Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Joe Henderson - Relaxin` At Camarillo (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-776-2)

Because one Joe is never enough…

Recorded at Contemporary`s studio in Los Angeles in 1979 with a stellar cast of Richard Davis on bass, Chick Corea on piano and Tony Williams/Peter Erskine on drums.

[​IMG]

3. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

that's interesting, the Montreal Tapes (in general, the whole glorious series) is sort of a holy grail artifact for me, and I was listening to the one with Joe Henderson yesterday. In light of our conversation, I noticed how different his tone was on that record, and I figured Haden had returned to acoustic amplification in the 80s. It doesn't have that rubber band sound at all. I'll listen to the Bley + Motian one today to compare. Any reason to revisit that recording, right?
    [​IMG]

4. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: George Adams - Dannie Richmond - Hand to Hand (Soul Note, 1980)

George Adams (ts & fl), Jimmy Knepper (tb), Hugh Lawson (p), Mike Richmond (b), Dannie Richmond (d)

A fun record with two long tracks on each side. The standouts are its Lawson-penned opener and closer. Side A starts with 'The Clooker', a high energy tune that shows Adams at his swinging and exuberant best. Side B ends with 'Joobubie' a slower and groovier track that suits Knepper trombone tone perfectly. Lawson has recorded very few sessions as a leader and I would say that his compositions merit a co-leader spot on this one!

[​IMG]

5. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Oren Lavie...Bedroom Crimes
    Jazz n' Classically influenced...wonderful stuff. Meditative beauty.

Autopsy Report

[​IMG]

Mike6565 likes this.
  6. dennis the menace

As much as I love the Montréal Tapes` concert with Joe Henderson and Al Foster, I always hated Haden`s bass sound on it. It`s like it was recorded directly from the sound board.

Valkenburg and GnuHigh like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Agree , i love this series too. I ended up getting most individual cds but its a shame the box set never came back for a reissue. This one is my favourite currently but all are pretty great to me. For those interested in vinyl , AP ( Chad) reissued this one recently. I am fine with my cd but for vinyl heads this is worth a look as the session is sublime

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I find all the bass is a little high in the mix ( not surprising given the theme) in general on the series but the music is so great I have adjusted my perspective and it doesn’t really bug me

9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Oren Lavie...The Opposite Side of The Sea
    Gives me the same kind of meditative jazzy vibes I get from the likes of Brad Mehldau and Andy Bey.

Locked In A Room

[​IMG]

Mike6565 likes this.
  11. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

I love it - it's not the best from him, but a nice listening

12. Berthold

Miles Davis: Miles

[​IMG]

mwheelerk, jonwoody, SJR and 12 others like this.
  13. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

One from last night
    Milestones
    [​IMG]

mwheelerk, jonwoody, SJR and 12 others like this.
  14. dennis the menace

I totally agree with you. This music from this series is so good that you forget about everything else !

[​IMG]

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That set with Bley and Motion is often in heavy rotation in my house.

lschwart, jonwoody and Stu02 like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

frightwigwam likes this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That's good news. I ordered the Jarrett and the Return to Forever.

dennis the menace likes this.
  18. Tony Kaye

Tony Kaye Forum Resident

For any Art Pepper fans out there who might have missed this, Laurie Pepper has been publishing audiocasts of her reading Art’s autobiography, Straight Life, an utterly compelling and fascinating personal account of his life up to his mid-‘70’s comeback. The extracts published so far are at the link and are mostly free to download. Art Pepper

19. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I really wish I could find a copy of this box set. It is amazing.

As well it should. Incredible trio.

Still feel like some Haden, but have a hankering for Brecker, let's do this:

[​IMG]

dennis the menace likes this.
  20. Lonson

Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi "They're Calling me Home"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is quite good. I love this woman.

Six String and charlesp like this.
  21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

jonwoody and frightwigwam like this.
  22. LOL. I was seriously tempted to revisit (100 miles each way) but more for leaving behind Charlie Parker with Strings (10" EP on Mercury) for $8.

Oregon - Roots in the Sky (Elektra) ...the Bob Ludwig original mastering can be had for $1. I'm puzzled by some of the Speakers Corner reissues, but glad of the tip off that this might be worth hearing. And I expect Kevin Gray will do a fine job, but expect the Ludwig version holds up just fine. Colin Walcott's contributions to the Codona band on ECM are a favorite and I've yet to hear his work with Oregon.

Glad to read you like the mono LPs since that's what I have :)
    This morning I'm listening to side two of Jack Teagarden At the Roundtable, and sonically (as well as musically) this is a strong record. Were the monos fold downs or dedicated mixes?
    For the Count Basie Roulette material, the stereos sound very good.

Ah, so the upcoming Coltrane Ballads SACD may be an exception to the "avoid Tower Records SACDs" rule.

@dennis the menace - Since these haven't come out yet, is this assessment based on prior ECM SACDs from this series, or are these actually re-presses of prior SACDs?

23. Lonson

I actually don't know if these are dedicated mono mixes or not. My system likes mono LPs a lot and these sound very good to me, the Basie on Roulette I have in mono as well. Truth is both stereo and mono Roulette sound great to me.

davidpoole likes this.
  24. Berthold

Miles Davis: Relaxin'

[​IMG]

mwheelerk, jonwoody, SJR and 10 others like this.
  25. NP: The Piano Choir - Handscapes (Strata East 1973, vol 1)

What a beautiful day in Massachusetts. Here we have a hand holding LP to mostly align with a hilly landscape. Seems about right for a handscape.
    Could be a 'sleevescape' sub-genre to go with sleeveface photos.

This LP is new-to-me, picked up Sunday. Sounds lovely. After being underwhelmed by a Charles Tolliver Music Inc LP, this is more what I want from Strata East. Experimental, but groovy. The cover was covered in ring wear and grime, so the matte finish was particularly satisfying to clean up with a rubber eraser.

[​IMG] East)