Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

When I wrote "that," I should have typed Lungs, the first track, not the entire LP; not that I don't love the entire LP...

GnuHigh likes this.
  2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Joe will tell you, and I agree, that free music as it's called, of whatever category, is psychedelic. I saw an interview with Bill Kreutzman yesterday and he said when the Grateful Dead were at their best the word that best described what they were doing was 'freedom', and to him the music was infused with the spirit of New Orleans. Independent lines blending and going off in different directions at the same time. Polyphonic music. Not that Joe Morris hasn't written some great compositions. The early trios, the Racket Club grooves, and more. But there's always something free happening inside those structures. Underthru is also a favorite of mine, great rhythm and bottom from Cleaver and Lightcap.

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

George Benson - Weekend In L.A. (Warner 7599 27343 2)

Very humid morning over Montréal. Staying inside with some late 70s jazz.

[​IMG]

4. do you know the BBC radio 3 show freeness?
    I think you may enjoy it

5. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've only been here since November, '20, but I'm happy to participate in such discussions; I like all kinds of different things with no parameters at all on "when they were created."

Berthold likes this.
  6. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerti #20 & #24 with Clara Haskil & Igor Markevitch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dennis the menace

Carsten Meinert Kvartet - To You (Frederiksberg Records FRB-002)

1968 European jazz released brought back to life a few years back by Frederiksberg Records. Very reminescent of John Coltrane classic Quartet, it even includes two Trane compositions (Naima & The Promise). I go back to this album from time to time and enjoys it everytime.

[​IMG]

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I like the cadenza on I Want To Talk About You from Selflessness also.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

For me Bitches Brew continues to surprise and inspire like no other Miles album. It was my first jazz album 49 years ago and while it took a while for me to really hear into the music instead of merely letting it wash over me it is probably due to that that it still sounds so fresh.

10. dennis the menace

John Coltrane Interstellar Space (Impulse! 543-415-2)

One of my favorite late Trane recordings. The interplay between him and Rashied Ali is just terrific.

[​IMG]

11. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

William Parker - Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World · Volumes 1-10

Now playing CD 5: Harlem Speaks

Fay Victor: voice
    Hamid Drake: drums, frame drum
    William Parker: bass, guembri, balafon, gralla

[​IMG]

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Monica Zetterlund and the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band "It Only Happens Every Time" Japan cd

[​IMG]

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

What a fascinating woman in those years.

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Horace Silver Re-entry (32 Jazz)

[​IMG]
    Clifford Jordan Night of the Mark VII (32 Jazz)

Two new arrivals today.

15. Lonson

Paul Chambers "Bass on Top" 24Bit by RVG Japanese cd

[​IMG]

Haven't played this in a while and boy does it sound good!

16. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Hazel Scott - Relaxed Piano Moods (12" reissue of a 1955 10" on Debut)

Hazel Scott (p), Charles Mingus (b), Max Roach (d)

[​IMG]

I am not sure where and when my copy was issued (and neither is Discogs). It has a thick cardboard sleeve and the sound is pretty good for a Debut release.

If it wasn't for Roach and Mingus, I would probably never have heard of this recording but I now enjoy the quiet exuberance Scott's playing and the rhythm section is not half bad either.

When I was a teenager in the '90s, I listened to Björk a lot (and I still do occasionally). I always loved the song 'Like Someone In Love' on Debut. I always assumed it was one of her own compositions, which, of course, it isn't. Today every set that includes 'Like Someone In Love' still reminds me of these years. Since Relaxed Piano Moods starts with a version of that exact tune, I was obviously predisposed to appreciate the set in a slightly nostalgic way.

17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

A wonderful but very short session (four songs) featuring Junior Cook, Tina Brooks, Duke Jordan, Bobby Timmons, Sam Jones and Art Blakey.

Yes Baby is played at a relaxed tempo and features both tenors and Duke Jordan.

