CD.
    Now settling into the shootout of mono vs. stereo. And I'm reminded of why the Coltrane monos are my favorites.
    I'll keep the original CDs, but the mono mix offers greater cohesion, the mesmeric quality of the extended improvisational grooves is heightened with less distraction (stereo places cymbals far left, Coltrane far right).

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, trd, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  10. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

11. NP: JATP - The Coleman Hawkins Set

[​IMG]

12. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Listening to Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus on Universal Japan's MQA-UHQCD release. I didn't manage to get the Resonance LP set today. I haven't decided yet whether to get it on Discogs. I may get the CD first and decide after that.
    [​IMG]
    P.S. Who else here always hear's Pops singing in their head whenever an album has Mack the Knife on it?

jonwoody, Irish51, davidpoole and 9 others like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Blues, gospel, swing, Cape jazz, a beautiful mission statement...Don Pullen's Evidence of Things Unseen

[​IMG]

Sorcerer, SeeDubs, davidpoole and 5 others like this.
  15. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Pharoah Sanders and Sonny Sharrock on stage in Berlin, 1968.

[​IMG]

16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Next up, VMP’s exclusive pressing of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Just Coolin’ — recorded in 1959 but left unreleased until this year! Nowhere near as bad as I’d read . . .

[​IMG]
    1959/2020 Blue Note ‎– ST-64201
    Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing – KPG@CA
    Exclusive 180g Transparent Gold with Red Hi-Melt Vinyl
    Limited to 1,000 Foil Stamped-Numbered Copies

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

From the last batch of Blue Note Tone Poet releases, Bobby Hutcherson Oblique — recorded in 1967 but unreleased until 1979; this sounds fantastic, one of my favourites of the year . . .

[​IMG]
    1967/1979/2020 Blue Note ‎– ST-31963
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG&JH@CA

trd, WorldB3, Sorcerer and 8 others like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Issued 1962. With Warren Chiasson (vb), Dick Garcia (g), Ralph Peña (b), Vernell Fournier (d) & Armando Peraza (congas). Recorded in the Masonic Auditorium at a show also featuring fellow Capitol artists Peggy Lee & The Kingston Trio. (Think of the possibilities: Shearing sharing a bill with The Beach Boys, The Beatles or Buck Owens). Producers: Dave Cavanaugh & Tom Morgan.

dennis the menace and Berthold like this.
  20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

NP
    Bob Hurst- Unrehurst vol 1

[​IMG]
    The bassist is joined in trio with Damion Reid on drums and Robert Glasper on piano. And it was good.

jay.dee, davidpoole and alarickc like this.
  21. Have the PAUSA reissue but like this original cover better & the music
    ;-]]

vanhooserd likes this.
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

23. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

From the great German retailer JPC, I purchased these ones at a very reasonable price for an amount of € 24,39:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

25. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

earlier this morning

Harry Edison: Sweets

[​IMG]