Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Lawson is new to me - but Jimmy Madison was with Rahsaan for some time, assuming, of course that, 'it's not a different guy with the same name and instrument.' I've heard Harris before too.

davidpoole likes this.
  2. ILovethebassclarinet

Now that right there is one I've never seen nor heard.
    Of course, it would be my expectation that new Moers titles would have been much easier to find in the NYC area then than here in EL, even though that was at the end of the heyday of the "record store" in these parts.

3. NP: Zoot Sims - Trotting! (Prestige mono 1963, 'RVG')

A reissue of Quartets 1956, which was in turn a reissue of Sims' first two 10" EPs on Prestige in 1951 with Blakey, John Lewis etc.

Sounds fantastic. 60s Prestige reissues are often audiophile bargains, using 50s stampers, but cleaner.

[​IMG]

After the chat up-thread about alt. covers, this has had its fair share. The more common is:

[​IMG]

Berthold, vanhooserd, Stu02 and 7 others like this.
  4. Here's a sampling of Janet Lawson's vocals on Round Midnight to give you a flavor

Mike6565 likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Someone did us a favor with it on YouTube. Listening to this album on YouTube and reading Braxton's composition notes on these piece a couple of years ago is really the thing that finally began to open Braxton's music up to me, after many years of listening to it with curiosity and having even seen him play but not really being able to find my way into it.

6. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

yeah this one is getting silly with the pricing, hopefully they do another run it’s a beauty.

davidpoole likes this.
  7. NP: Sarah Vaughan - Dreamy (EMUS 1974)

Here's another audiophile bargain. The original 1960 Roulette, and reissues on Forum and Forum Circle aren't necessarily going to sound as good as the Bell Sound Joe Brescio mastering on EMUS, which can be found in $ bins (look for 'Bell Sound' in deadwax). For some reason EMUS shaved off two tracks from the original, which is a shame.

[​IMG]

8. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

Variations, Carter's other LP Moers, is worth listening to as well - I might even play it later today!

It's got great lineup of Carter, Bobby Bradford, Philip Wilson, James Newton, and Bob Stewart.

[​IMG]

And I just noticed there is even a CD version with a different cover - though it might not easy to find one in the US.

Stu02, GnuHigh, Starwanderer and 5 others like this.
  9. nostromo53

nostromo53 Bon Vivant-At-Large

Lovely Sunday morning here in the north woods. Pulling out a couple of things from left field.

[​IMG]

This is Daryl Harper, jazz clarinetist with his quintet. Brilliant stuff...a musical sample here:

Reoccurring Dream – Darryl Harper Jazz

And, then the Matt Kane Trio, featuring Dave Stryker (guitar) and Kyle Koehler (organ)

[​IMG]

dennis the menace and Mike6565 like this.
  10. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

$1bin find, this cleaned up great, super lineup
    [​IMG]
    Stanley Turrentine ‎– Sugar
    Label:
    CTI Records ‎– CTI 6005
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz

Credits

11. Pauljw

Pauljw Forum Resident

Todays listen:

[​IMG]

Blakey's Jazz Messengers are a sextet for this Blue Note recording session. Personnel:

Art Blakey drums
    Lee Morgan trumpet
    Curtis Fuller trombone
    Wayne Shorter tenor sax
    Cedar Walton piano
    Reggie Workman bass

Not one "dud" on this album.

Track listing

1. "The Egyptian" (Fuller) – 10:25
    2. "Sortie" (Fuller) – 8:13
    3. "Calling Miss Khadija" (Morgan) – 7:21
    4. "When Love is New" (Walton) – 6:02
    5. "Mr. Jin" (Shorter) – 7:04
    6. "It's a Long Way Down" (Shorter) – 5:26 Bonus track on CD
    Recorded on April 24 (#5) and May 15 (#1-4), 1964. Bonus track on April 15, 1964.

Once again, one of my favorite drummers, Mr. Blakey and Blue Note, gathers a band together and all of them are HOF jazz musicians. Steller performances by all. The opener, The Egyptian, sets the pace for this excellent Hard Bop recording. If you are a fan of "The School of Hard Bop" this record should be in your collection.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Anyone know if the APO SACD sounds much better? I never got around to ordering that.

[​IMG]

13. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I'm happy to say that i've just bought ..via discogs direct from Japan ...arriving sometime in July by the time the post gets to me .. these 2 beauties ... i've been waiting to find them at an affordable price for me ..and it happened this afternoon ... I've listened to them so many times on utube or spotify .... admittedly i've bought the Craftman TBM CD reissues but the vinyl is soooo expensive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i can't wait till i can play them on my system ...

Oh if you don't know of the Tsuyoshi Trio then grab a listen where ever you can ..fantastic light jazz piano, bass and drums simple, elegant, engaging and stunning all rolled into one ...

14. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Started my Sunday walking the dog before we cut thru a few yards to get home and beat the rain, that blew thru quickly. Should have known it would rain since I went ahead and watered the garden earlier!!!

15. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Billy Harper Quintet In Europe (Black Saint)

16. ILovethebassclarinet

Haven't seen that cover before, but that's it; I have the 1977 Catalyst version.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoyable, but not essential I'd say.

I've always wondered about Catalyst, as they were affiliated with Springboard International, which I first encountered as the manufacturers of the Upfront label, whose vinyl and pressing quality were generally close to comparable in the ones I've encountered; lots of stuff from VeeJay, for one, blues and jazz both. Catalyst had better pressings, and seemed to be trying to morph into a 'real' label; they had some nice recordings of various provenance.
    UpFront Records (3)
    Springboard
    Trip Records too, as well as numerous others:
    Springboard International Records, Inc.

davidpoole likes this.
  17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The AP SACD sounds very good and a net improvement on the OJC CD I have but this is the only version I can compare it to.

Sorcerer and GregM like this.
  18. ILovethebassclarinet

If it's anything like it is around here there, then 'more isn't a problem.' It rained briefly both before and after I watered yesterday. Leaves got wet, but the ground under them was still dry.

19. ILovethebassclarinet

I can walk a few feet away and find it.... Nightfire too:
    [​IMG]

20. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Here are two more great-but-hard-to-find Moers Music LPs, both featuring one of my all-time favorite musicians, George Lewis, and both recorded at the International New Jazz Festival in Moers, Germany (in 1976 and 1978).

According to Discogs neither of these was ever reissued on CD.

Anthony Braxton / George Lewis Duo - Elements of Surprise (1976/1978)

[​IMG]

Fred Anderson Quintet - Another Place (1978) (an early recording of "Hank" Drake before he was Hamid)

[​IMG]

21. This vinyl is indeed "Sugar"
    ;-}}

22. Very interesting his 2 albums " Twin I & II"

23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Not familiar. I mainly listened to the debut, and the Birthday Concert CD. And Word Of Mouth once in a while.

24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Charles Mingus - Mingus At Carnegie Hall (Atlantic R2-154657)

Just received this a few hours ago from Amazon...this will be my evening treat !

[​IMG]

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Interesting... is it possible for you to take a photo of the liner notes and post it here?