Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Americans Swinging in Paris: The Pathé Sessions (EMI France CD, 1969-1970/2002)

This unprepossessing 2002 CD includes the remastered albums People in Sorrow (1969) and Les Stances a Sophie (1970), a fact advertised nowhere on the outside of the digipak.

[​IMG]

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

As noted by several posters, Les Stances a Sophie appears to be a needle drop, and if People In Sorrow is it was done from a better condition LP.

lschwart, jay.dee and SeeDubs like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I once walked with Ferlinghetti as we exchanged stories about Jack Kerouac.

San Francisco, like Boston, was once very conservative, where publishers were prosecuted. The old phrase: "Banned in Boston" had real meaning. Ferlinghetti was arrested in San Francisco for publishing beat poetry. Authors, publishers and book dealers were regularly arrested and charged in Boston. Not so much in NYC.

At that time, the so-called "heartland" was the land of progressive thought. Things change. Life is like a sine wave.

Maybe I should have asked him to sign my books by him.

I like this quotation from Lawrence

“You’re supposed to get more conservative the older you get,” he told The San Francisco Chronicle in 1977. “I seem to be getting just the opposite.”

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

[​IMG]

Ferlinghetti and jazz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgb70, vanhooserd, davidpoole and 5 others like this.
  5. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Yes, I see this all was hashed out on this very thread a little less than a year ago. Should've noted that when I posted.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

More Ferlinghetti reading with jazz musicians

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when he was approaching his 100th birthday (he was just shy of 102 when he died)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one I like

[​IMG]

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bob Dorough's name incorrect.

[​IMG]

Robitjazz and frightwigwam like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Ferlinghetti (in tie) promoted books that some cities and states had banned

[​IMG]

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I used to broadcast this material, though technically illegal. I also would read this stuff on the air. Also illegal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patchen on the stool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I don’t how many of you’re familiar with Night Lights. It’s a weekly jazz radio program focusing on a certain artist or topic. They are always interesting and written and hosted by David Brent Johnson.

I’m listening to the Billie Holliday one. Here’s the link. If you click on the link, you can find the other programs David has done.

Late Lady: Billie Holiday On Verve In The 1950s

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, no mention on their website. However it did appear as a mention on their Instagram page, and Scott Wentzel has mentioned it's March release in private conversations. It's puzzling there is no page for it on the website yet.

KCLizard likes this.
  12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I posted this over in the Tone Poet thread but in case any of you ever wondered what that "The Sidewinder" commercial looked & sounded like, here it is:

Neither Blue Note nor Morgan ever got paid for this, even when they complained. They pulled it rather than show it again and pay the rights holder.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

From Ricky Riccardi's facebook page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Their new policy, which they don’t always seem to observe, is not to announce sets until they have them in stock, read to ship. Obviously they haven’t done that with the Armstrong set.

15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I do not see the image!

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'd be very surprised if they did two releases very close together. That wouldn't be a good business decision in this market. I expect the Armstrong first, then the Henderson later.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Its the cover for the new Mosaic Armstrong pamphlet (same as box)

KCLizard likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But they have actually provided the contents for the Armstrong box

19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Yes, I agree. Back in May of 2020 they sent this email regarding the Desmond set:

“That was an overwhelming response!

Normally we setup a preorder and gauge how much inventory is required on initial orders.We've had a myriad of issues over the past year in finalizing sets and shipping after preorders and had to send emails explaining the delays. We've always prided ourselves on treating you with utmost respect and that past year was a debacle.

This time we decided to manufacture and have the set ready to ship when we announced.

The response was beyond our expectations. We have the inventory for everyone who ordered yesterday and all orders are expected to ship by next week.

However we are ordering another batch of CDs to manufacture today and generally it takes about 3 weeks for the sets to be ready to ship.

We will send another e-mail when they have arrived in our warehouse.

It's a great set and we hope you enjoy this beautiful lyrical music during these dissonant times.

Thank you for your support,

Mosaic Records”

Perhaps they’ve solved their issues and feel confident with having the Armstrong set up for pre-order.

dennis the menace likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Armstrong set will definitely proceed. I expect Mosaic still does not manufacture the entire run at once, as that is still a big risk and money sitting in a warehouse. But I expect the first pressing to sell quickly.

I wish Mosaic could issue ALL of Armstrongs commercial recordings. I would be very surprised, though pleased, if they issued his last years and all of the various labels that Louis recorded for after he started to free-lance in the later 1950's

What I would really enjoy, though I doubt it will happen, is for Mosaic to issue a big box of many hours of Armstrong's spoken word recordings that he did in his home. His speaking voice was pure music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Turntable has been down for months while I wait for Sound-smith to rebuild my cart. In the meantime, I upgraded my headphone experience and am testing Qobuz. It's buggy as all get out, so I won't be paying for a subscription, but the SQ is outstanding!! This is my eargasm for the evening.

[​IMG]

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Put your order in now for the new Mosaic box of Armstrong if you want to be sure you get one from the first pressing. Never assume that the second pressing will proceed. Remember how many people missed the Desmond set. Fortunately, I believe, they finally decided to do a second pressing.

Louis is heading to a gig from his house in Queens (before they sided it with brick)

Remember the story about how Louis' wife said she was tired of living in hotels, and Louis told her to go out and pick a house. As I recall, he had a cab driver drive him by and he said "Great choice" without needing to go inside. He wanted to live among the people, not in some gated mansion.

[​IMG]

After the bricks

[​IMG]

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Satchmo's birthplace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In his Queens home, Satchmo could host Thanksgiving

[​IMG]

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Berthold, vanhooserd, peter1 and 6 others like this.