Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I really enjoy this album

ILovethebassclarinet and Lonson like this.
  2. mwheelerk

I sat say you will love it as I have and love them both.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

For those who want a vinyl copy of the custodian's recording, completely untouched by professional mastering engineers? o_O

LaBowe and davidpoole like this.
  4. Richard Thompson's live shows (I've caught a couple in the past 10 years or so) have been really strong.
    I'm about half way through his memoir and surprised at how little he cares for jazz, Pentangle, or much that is jazz related. His guitar work has some jazz sensibilities to it. I grew up in a similar area north of London, a couple of decades later, and find his voice (reading the audiobook), references and outlook comfortably familiar.

Irish51, jay.dee, lschwart and 2 others like this.
  5. NP: Nat Adderley - Live at Memory Lane (Atlantic stereo 1967)

I picked this up on the merit of the players. Recordings with Joe Henderson rarely disappoint.
    Zawinul and Adderley split the composing duties.
    AllMusic gave this 2.5 stars, but no review. I am skeptical of ratings without context, and tend to find user ratings more helpful in these instances.

[​IMG]

I was curious about the venue.
    The Memory Lane Supper Club in LA. It is all but forgotten.
    The only reference I could find was a matchbook for sale on eBay.

[​IMG]

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That’s a good Nat Adderley album.

NP Lloyd McNeil - Washington Suite (Asha) UMG vinyl reissue
    My favorite album by McNeil. I love the energy on this one and Eric Gravatt’s drums are fantastic. He really makes the album for me.

7. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Yes. As I noted earlier the book, according to charlieparkermusic.com, was supposed to be issued in connection with Bird in LA. The book was released in December but there must have been a delay in the set. The premium version of the book included a 45 of two Bird performances which I presume will be included in this set.

According to Losin, some of this work is not memorable. Session details: Shrine Auditorium (November 22, 1948)
    The songs on the 45 don’t appear to have been previously issued nor are they listed in the JATP discography.

I assume your mention of “digital” refers to the source for the mastering. I don’t know if they’re digital or AAA but this being Bird it’s a secondary consideration, at least for me anyway.

It will also be available in cd.

8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

The copy I have is sufficient.

My last observation on RSD is that there seems way too much stuff. On top of the Jazz, I will want to get the two Canned Heat titles. You can’t possibly get anything nor am I getting up at 6am to get on line.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Lloyd McNeil - Treasures (Asha) UMG reissued vinyl
    Another superb album, originals of his albums are so rare. I’ve seen two and bought one due to price/condition so I’ve bought several of the reissued and they are well done.

10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

NP
    Billy Harper- Destiny is Yours
    [​IMG]

Any album that begins like this is probably good:

11. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmy Giuffre Quartet: In Person

[​IMG]

peter1, Six String, charlesp and 7 others like this.
  12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    John Hicks with David Murray Sketches of Tokyo (DIW, DIW-812)
    It's the time of cherry blossom. Great album.

frightwigwam, charlesp, Stu02 and 3 others like this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've only seen him once, c. 1988 or so, in Ann Arbor, with 'band and guests.' Richard Thompson | The Concert Database

davidpoole likes this.
  14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I've always found, when I heard his interviews, his tastes in music to be a little unexpected relative to what appears to be in his own music. I don't know that there's that much jazz in it on a quantitative basis, but he did record a cover of Duke Ellington's "Rockin' In Rhythm" and "Al Bowlly's in Heaven" is certainly jazzy, and I've certainly seen him perform with jazz musicians in his band (like Pentangle's Danny Thompson). I am looking forward to getting around to reading his book. I don't do audiobooks, but he's such a great storyteller with a great voice I'm sure hearing him read it would be wonderful. My wife's an audiobook person, and a big Thompson fan, I'm sure she'll enjoy that.

Irish51, jay.dee, lschwart and 4 others like this.
  15. ILovethebassclarinet

There were a few live recordings done there; I believe (w/0 going to look) that this is the one I have:
    [​IMG]
    A few different Hawes titles.
    JAS (2)

frightwigwam and davidpoole like this.
  16. ILovethebassclarinet

And if you don't mind me asking, what would some of your candidates for "best sounding" be?

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

18. ILovethebassclarinet

Kirk at Ronnie Scott's huh? Previously unreleased?
    Could it be this again?
    Roland Kirk - Gifts And Messages
    I wonder if it's this - OK with me, as I've never seen it...
    Roland Kirk – Live In London (2004, CD)

But I hope it's neither, and is truly "previously unreleased."

19. ILovethebassclarinet

"Where is" Denardo, BTW?
    I'd love to hear new music from him, and it would be wonderful if he took on seeing that his mom's recordings (Jayne Cortez) were back in circulation; they'd make a fabulous boxed set for Bandcamp (or someone else...).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    davidpoole likes this.
  20. mwheelerk

21. ILovethebassclarinet

Lonson and davidpoole like this.
  22. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Ornette Coleman - Soapsuds (Verve 531-917-2)

I have time for a few quick albums this morning and it feels like an Ornette day !

[​IMG]

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In that Henry Threadgill NEA podcast @ATR posted a while back, Threadgill talks about the late '60s and Paris being the center of the jazz scene, I guess especially 1969 when Archie Shepp, Don Cherry, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Granchan Moncur, Anthony Braxton, Leo Smith et al were living, gigging and recording around Paris (and playing throughout France). I haven't heard all the many BYG Actuel recordings from that time but I am on a bit of a Granchan Moncur kick, and listened to his '69 Paris BYG New Africa for the first time. Interesting performing group with Roscoe Mitchell, Dave Burrell, Andrew Cyrille, and on one track, Archie Shepp.

[​IMG]

Ray Cole, jay.dee, lschwart and 11 others like this.
  24. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

That's great news! I just bought the 2018 Japanese reissue of Archie Shepp's Steam ,the new reissue will probably be exactly the same, but it sounds great.

25. ILovethebassclarinet

I've seen EC a couple of times, once with the Chadbournes c. 1981 or so, (Zorn, Licht, Kramer, Cora) and again in the mid-80s with Shockabilly (trio). The first Chadbourne I ever heard though was with Frank Lowe.
    [​IMG]