Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

2. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

The title track reminds me of Morgan’s The Sidewinder.

4. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Their Jazziest album

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and my favorite also.

5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

:agree:
    Yup. Seeking is awesome! Haven’t seen it in the wild ever…

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This is a fabulous jazz piano CD. The pianist is very distinctive in style. And the piano sound is just incredibly dynamic.

Swann36 and Little Zen like this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Your outline of the Audio Lab. label is excellent indeed! It looks pity to me that only limited amount of people know the allure of the label.
    This album is the showcase of ‘younger’ cats for the label. Love For Sale is another masterpiece of the line. Toshiyuki Sekine, Osamu Kawakami, Hideo Yamaki – Love For Sale (1978, Vinyl) And it is one of the best albums of the label both musically and sonically.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  8. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye (LP, Blue Note, 2002 (1966))

Freddie Hubbard (t, fgh), Alan Shorter (fgh), Grachan Moncur III (tb), James Spaulding (as), Wayne Shorter (ts), Herbie Hancock (p), Ron Carter (b), Joe Chambers (d)

It is been some time since I listened to this well-arranged album with its long compositions that have a slightly more avant-garde, spiritual feel than most of Shorter's Blue Note work. Today I am particularly grabbed by the rhythm section. Shorter clearly did not ask Hancock, Carter, and Chambers to provide a steady beat or groove. Hancock's sparse piano adds a subdued tension, Chambers' light and energetic drumming is interacting with the horns rather than laying a groundwork, and Carter's melodic bass runs are a joy to listen to. The impact of the rhythm section is only increased by the fact that the set also includes extended sections without all of its members, which adds to the impact each player has when returning after a short absence.

The final composition, 'Mephistoles' is by Alan Shorter and reminds me that I should one day check out his few solo recordings as well.

[​IMG]

9. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Blue Mitchell: Blue Soul

[​IMG]

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Toshiyuki Sekine - Love For Sale

jay.dee likes this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Probably my favorite of the Shorter Blue Notes.

12. Berthold

Blue Mitchell: Blue's Moods

[​IMG]

13. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Thanks for this new suggestion i shall find it online to hear it ...:D

14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I received my order of “Miles Davis, The Complete Columbia Album Collection” yesterday from jpc.de. They are selling it at a good price. Great collection.

15. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I'm glad that I've been able to avoid selling my copy over the past 50 or so years; still have Secrets too...
    Still wish I still had this one on Revelation though:
    [​IMG]

And having gone to Discogs for that, I'm now wondering who Sylvain Kassap is, and "what he sounds like." Sylvain Kassap

16. Berthold

Blue Mitchell: A Sure Thing

[​IMG]

17. ILovethebassclarinet

That Rockpalast archive seems to be a huge one; I'm glad to see that it's in circulation; I've got maybe 10 of the releases and I've barely started exploring what's available.

jay.dee and KCLizard like this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Thinking this morning about all the great DIW albums that are no longer in print in any form and that have continually been in rotation for me for decades now. Wondering if future generations will even hear this music. What got me thinking about it was returning once again to one my my faves, Blood Ulmer and George Adam's Original Phalanx album from '88 -- with Sirone and Rashied Ali. This is a kind of earworm for me with a theme that has been continually in my head I guess since the late '80s or early '90s. Could it be that long ago?

19. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Unexpectedly found new on Ebay, a US vinyl copy at $ 34.00:
    Big Sur Festival - One Hand Clapping featuring Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson, Taj Mahal, Mickey Newbury and Blood Sweat & Tears. :p

It should arrive in a month time.

20. ILovethebassclarinet

While DIW's releases of "those folks" (Murray/Ulmer/Adams, etc., not to mention the AEC and others) are long-time household favorites here too, I didn't know that DIW itself was now gone; as I could probably easily spend $1,000/day buying 'known' things that interest me, and can't afford that, I can't possibly keep up, and lots of things "get by me" including plenty of things that get mentioned here by 'younger' (under 70?) musicians; I'm sure that a common enough sentiment around here...

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. Berthold

Blue Mitchell: Blues On My Mind

[​IMG]

22. ILovethebassclarinet

I notice that Ella dedicated it to "Buck Ram," not Buck Ram... I wonder if "there's a story there?"

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

SJR, Irish51, frightwigwam and 3 others like this.
  24. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Spinning this cool classic on the Dual turntable I bought last weekend:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Rockpalast concerts are something legendary among European music fans. Many years ago I watched German TV channels. WDR TV broadcasted every Saturday night one or more concerts from Dortmund, Loreley and other venues.
    I saw Bob Marley, Santana, Wishbone Ash, Rory Gallagher, Steve Miller Band, Grateful Dead etc...
    I know that several stuff has been released on cd/dvd.