Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1960 - Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
    1983 CBS/SONY JAPAN CK 08271 CD

2. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

The Armstrong set is proceeding; it’s available for preorder. However, the small amount of copies shows they are being conservative or careful in how many they estimate they can sell.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In this case, they may end up pressing all of the licensed run. But don't hesitate to order.

But in other cases, the number of copies of a box actually manufactured was often far less than the maximum licensed amount.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I read this morning that Spotify announced a cd quality lossless option beginning in 2021.

Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi — Spotify

I wonder if every album they have will be available in lossless, or if it will be a more limited library. They’ll have to find some way to mess it up ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    davidpoole likes this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Playing Fred Neil

[​IMG]
    Not jazz but there is a modal “raga” improv at the end so I figure it’s thread bona fide! Talk about cover photos and cropping, this must be one of the best album photos. Makes me miss my dad.

6. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip - I had no idea that even existed. I saw Kirk several times during the week he was here in town c. 1974 (multiple sets multiple nights in a club); 'the only miracle I've ever seen' is how I've always put it.

Fischman likes this.
  7. ILovethebassclarinet

Don't ask me "how many of them that there are," but "that's one of my favorite records." It's one of Alan Wilson's best recordings too...

Mugrug12 likes this.
  8. ILovethebassclarinet

[​IMG]

One of many highlights on this is a hilarious comparison of Lady Chatterley's Lover and the fictitious "Tract Home Chippie" in the context of such early '60s obscenity trials as the one endured by Sam Roth over 'what happened off-screen' in a film (The Lovers).
    "It is the opinion of this Court that we punish bad artists." "Now Lawrence, he knows how to 'tear off a piece...'"
    The opening, which features actual police reports, as well as a citation of the court decisions that 'allowed' Bruce to use the police reports in public is also "quite illuminating." It may seem far removed to younger people that multiple cops would come to multiple shows by a comedian, Bruce, in multiple cities for years, for the purpose of arresting him, but that doesn't negate that "it happened."
    "On the following date, policewoman Corlene Schnell and I attended the Lenny Bruce show; Bruce used the following words, ****, ********, ************, *****, and *******, He also had stories regarding unnatural acts..." "But dig, after a while I could tell that they were listening to me work..."

It Was 50 Years Ago Today That Lenny Bruce Taught The Band What To Say | Cave Hollywood

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

A pleasant way to start a very early morning...

[​IMG]
    The Poll Winners ‎– The Poll Winners
    Label:
    JVC ‎– JVCXR-0019-2
    Series:
    XRCD
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    US
    Released:

Irish51, Berthold, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  10. ILovethebassclarinet

11. ILovethebassclarinet

Here's a clip from one of the Ronnie Scott's releases in the Tracy Trio plus guests format; there's one with Don Byas too, among others on Ronnie Scott's Jazz House. I've also included a couple of articles I found enroute to the clip.

Roland Kirk in Swinging London
    Sex, Drugs, Jazz and Gangsters - The Disreputable History of Gerrard Street in London's Chinatown - Flashbak

12. ILovethebassclarinet

One of many items on a long list of why I was never, ever interested in having one...
    "You don't know what you've got til it's gone"
    Joni Mitchell

13. ILovethebassclarinet

I have to say that the combo of EMI and needle drops seems a bit odd to me...

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Eighteen-year-old Horace Silver playing tenor saxophone with pianist Walter Radcliff

The Monterey nightclub in New Haven, Connecticut.

15. ILovethebassclarinet

Thanks for that Lonson; had no idea Silver was a sax player. Having never heard of Radcliff, I went to see what I could find; so far, just this: WALTER RADCLIFFE Obituary - (2014) - Boston, MA - New Haven Register

Lonson likes this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The only CD I've heard of Les Stances A Sophie is a poor (noise, distortion) needle drop. Not sure about the origins of that EMI France set, but I don't think anything on it is from original tapes. Has People in Sorrow ever been on CD from a tape source? I think we've had this conversation around here before but I don't remember. Those '69 AEC recordings made at Pathé-Marconi EMI, I don't know if they've ever been released from a tape source after the initial era of their release and licensing to Nessa here in the US.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm not an AEC fan so I haven't paid rapt attention to this, but on the Organissimo board I'm 99 percent certain that Chuck Nessa (a denizen there) has said both are needle-drops; Nessa is someone who would have insisted on using tapes if they could be provided, he believes in delivering great sound quality.

lschwart and SeeDubs like this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

People in Sorrow is one of my favorite albums of all time and, although I have a beautiful Nessa pressing and the recording and pressing sound fabulous, I'd love a CD edition from the master tapes without a break in the middle to flip over the side -- if that's the way it was originally composed and recorded -- which really impacts the music's enchanting slow build as far as I'm concerned. I was hoping this would have been it, but it turned out not to be. And even this isn't in print anymore for people looking for any copy at all of People in Sorrow.

lschwart, jay.dee, davidpoole and 2 others like this.
  19. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

mgb70, Berthold, vanhooserd and 6 others like this.
  20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Music From the Spheres⸻Sonny Simmons
    ❨1966❩

21. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Charles Mingus - Pithecathropus Erectus (Atlantic WPCR-18246)

Today is going to be a Mingus day, starting with this great album recorded in January 1956. It s always "strange" to hear Mingus music without Dannie Richmond on drums.

[​IMG]

22. ILovethebassclarinet

A quick trip to Discogs shows me that I've been sleeping on Sonny Simmons' activities of the past couple of decades, something that I wasn't aware that I had been doing. Time to do some catching up. He looks like he's been as productive as Ivo Perelman, or David Murray...
    Speaking of Perelman... this is a great tenor/drums duo:
    [​IMG]

Zé Eduardo Nazario on drums.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

Reminds me of the Herbie Nichols Bethlehem, which I believe is one of DR's first sessions on the drums.
    Herbie Nichols Trio ‎– Love, Gloom, Cash, Love

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You could have a specialized collection of albums where the artist featured an image of their child, whether on the front, back or in the gatefold.

Here is just one of many, by another person called a folkie, but who was more interested in jazz (he had Weather Report on one LP, and often employed Bill Evans disciple Warren Bernhardt)

Tim Hardin

[​IMG]

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Don`t know this one. I`ll look out for it. Thank you !!!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.