Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. NP: Ira Sullivan - Ira Sullivan (Horizon 1976)

Sullivan could really blow on that trumpet for a nine-year old.
    EDIT: He was 45 at time of recording (Less impressed)

[​IMG]

2. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

NP: McCoy Tyner - Together

[​IMG]

3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Dave Burrell - After Love streams on Qobuz. I think you'll enjoy it. Man, been some time since I listened to New Africa. Surely you know about this: https://www.bygrecords.com/actuel-festival Check the programs.

4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

One of the first Milestone albums I bought of McCoy's. Love the rendition of DeJohnette's Bayou Fever.

bluejimbop and Fischman like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This time I went with Mingus in case they are an upgrade from early cds and with Chet and Dollar Brand cds, as what I have heard of their work on Enja has left me wanting more.

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I've heard a lot of Dave Burrell -- and I think I saw him playing with David Murray once, but my memory is pretty fuzzy on that one -- but I haven't heard that album, I'll check it out. I did know about the festival but I did not know about the website with all the info and pix and programs. That's great. Thanks.

Sorcerer and Dan Steele like this.
  7. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Here’s one from an earlier time. Ben Webster’s Associates are a splendid lineup of Coleman Hawkins and Budd Johnson on tenors; Roy Eldridge, Jimmy Jones on piano, Les Spann on guitar and a rhythm section of Ray Brown and Jo Jones. All on their A game for this session, but Hawk is especially fierce.

[​IMG]

Nice cover too.

8. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I am obessed with McCoy's Milestone recordings. what an incredible run of excellence. Explosive beauty, with some of the greatest bands assembled in the 70s.

9. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Explosive beauty.... well put!

Yes... Enlightenment through Sama Luyuca is a genuinely astonishing run.

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

never heard if this , and also with Canterbury Scene greats too. Impressive.. the shots from the stage imply it was a bit of a madhouse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I have both Mingus on Enja German vinyl
    I am curious about the four Dollar Brand titles they're releasing: African Sketchbook, Space Program, Good News from Africa, Banyana. Which are you selecting?

I've narrowed down the 100 to about 20 that either have no analog counterpart or are pricey on Germany LP (cart below).
    Ignore the few Candid and Impulse titles towards the end.

I'm interested in narrowing down the selection, and would welcome suggestions (from @Lonson @Sorcerer @dennis the menace and any other Enja fans) on lesser titles to remove, or conversely ones to definitely not remove. This was immensely helpful on the last CD Japan shopping trip.

[​IMG]

Dan Steele likes this.
  12. Lonson

I ordered all those and the one under his other name. ;)

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  13. WP: McCoy Tyner - Cosmos (1976)

Two unreleased sessions from '68-70, around the time of Time for Tyner and Expansions.
    Did this material get released elsewhere?

[​IMG]

NP: Gil Evans

[​IMG]

More engaged now than with McCoy Tyner, which I wasn't expecting.
    At least it is hitting the spot this evening.
    Looking at the line-up, I can see why its so fabulous.

14. Lonson

15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Stu, the Billy Harper is wonderful, just arrived today after a couple month wait from Acoustic Sounds. I know it’s only 2 songs, for $40 a little steep, but it is a beautiful package, LP sounds fantastic and nice set of liner notes that are actually well written. Great 20 min version of Cry of Hunger. A 22 min Priestess was the other song from this live set, if only there was room for that! I may have to buy the CD if there ever is one. @Yesternow you would like this :righton:

[​IMG]

16. StarThrower62

Is there a link for the full list of those low priced titles at CD Japan? I couldn't tell David Poole what titles to nix but I love all the Shepp CDs and the Waldron Moods, and One- Upsmanship.

17. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Assuming that you like Cecil Taylor, I have both titles and they are great, one is an hour long solo performance (Dark To themselves), the other, another solo performance in two parts. These are NOT an introduction to Cecil Taylor music.

18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have only received it recently so just the one play. Too bad @Tribute has still not fixed his damn time machine ...

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I am not a fan of that 80s new age Irish singer Enja ;) as you stipulated , but I nominate Left Alone Revisted. Fabulous Shepp and Waldron Session (just before Waldron passed if I recall correctly)

20. Lonson

CDJapan : Complete Listings

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I did get it fixed and went straight to a record store in 1959.

But I forgot to leave my COVID mask at home, and when I appeared masked in the store, two workers tackled me and called the cops.

They freaked out when I scrambled to my time machine (still in the store) and disappeared.

In my rush to grab any records I yanked a pile from the "A" section. When I got home, it was all Frankie Avalon and Paul Anka.

Apparently my visit to that store was responsible for boosting the flying saucer and space alien crazies, which ended up leading to several people being committed to institutions. I feel bad about that, but not as bad as I feel about grabbing records from the wrong section of the store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  22. StarThrower62

Thanks, Lon!

ILovethebassclarinet and Lonson like this.
  23. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Not too far off from a lot of the spiritual jazz I like. This is a great album no matter how you describe it.

24. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Cassandra Wilson - Travelling Miles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Gene Krupa: Big Noise From Winnetka

[​IMG]