The theme of Scotch Blues is a variation on a Scottish folk song — instantly recognizable — but very different and appealing. Jordan is on piano.

Autumn in New York features only Kenny and Sam Jones. It’s one of the best interpretations of the song I’ve heard.

Caravan is played at a fast tempo, encouraged by Art Blakey. The out chorus is fantastic, Burrell repeatedly playing over or supported by the band. Timmons is on piano, his only appearance on volume 1.

Odd as it may seem volume 1 was only released on cd once in the US, in 1989, and although it’s called volume 1, it’s really an amalgam of volumes 1 and 2, with one song that hasn’t been reissued in other versions, I Never Knew.

18. Lonson

[​IMG]

Joe Henderson "Porgy & Bess" Verve Originals cd

Bass – Dave Holland
    Drums – Jack DeJohnette
    Guitar – John Scofield
    Piano – Tommy Flanagan
    Producer – Joe Henderson
    Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
    Trombone – Conrad Herwig
    Vibraphone – Stefon Harris
    Vocals – Chaka Khan (tracks: 2), Sting (tracks: 7)

19. dennis the menace

Andrew Hill - Black Fire (Blue Note UCCQ-9507)

Great writing, superb playing, terrific album.

Blue Notes's 80th.

[​IMG]

20. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Antonio Sanchez Migration (Cam Jazz)
    Opens with a great Chick Corea tune. Also with David Sanchez, Chris Potter, Pat Metheny, Scott Colley.

21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

New EU regulations: from 1 July 2021 all shipments from outside the EU, also those worth under €22 which were previously exempt, will be taxed by customs (sales tax). That means 21% over the item price plus the cost of shipping. In addition to that a flat €14 fee. This is the end of importing just one or two CDs from small private sellers. I assume many will be caught unaware. No more single CD shipments, large shipments from CD Japan will become the norm, though not above €150, because then import duties are also due.

As a consequence, I bought a ****load of CDs from Japan and the USA over the past 24 hours. That's in addition to the Joe Henderson Mosaic at Jazz Messengers, Barcelona. My bank account weeps, but it's going to be a great summer (as long as everything arrives in The Netherlands before 1 July).

It will also be a (small) disaster for US and UK based artists selling CDs and vinyl through Bandcamp directly to fans in the EU. Stores like Jazz Messengers which carry many tiny labels will benefit.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

This one never really clicked with me and I saw the tour in either Oakland or San Francisco. I think it was Oakland. Rickie Lee Jones replaced Chaka for the vocals and I can’t remember if there was a male singer too. I can’t even say at this point why I’m ambivalent about it but I eventually gave up and traded it in for something else. I really enjoyed all the other Verve releases.

fingerpoppin likes this.
  23. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Listened to the disc 2 from Miles Davis Quintet's Live In Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2.

The second set recorded in Antibes the night of July 26th is structured as a sort of long-time medley mixing bop standards, second great quintet material and the new fascinating electric stuff.
    There is a wild harshness in some tracks, I'd say that Masqualero is a successful witnessing; No Blues with the long solos might be arisen from the intense live sets of the Plugged Nickel of some years earlier, while Spanish Key showcases the steadfastness of the new direction given by Davis with his fantastic partners.
    One would like that this set never ends up...

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The movers are finally here and I am resting from hours of packing & putting stuff in our cars. The couple who are buying our house are also here, excited & happy at getting their first home, even though it is old & run-down. I can't watch TV or listen to music, not even via this laptop, since I packed my headphones & I'm not about to endure the sound of the crappy laptop speakers. Guess I better get back to work.

25. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Do you like Alan Holdsworth music?

If so 7digital Canada has an INCREDIBLE DEAL.... you can buy

[​IMG]

12 CDs of music in FLAC 1644 for $9.50 CDN, I have tested one of the flac file and they have NOT been UPSAMPLED.

For my friends who are not Canadian, maybe you can get a deal like that with the others 7digital stores.

GnuHigh, dennis the menace and eeglug like this.