Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Dexter Gordon A Swingin' Affair (Blue Note, Audio Wave), XRCD24 mastered by Alan Yoshida.
    Now this is how you do a digital Blue Note reissue!

2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Upvoted for the MUSIC, as I've not heard this up-dated release.

3. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  4. ILovethebassclarinet

Aw, SURELY you were used to that even pre-Discogs, weren't you? I do understand how much EASIER it is with it... Less than a week ago, I was 'browsing around' at one vendor's and found that when I was done, I'd added 77 LPs to a shopping cart there, and most of 'em were only a couple of bucks. Who can resist that? Probably not many folks here...

nostromo53 and almost unison like this.
  5. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

Ha ha - of course this happened before Discogs as well.

However, I used to rely on my crappy memory and just assume that the stuff I eventually forgot about, was (apparently) just not important enough to me. These days I have to put actual effort into forgetting by manually deleting stuff from my wishlist (which I rarely ever do). But well, I could think of worse troubles in life!

trd and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  6. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

It's stunning. Instruments are so lifelike. Very wide stereo.

I am playing this after the Blue Note 75th anniversary SHM-CD of Go! and the contrast is immense.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm definitely in the mouldy figue zone but new material I have really dug have been the Washington, the Miles, and Shabaka and the Ancestors, Joe Chambers, Lafayette Gilchrist, the Heliocentric camp, Stefon Harris, Dave Douglas, Jose James and a few more.

peter1 and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  8. ILovethebassclarinet

Thanks for the report; I've only heard the 'old' (would have to look to see which exact vintage) BN LPs I've had since the '70s... most all of the Dex I have on CD is from unissued at the time sessions aside from the very early Savoy recordings.

Sorcerer likes this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

That's 'what makes a Moldy Figue these days?'

10. ILovethebassclarinet

Indeed; I'll pass on "being a boor" by citing examples...

Now, when it comes to "crappy memory," I do have to say that in my case 'needing to put it off until later because I can't afford it now' assists in "forgetting." Luckily for me, I have LOTS of music to 'drown such sorrows in.'

almost unison likes this.
  11. Lonson

I have my own particular way of looking at myself. I fit the criteria within that. ;)

12. ILovethebassclarinet

And who would know the details on that better than you?
    Certainly not me...
    I'll always associate that terminology with the '50s and '60s myself, and the writers of that era; 'post 1880s' is 'recent enough for me,' and I like Ayler's 'New Orleans' style as much as I do Red Allen's, and always have...

Tribute and Lonson like this.
  13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    Mtume Live At the East
    Pretty out there for Strata East, but also, one of the great albums of the 70's --like Sun Ra at his most free.

14. Lonson

Yes, "mouldy figue" conjures the late 'forties and the traditionalists verus any kind of modernist really. . . I just extend that to myself because I feel I philosophically line up with them in that I feel there's a boundary line not to be crossed if a work or style is to be called "jazz." I just extend those boundary lines way beyond the figues of the past both forward and peripherally. ("I'm a peripheral visionary--I can see into the future, only off to the side.")

Ever since I learned the Dewey Decimal System in Form 2 and did library work at the school I find there's a part of me hung up on classifications.

Tribute and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  15. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I still have tickets for 2020 shows that were postponed, maybe one day I'll get to use them.

NP: Roy Brooks - Beat

[​IMG]

very solid hard bop with lots of bluesy numbers.

16. Lonson

Right now
    Great sound today and I'm enjoying looking at a tree through the window behind the stereo . . . it went from bare to beautifully bedazzled with snow. We got at least 4 inches here over night. A neighbor says 5 to 6 according to his snow guage. I used to think he actually had a real gadget with accurate results. Took me a while to realize he was talkin about his trash pickup bin lid.

SFJazz Collective "The Works of Horace Silver Plus Original Compositions" disc 2
    [​IMG]

17. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

and once again

Louis Armstrong: The Columbia & RCA Victor Studio Sessions #7

[​IMG]

It's so nice, yeah baby it's so nice

18. ILovethebassclarinet

For me, "I like" has primacy over 'what genre is that?' "Mixed genre" OR "one genre" can both be OK with me.
    I also LIKE that 'people aren't all the same.' "All the same" sounds kind of boring to me... My statements, of course, aren't intended to be representative of anyone but myself.

Lonson and trd like this.
  19. ILovethebassclarinet

A tribute to Brooks from the Detroit Metro Times:
    Tribute to avant-garde drummer Roy Brooks planned

and a link to one of my fave LPs he's on:
    [​IMG]

I've also long thought these 2 Richard Davis LPs to be 'of like mind.'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

[​IMG]
    "The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Studio Recording 1946 to 1966" Mosaic Records, disc 5

Such fun--Pops playing Fats!

21. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I love Richard Davis, he's one of my favorite bass players, How cool is that sleeve for Epistrophy!? thanks for posting this, I'll hunt these down. Big fan of Cliff Jordan and Freddie Waits, these look to be great albums.

22. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

"Alkebu-Lan – Land Of The Blacks was recorded at The East, a radical venue in the Clinton Hill Neighborhood of Brooklyn, remembered for the Pharoah Sanders album bearing its name, and notable for not allowing White people to pass its doors."

How 2021! Nowadays this would be called anti-racism.

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

You could do worse than go for the three at the top - the Thumbscrew, although separate albums were recorded at the same sessions. I did wonder how come Never Is Enough came out so soon after the other one but then realised when I saw a comment about it somewhere.

The other one thoroughly recommended is Alexander Hawkins - Togetherness Music. 16 musicians altogether including Evan Parker and Mark Sanders.

Ray Cole and Stu02 like this.
  24. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Summer 2022.

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Paul Bley - Not Two, Not One (ECM)
    W/Gary Peacock and Paul Motian.