Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Michael Abene & WDR Big Band: Soft Lights And Sweet Music

JazzcornerND likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is why I would try listening to more Ellington, especially in different settings. Small groups, piano trios, duets, etc.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Carla Bley - "Syndrome" -Mike Abene - Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Sorry, I missed your Miles embargo. It's just such a classic and rewarding release it was my very first thought.

As for Ellington. . . you may well become an Ellington fan in time. I wasn't one until my second decade of jazz listening. . . and since then I have become a rabid fan.

5. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Bunny Berigan: The Brunswick, Parlophone & Vocalion Sessions #2

[​IMG]

6. NP: Art Farmer, Benny Golson - Another Git Together (Mercury stereo OG LP)

After seeing the album posted here I found a copy and am enjoying the excellent playing not just by Farmer and Golson, but thread-favorite Grachan Moncur III. Also, Tommy Nola's stereo recording from Nola Penthouse studios is a plus. The album title makes it sound like a throwaway or blowing session, but Moncur's composition and Golson's compositions bring unique qualities to this 'git together'.
    [​IMG]

7. jbg

jbg Senior Member

8. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Colour Me Grumpy!

I have listened to Ellington at various times. Just doesn’t do anything for me.
    Funnily enough I do have the new Mingus (I have it as a download. It’s interesting...and a challenge! Which is not a bad thing lol.

9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Was listening to this album earlier today as well. Very mellow :thumbsup:

frightwigwam and jbg like this.
  10. NP: Don Ellis (Candid / Barnaby stereo)

Don Ellis is a trumpeter I'm still becoming familiar with, and realizing I should explore further.

I've been comparing several Candid reissues in stereo (Barnaby reissues on LP) vs. mono (recent Japanese CDs), and mostly favor the stereo.
    This is not a title I have on CD, but the stereo sounds satisfying, and the quartet are in fine form. Not 'third stream jazz' as I understand it—more straight ahead bop.
    [​IMG]

11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Some more suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet by Lon and Chervokas.

• Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers Ugetsu (Riverside)
    • Eric Dolphy & Booker Little Memorial Album (Prestige); This is At the Five Spot Vol. 3. The RVG CD remaster includes this album as bonus material on Vol. 1 & 2, but the RVG sounds atrocious and nothing like the original releases (and, frankly, every other reissue).
    • Joe Henderson The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard Vol. 1 & 2 (Blue Note); From the 1980s, but great.
    • Freddie Hubbard Without a Song: Live in Europe 1969 (Blue Note)
    • The Great Jazz Trio (Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Tony Williams) At the Village Vanguard Vol. 1 & 2 and At the Village Vanguard Again (East Wind)
    • Charles Mingus @Bremen 1964 & 1975 (Sunnyside); 4 CD set. A new release with a stunning performance by Mingus' last great 1970s band in great sound on discs 3 & 4.
    • Archie Shepp Steam (Enja)
    • Archie Shepp Attica Blues Big Band: Live at the Palais des Glaces 1979 (Blue Marge)
    • McCoy Tyner Enlightenment (Milestone)
    • McCoy Tyner Passion Dance (Milestone)
    • Ben Webster Saturday Night at the Montmartre (Black Lion)

jonwoody, Stu02, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  12. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

oh man, Ellington really does it for me.

Duke Ellington - The Cotton Club Years

[​IMG]

When Ellington is on, I can't fathom music getting any better. I'm sure it can and does, but it really feels like it doesn't.

13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Get the Dexter Gordon Mosaic Select. Late 70s live material that you'll probably dig.

SOONERFAN and Snaphappy like this.
  14. Snaphappy

Thank you for taking the time. I really do appreciate it.

15. Snaphappy

A few of those look very intriguing!!

16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

No doubt anyone who follows up on this recording will discover the entire catalog known as Bear's Sonic Journals that includes recordings by Doc and Earle Watson, Hot Tuna, The Allman Brothers, and others. Bear's recording of the Allmans was made the weekend they shared the bill with the Grateful Dead at Fillmore East in February of 1970. Bear considered Fillmore East in 1970 to have been a peak time and place for music, the Grateful Dead's in particular. His recordings of The Dead that weekend appear on the Warner Brothers album History of the Grateful Dead Bear's Choice as well as volume four in the Dick's Picks series. Bears Sonic Journals - Owsley Stanley Foundation

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  17. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I've had this forever. I have no idea how to define the jazz subgenre called Spiritual Jazz. When I first heard this it seemed to mine a similar sonic vein as the music of McCoy Tyner of that time, specifically the Extensions and Sahara albums. Heavily African coloration. Idris Ackamoor has continued to be fairly active through the years since. I have a CD compilation of his that includes some Pyramids on it. I think these musicians got together at Antioch.

pig bodine likes this.
  18. Berthold

Bunny Berigan: I Can't Get Started

[​IMG]

peter1 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  19. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (Blue Note/Analogue Productions CAPP-042 SA)

Haven't listen to this album in ages. It sold over 25 million copies in the days when CDs were hot things. Nice and mellow, perfect for this morning.

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

She sure is a beautiful woman. I met her father when I was young. . . and I would never have guessed he would have two beautiful daughters . . . . A very nice man, a huge talent, but not the most handsome of men.

21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I recommend the Bird Live at the Savoy. See https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Live-Performances-Savoy-1947-Oct/dp/B00000DC2I

Also, Dexter Gordon did a lot of live performances that were issued by SteepleChase. All recommended. Here are a couple of suggestions.

Dexter Gordon Quartet – Billie’s Bounce – SteepleChase 36028 (Volume 7, Dexter in Radioland)

Dexter Gordon Quartet – It’s You Or No One – SteepleChase 36022 (Volume 6, Dexter in Radioland)

Dexter Gordon Quartet – I Want More – SteepleChase 36015 (Volume 4, Dexter in Radioland)

You can probably find them on Discogs.

jay.dee and Snaphappy like this.
  22. [​IMG]

jerry garcia & david grisman | so what (Acoustic Disc) HDCD

Jerry Garcia (guitar), David Grisman (mandolin), Jim Kerwin (bass), Joe Craven (percussion), Matt Eakle (flute)

Tracks recorded between 1990-1992 at various sessions.

[​IMG]

Posted about this elsewhere but so what! All 8 tracks sound very classy and are Jazz influenced recordings with 5 selections written by Miles Davis, two by Milt Jackson plus one David Grisman original.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Irish51, jonwoody, charlesp and 2 others like this.
  23. Berthold

Bunny Berigan: The Brunswick, Parlophone & Vocalion Sessions #4

[​IMG]

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They have a vaccine for that.

jonwoody likes this.
  25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat (Blue Note/AudioWave AWMXR-0008)

Very good session from August 1964.

[​IMG]

fingerpoppin, jonwoody, JakeM and 6 others like this.