Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

My late night spin is this “Solid” effort from Grant Green, featuring an all-star line-up of musicians at the top of their game — recorded June 12, 1964, but not released until 1979!

Plus, there’s a really cool looking cover photo used on this MMJ SRX pressing . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/1979/2019 (SRX) Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MM-LT-990, Blue Note ‎– LT-990
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

My late night spin is this “Solid” effort from Grant Green, featuring an all-star line-up of musicians at the top of their game — recorded June 12, 1964, but not released until 1979!

Plus, there’s a really cool looking cover photo used on this MMJ SRX pressing . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/1979/2019 (SRX) Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MM-LT-990, Blue Note ‎– LT-990
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Blue Mitchell: Out Of The Blue

[​IMG]

4. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I have sets by Muddy Waters, John Cale, Albert Collins (IIRC), and a few more.

Robitjazz likes this.
  5. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Very nice! Blues and rock blues artists often performed at Rockpalast.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  6. ILovethebassclarinet

While I haven't seen Cale live, I saw both Muddy and Collins a number of times "in the flesh" in the '70s (Muddy) and '80s (Collins).

eeglug and Robitjazz like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not sure what you mean. Buck was obviously a nickname, perhaps the reason Ella put quotation marks around it.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Pharoah Sanders - Live at the East (Impulse, UCCI-9368)
    The second of two Pharoah Sanders SHM-CDs I bought.

9. Berthold

Blue Mitchell: The Cup Bearers

[​IMG]

10. ILovethebassclarinet

I guess I was being too obtuse about it; it's also the name used for many compositions and other musical activities; having just looked it up, I see that his "birth" name is Samuel, and Ram is his actual last name; the usage made me wonder if it was a "straight up pseudonym" to begin with, that's all I was getting at. "Sam Ram" does have a certain ring to it, but perhaps that's why he used Buck...

frightwigwam likes this.
  11. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    1978 Polydor / 2021 Polydor Japan CD

A pretty ambitious recording with horn section, string quartet, and crack band featuring Joe Farrell, Bunny Brunel, Tom Brechtlein, and Airto. The sound is excellent! Especially the low end.

12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Keith Jarrett - TheKoln Concert (ECM PROZ-1087)

Good morning everyone. I'm feeling for jazz piano and this album in particular.

Very good sound.

[​IMG]

13. Berthold

Blue Mitchell: Smooth As The Wind

[​IMG]

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

As you know, it will be reissued on SHM SACD from UNI Japan this month.

edit: https://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2021/05/13/0101

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Morning, So Far!

[​IMG]

Really nice album to start the day quietly.

Next, Keith homage to Mr. Blackbird (Sivad Selim)

[​IMG]

16. ILovethebassclarinet

Now playing:
    Disc 1 of
    [​IMG]
    for the 2nd time; a serendipitous find at Schuler's (local store) the other day; didn't even know it existed... very nice.
    Dexter Gordon - At The Subway Club, 1973

Next up is the new double disc edition of Mingus at Carnegie Hall, 1974, which arrived yesterday and is still shrink-wrapped - for about 2 more minutes as Dex just finished as I was typing this... The original LP was one of my favorites from and in the '70s; don't yet know how much of the previously unreleased material has Rahsaan, but "I'm hoping!"

17. ILovethebassclarinet

"Mean clarinet" yesterday made me think of this guy, who also 'plays one,' and is heard about very little, it seems to me:

"A revolutionary" he's not so much, but dam* fine clarinetist works, I'd say...
    [​IMG]
    Ken Peplowski

dennis the menace likes this.
  18. Berthold

Blue Mitchel: The Blue Note Sessions #2

[​IMG]

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Kirk just appears on the already released material. But the new material is great!

20. Your review of the Tubby Hayes vinyl boxed set is very very helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time.
    Gearbox's mastering has been excellent on other releases, so I'm confident the sound will be great.
    Didn't realize they were using the cheapo covers. That's a shame, given how lovely the Fontana laminated sleeves were.
    Yes, I read LJC's comparison. And just having stereo is already a good thing.
    It is mostly the material that I'm on the fence about. To go from 'no Tubby' to 'nearly all Tubby' in one purchase is a commitment without an easy way to sample.
    Also, frustrating that Rough Trade UK has been discounting it heavily, but with shipping, Amazon still makes more sense.
    (sigh) -- as always, overthinking these purchases. The mental energy put into record shopping could be solving real world problems.

Ooh. That's another Revelation title I'll look for. Thanks.

Here are the ten Louis Armstrong UHQCD titles coming August 4, 2021 (figured it'd be helpful to paste these from CD Japan).
    Which are folks planning on picking up?
    Do these overlap much with the various Mosaic sets?
    1. What a Wonderful World
    2. Hello, Dolly!
    3. Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson +4
    4. Satchmo 1950
    5. Satchmo At Symphony Hall +1
    6. Satchmo At Pasadena
    7. Satchmo In Style +4
    8. The Five Pennies Original Soundtrack
    9. Satchmo Serenade +10
    10. Bing & Satchmo +1
    Thanks @Sorcerer - Really appreciate your continued comparisons of the Shepp titles.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Actually not much of this is on any of the Armstrong Mosaic sets, parts of "Serenades," I think that's all.

I actually don't plan on getting any of these. I have nearly all this material in sound that I have listened to happily for years, I'll hang with what I have.

davidpoole likes this.
  22. ILovethebassclarinet

So I'm hearing at the moment; I'm now on disc 1... I'm in another room, but it's loud and I can definitely recognize HB...

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have him on a Joe Pass album but I’m on the road so can’t come up with a name. We’re heading towards home today and will arrive home tomorrow. It’s been quite an eventful trip from the tufas of Mono Lake, gale force winds at the largest ghost town in the U.S., an epic drive to the bristle cone pine groves, more alpine lakes than you can shake a stick at and a rodeo in Bishop (so far).

peter1 and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  24. WP: Gato Barbieri - Caliente! (A&M LP)

First listen. I must have seen this title in the $1 bins countless times over the years, and finally picked up a copy.
    Barbieri's Flying Dutchman titles prior to this have been really enjoyable.
    This more commercial effort is mixed, but not quite the saccharine effort I imagined. Damning with faint praise perhaps.
    AllMusic review and user reviews are positive for the accessible Latin cross-over, though acknowledging Alpert's polished production.
    I found his earlier material more immediately compelling and adventurous. Far more 'caliente' than this. But will give it another spin.

[​IMG]

NP: Duke Ellington - Recollections of the Big Band Era (Atlantic 1974 LP, rec. 1962/63)

At first glance this looked like a compilation of pre-LP material, but it was recorded (and very well) 1962-63 with Ellington's orchestra of that era.
    It lacks some of the pizzazz of actual big band era recordings, a little sedate. But the virtuosic playing is a pleasure.

[​IMG]

25. ILovethebassclarinet

I've 3 of his Concords, but haven't heard him much on recordings by others, which I know he's made a few of; didn't know he'd made one with Pass.
    The trip sounds like fun; I like "getting away from civilization" now and then, and it's been a while.