Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Dewey Decimal System had an interesting history. It was created by Dewey at the New York State Library in Albany. That library is probably the world's largest library which is in a small city and which is not associated with a University. It may be ranked among the top ten libraries in the USA (if there really is a valid ranking), or at least it once was. After the Library of Congress System was developed, a system which was much more efficient and logical for organizing large collections, the New York State Library became the only major library to retain use of the Dewey System. As the New York State Library was the principal force behind the establishment of public libraries in the USA (as opposed to privately funded libraries), most public libraries used the Dewey System.

I am sure many librarians struggled with the more recent movement in public libraries. As they watched bookstores and on-line dealers become the dominant force in browsing, many libraries have decided to organize their collections in the same manner as bookstores.

Dewey himself was ahead of his time in more ways than professional, though. In 1905, he had to resign from his leadership roles due to allegations of sexual harassment, racism and antisemitism.

I have four of the chairs shown in this image of Dewey's library, but with a somewhat different table, in my music library. Our family had them since I was a kid. They were invented in Germany by the cabinet maker Michael Thonet, and were the first lightweight but very sturdy chairs ever built.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Miles Davis - Milestones (Mobile Fidelity UDSACD-2084)

I love this album and this mono version.

[​IMG]

4. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

NP Vijay Iyer - Uneasy.

[​IMG]

5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Like everyone else I got my copy of this a couple of days ago. The Handy and Waller are terrific, the Mack the Knife sequence is essential. The Jazz Ambassadors stuff considerably less so, although he sounds great throughout. Off the top of my head if I'm grading the live box is A+, the Decca box is A+, and this one is a split decision. A+ for half of it and B for the rest. Regarding the Miles Davis box sets, I've never had a problem with volume. Are people saying they lack dynamic range or are compressed? I don't hear that either. Turn it down if it's too loud for you. I don't have all of them, didn't get the Gil Evans or Coltrane boxes. As for the material yes, Columbia's idea of what a complete session is may be different from yours or mine. The Jack Johnson box is closest to my idea of a complete sessions box, and also one of my favorites, although I'll always wonder why they bothered mixing it to 5.1 channel surround DSD if they weren't going to release it on SACD. Seven Steps is essential for putting the Carnegie Hall show into original running order where it works much better.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

It's been a long time since I have heard this one. I always remember it as "Mahavishnu Tull" and I'm listening to the Steven Wilson remix which suits this album to a T.

"A" Jethro Tull
    [​IMG]

7. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Some newer stuff--say, released in the last 5 years or so--that I've been enjoying:

Pharoah Sanders/Floating Points/London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
    Vijay Iyer - Uneasy
    James Francies - Flight
    Jiyhe Lee Orchestra - Daring Mind
    Çağrı Sertel - Instant
    Kārlis Auziņš - Images in Regard of The Central Reference System
    Tigran Hamasyan - An Ancient Observer
    Tigran Hamasyan - For Gyumri
    Tigran Hamasyan - The Call Within
    Nate Wooley - Argonautica
    Antonio Carlos Jobim - Tom Jobim by Fabio Caramuru
    Maisha - Welcome to a New Welcome
    Linda May Han Oh - Aventurine
    The Awakening Orchestra - Interlude: Atticus Live!
    Maciej Kądziela - The Taste of the World
    Artur Tuźnik - Artur Tuźnik Trio

8. dennis the menace

Received it yesterday. Listening is in the plans for later today !!

Lonson likes this.
  9. Columbia CL 830 - Duke Ellington " Hi-Fi Ellington Uptown" - rec. Dec. 1951

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Live at the Blue Note NYC 2003

11. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

NEW. Kaja Draksler/Petter Eldh/Christian Lillinger.

jay.dee, bluemooze and peter1 like this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP The Adderleys (Savoy)
    Early material with Cannonball as a leader along with brother Nat.

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

@Sorcerer
    I have read on Discogs about two cd reissues of Leon Thomas' In Berlin released in 2018 and 2020 by Solid Giants.
    Is it the same remastering?

14. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Jan Johansson - Jazz På Svenska (LP, Megafon, 1964)

Jan Johansson (p), Georg Riedel (b)

Winding down with the only Johansson album I have stumbled upon during record store visits. (I think I'll restart the record and move to the couch after this post) File under: Nordic, folksy, playful proto-ECM.

[​IMG]

15. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Yes, they reuse the same remasters. The same will likely hold for some of the 2021 Enjas which they've been releasing since 2014 or so.

Only exception are the couple of UHQCD Bethlehems which, though done by the same mastering engineer, Toshiyuki Abe, were a substantial improvement.

Ray Cole and Robitjazz like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"Live at the Festival" Enja/Solid Records cd, Japan
    Evans, Shepp, Korg, Land, Hutcherson. . . . Great stuff.

[​IMG]

18. dennis the menace

Benny Golson - The Other Side Of Benny Golson (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-1750-2)

Very good album from November 1958 on Riverside. I love the Golson albums with Curtis Fuller, they play very well together.

[​IMG]

19. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Really really interesting. I have already noticed it some time ago.

Lonson likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Kenny Barron Trio - The Moment (Reservoir)
    W/Victor Lewis and Rufus Reid.

bluemooze, markp, KCLizard and 2 others like this.
  21. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

This is a three LP collection (also issued in cd) released in 2014 by Resonance of previously unknown material that was in the possession of Ann Montgomery, Buddy Montgomery’s widow.

Listening to the first LP which finds the Montgomery Brothers, Alonzo “Pookie” Johnson (ts) and Sonny Johnson (ds), no relation, playing at the Turf Club in Indianapolis in 1956. The sound is quite good and the songs are mostly standards, with a Wes original, Wes’ Tune. They also play Miles’ Four. Recommended if you’re a Wes fan.

[​IMG]

23. Fent99

Fent99 Forum Resident

Thought I'd play some Jarrett and picked Standards Live by the trio with Peacock and DeJohnette. There's some lovely playing on this as well as some of the vocalising that polarises listeners. I don't mind the vocalising so much and there's a lot of joy in his playing here. DeJohnette and Peacock are solid in support. I saw this trio only once in London and the seats I had didn't give such great appreciation of the sound which was a big disappointment after such recordings as this Paris concert.
    Nice tune choice too but ultimately I prefer the 2 studio albums from a little earlier. There is so much Jarrett to listen to (and I have a fair bit) that it takes a while to get to them all...
    I'd never noticed that the artwork is by Franz Kafka from his diaries.
    [​IMG]

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

NP Up & Down, Horace Parlan’s sixth album with Blue Note. It was recorded on June 18, 1961.

“...Grant Green was my suggestion. I wanted to include him on this date because I heard him in St. Louis and I was tremendously impressed by him.” -Horace Parlan
    • Horace Parlan - piano
    • Booker Ervin - tenor saxophone
    • Grant Green - guitar
    • George Tucker - bass
    • Al Harewood - drums
    Blue Note CD

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Bobby Battle Quartet w/David Murray - The Offering (Mapleshade) 1993 release
    Also has Larry Willis (p) and Santi Debriano (b). Recorded live to 2 track analog tape with custom a/d converter.