Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You can find the whole album on YouTube if you want to slum it.

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...last one while at work. Today Amazon finally delivered my Sun Ra Egypt ‘71 box that I pre-ordered back in November, so I’ll be digging into that later this evening. Have a good one everybody.

NP:

Sun Ra - Nothing Is...

[​IMG]
    Recorded May 1966 during a tour of N.Y. state colleges.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

David Axelrod - Seriously Deep
    [​IMG]

I seem to be stuck in 1975, but I'm not complaining. Upon first listen, I liked this bit of jazz-fun/fusion; upon second listen, I loved it. These are excellent compositions. The beats are funky, but not in a repetitive way, and the overall song structures more than adequately support the song run times. Musicianship is more than solid, as is sound quality, and the overall product ends up being highly enjoyable. Any fan of fusion, jazz-funk, or mid 70s music should find a happy home here.

4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

There was a time where I was very proud looking at the covid numbers in my country. Now we're currently one of the worst countries in the world.

This afternoon got a message from @Beatnik_Daddyo'73 regarding a future release. Best thing I've heard in recent times.

That made me play some Herman Sonny Blount.

[​IMG]

5. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

The Discogs entry for Presents Charles Mingus lists two bonus tracks. Alternate takes of Folk Forms No. 1 and Fables of Faubus which were not part of the Mosaic set. Is this correct, Dennis?

6. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

It is correct. Funny enough I had no idea until I listened to it yesterday. I had to check on the Mosaic set and The Complete Nat Hentoff Sessions released a few years back on Essential Jazz Classics. They are "slimmed" down versions of the two tracks. Instead of 9 to 12 minutes, you get barely 3 minutes of each. Nice addition but can`t help to question where did they find these two alternate takes ?

Sorcerer likes this.
  8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Ordering a couple more of these as we speak. Thanks. :wave:

dennis the menace likes this.
  9. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Listened to Pharaoh Sanders' Thembi, Deaf Dumb Blind, and Black Unity on the new SHM-CD releases. All stand up in sound quality to last year's UHQCD releases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Oddly enough I think those are "single edits". . . .

Sorcerer likes this.
  11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I almost wrote it earlier but not being 100% sure, I didn't. That would be odd indeed....Mingus being edited for a single. :laugh:

12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I look forward to this month's Archie Shepp Impulse! reissues. Unfortunately, I've never warmed to Pharoah Sanders' Impulse! catalogue. They feature a nauseating kind of spirituality. Take The Creator Has a Master Plan for example. That's some really simple minded spiritual materialism. Nothing remotely transcendent about it. Nice intense tenor playing here and there, but that's it. One for the herd.

13. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I've always enjoyed Pharaoh Sanders quite a bit. Spiritualism, anything metaphysical for that matter, is so subjective I don't think you can really interrogate its authenticity for a specific individual. Spiritual organizations may be authentic or not in their beliefs and intentions, but you can't see another man's soul as it were. Sanders' music has always spoken authenticly to his conception of spirituality, and I don't think it's our place to question the authenticity of his experience of the spiritual. The metaphysical inherently precludes such qualifiers as simple or complex, in my mind at least. Whether you like his music is of course a matter of personal taste. Attacking the spirituality of Pharaoh Sanders' music strikes me like criticizing Bach's sacred cantatas because you think he was a crappy Lutheran. Who can say? You just like the music or you don't, and neither is a reflection on the spirituality of Mr. Sanders.

14. I'm eager for opinions on the Dial material too. Hopefully @bjlefebvre will post a perspective.

Yes, 'clean' can mean irrevocably damaged or simply dirty and needing cleaning. Always glad when its the latter.

NP: Stanley Turrentine - The Look of Love (Blue Note RVG)

Schmalzy covers. Not jazz improvisation on pop standards, more orchestral syrup. Ah well.
    I expected more from Thad Jones' arrangements.

The ensemble includes strong players, just not my thing. Moving to the trade pile.
    [​IMG]

15. NP: Bud Powell - A Portrait of Thelonious Monk (Columbia mono OG)

What does this Powell guy know about Monk?
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, I'm listening to a jazz-inspired book with imagined moments (sort of historical fiction) in the lives of jazz greats. The anecdote about Monk getting pulled over with Powell, and getting busted for Powell's heroine stash is so sad. I read about it in Monk's biography, but Dyer adds a richness to the story. It put me in the mood for this LP, so I stopped by the local store and found a clean mono original (like you do). Now (being me) I'm wondering how the stereo sounds, and whether the trio and live venue opens up. If I'd had the option of both, I'd have led with mono for this era of Columbia jazz. But now I'm curious. The live applause is leaden, though Powell's piano is lively, if perhaps out of tune. It is appealing to believe Powell had an innate, almost telepathic understanding of Monk's compositions. They do feel distinctive from the composer's performances.

[​IMG]

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I opted for the Horace Silver one. Most of what they have are still available, SF Jazz Collective -- All Categories (LPs, CDs, Vinyl Record Albums) -- Dusty Groove is Chicago's Online Record Store

Lonson likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have a two eye copy too. Can’t remember if it is stereo or mono but I really like it a lot. The connection between Powell, Monk, Weston and Nichols is large. All favorites of mine.

coming up on 50mph wind gusts, 35 mph sustained. Glad to be indoors. Things will return to normal tomorrow a.m.

davidpoole likes this.
  19. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Richie Kamuca Quartet

[​IMG]

20. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

When I was in college I took a hit of acid before going to see Sun Ra perform in a club. We travelled the spaceways...

21. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Richie Kamuca & Bill Holman: West Coast Jazz In HiFi

[​IMG]

22. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Stanley Cowell Equipoise (Galaxy, UCCO-90224)
    First class piano trio album.

23. Fent99

Fent99 Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett's Arbour Zena took me off on an ECM kick. I first heard this more than 30 years ago Eberhard Weber - Colours of Chloë Not sure it's all jazz but it is exceptional music and quite beautiful in place.
    ECM as a label really helped me broaden out what I listened to; from Jarrett with long form improvisation (I've never listened to his Classical records mind...) to the minimalism of Steve Reich. This (and Arbour Zena) sits somewhere in between, a unique "third stream" of the 70s, with lovely cello and the wonderful sound of Weber's distinctive bass playing.

[​IMG]

24. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I saw that Mingus band live; the setlist below is truncated; George Adams definitely sang "Devil Blues" for one...
    Charles Mingus Setlist at Ann Arbor Jazz & Blues Festival 1973
    Otis Spann Memorial Field, Ann Arbor, MI, USA Concert Setlists | setlist.fm

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I assume you have his first 2 lps ( the songs albums) ? They are both absolutely stunning and recently reissued ( cut direct from tapes if i recall) and great sounding with booklets etc.
    Essential

Fischman likes this.