Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I appreciate all his Verve recordings more now than I did at earlier listenings. It may be worth a revisit--I really did enjoy it today.

Six String likes this.
  2. Lonson

"Artemis" Blue Note cd
    [​IMG]

3. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Available as a physical release && download at BCamp.

dennis the menace likes this.
  4. Interesting recording but rather on the lighter sinde.

5. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Bitches Brew is also the first "Jazz" album that I have bought knowingly... When I was young , I was a huge Hendrix fan, a friend of mine got into Jazz-Fusion (how?) He told me , you should hear this [​IMG]

Little did I know then, that this album will change my musical interest later on , like 17 years later, I was shopping in the HMV Montreal megastore (it use to be very big, 3 floors of music, large surface), somehow out of curiosity, I decided to go up and take a peek in the Jazz room. There was a poster that looks like a tree and each branch , was a branch of Jazz, since I knew that Jazz fusion existed , I went to look at that branch, and there was a leaf, that said that the classic album of the genre is Bitches Brew, I did not bought there, I went at L'échange on Mont Royal street later and bought it second hand (I still have it) and the rest is history.

Just to add a little more, I was working 5 minutes away from a bookstore who had the Penguin Guide To Jazz, so about twice a week I would go spend about 30 minutes reading that book, on the Miles chapter , they mentioned that the Crown classic was Kind of Blue, so I went to buy it at the HMV store which was a further 5 minutes walk, at first hearing , I did not liked it, things have changed since then, so that is how I got seriously in Jazz.

6. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

oh boy, you really got my hopes up, only to quash them immediately. I would have jumped all over a deal on this box of CDs! what an unbelievable treasure this thing is.

7. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

The music is still good when you listen on the flac files! You can burn your own CDs too, $9.50 for 12 CDs it is about 80 Cents an album. I cannot complain. I will let you guess which artist I am listening to now. Have a nice day.

Edit: If you really want the physical release, cdjapan has it, it is backorder for 2-4 weeks. for the modest amount of 22000 yen.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    ILovethebassclarinet and GnuHigh like this.
  8. Lonson

Dollar Brand Duo "Good News from Africa" Enja/Solid Records Japan cd

[​IMG]

Dollar Brand, Johnny Dyani

Mastering is not bad at all.

9. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Miles Davis
    Live Evil
    Columbia 1971 1st pressing NM
    I’ve been looking for a good copy for a while.
    I had 4 Beards version but never found it to have the pop of the Cellar Door box.

IMHO one of Miles’ schizophrenic offerings. Live and Studio by two different bands but Im guessing he knew it would work.

Well worth the wait and got it yesterday so I could play it on his birthday.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Happy Birthday!

[​IMG]

11. Lonson

Chet Baker "Oh You Crazy Moon" (The Legacy, Vol. 4) Enja/Solid Records Japan cd

[​IMG]

Chet Baker – trumpet, vocals
    Phil Markowitz – piano
    Scott Lee – bass
    Jeff Brillinger – drums

12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I received a 1988 West German CD copy of The Hub Of Hubbard (825 9556-2) earlier today that I got through Discogs and it sounds just fine....much better than the dreaded remaster.

13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

It is Miles Birthday today, so

[​IMG]

My first Miles Album, SQ on this version is way above what you found on The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions boxset.

14. I see you've listened to a couple of the recent Enja CDs from Japan.
    Is your conclusion that these are the best digital presentation of the material?
    I know @Sorcerer expressed some reservations about the mastering.
    I've hesitated on purchasing from the latest batch and may pursue the vinyl, but am eager to read more reviews given the excellent material.

NP: Joe Albany & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen ‎– Two's Company (Steeplechase Denmark OG 1974)

Albany's piano + NHOP bass (sigh). A perfect way to unwind on Wednesday evening, heading into a long weekend (thankfully).
    Steeplechase commissioned many of these spare duo recordings with NHOP along with stellar performers. They're uniformly excellent, always a fresh way to hear the performers stripped to the bare bones. And the original Danish pressings are catnip for a collector magpies like me—shiny, crafted objects of desire.

[​IMG]

15. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Miles Davis▼Bitches Brew

1996 - Sony Mastersound - SRCS 9118~9 CD​

16. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

this unofficial info from various sources has been making the rounds. you'd think if the actual release date were 60 day away that blue note would be marketing it to the skies?

think of it as the lee morgan equivalent of the complete plugged nickel set (a *lot* of duplicate compositions interpreted differently, nightly).

i'll take one, please.

17. djost

djost Hyperactive!

The Charles Lloyd Quartet - The Flowering
    Speakers Corner Records - SD 1586, Atlantic - SD 1586
    Original Release : 1971 / Reissue : 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Lonson

You would think. . .but this is becoming more common than you think, releases appearing without much fanfare or pre-sales information. A pandemic byproduct perhaps?

19. Lonson

David, I haven't heard a lot of digital versions of the few that arrived this week to say so. The Dollar Brand I thought sounded quite good, and I used to have the LP a long time ago, and never have had a cd version. The Chet Baker sounds okay but perhaps a bit "thinner" and with a touch more brightness than the earlier cd I have had, but that's not a bad thing, the other cd seems a bit sullen in comparison, but mastered with a bit less compression. It's not a clear picture so far. And I have learned that my heavily-tubed system with its eq and power treatment modes handles recent remasterings slightly more favorably than that of others so I hesitate to make pronouncements of this nature unless the improvement has been glaringly obvious such as the UHQCD/MQA Coltrane and Sanders and Shepp titles.

davidpoole and dennis the menace like this.
  20. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

[​IMG]

As far as I am concerned , this is probably the best SQ of all my Miles "Spine" boxset, currently listening to disc 2

2-1
    Ascent
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    14:52
    2-2
    Directions I
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    6:47
    2-3
    Directions II
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    4:51
    2-4
    Shhh / Peaceful
    Written-By – Miles Davis
    Written-By – Miles Davis
    19:15
    2-5
    In A Silent Way (Rehearsal)
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    5:24
    2-6
    In A Silent Way
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    Written-By – Joe Zawinul
    4:15
    2-7
    It's About That Time
    Written-By – Miles Davis
    Written-By – Miles Davis
    11:27

21. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...gettin’ in on the Miles fest. One of my faves....

[​IMG] Miles Davis ‎– Filles De Kilimanjaro

22. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Happy Birthday Miles Davis. Thank you for all the great music.

Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool
    Classic Records - T-762, Capitol Jazz - T-762
    Original Pressing : 1957 / Reissue : 2003
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Not when it comes to audiophile vinyl releases.

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

For better or for worse , the reset button on my brain always seems to be Parker these days...
    [​IMG]
    South of the Border from the resent 10in box.
    He is for me like Dylan, wherein it puts you back on track .. you know the sounds well but its never rote , always something that slaps you awake and back on track. Not sure how thats possible after so many listens.

25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

NP
    Ornette- Something Else
    [​IMG]

Probably worth more than 4 exclamation points. But they only printed 2 on “Tomorrow is the Question”. Art department giveth, and taketh away.