Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have nearly all of David Grisman's recordings, as he used to send them to me after we met in the early 1980's. But I missed that one. Thanks for the tip.

I highly recommend the Tone Poems series. Each has an amazing book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

One of my favorite all time albums, although the songs were originally released as singles. Crosscut Saw and Laundromat Blues are some of my favorite songs.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I don't want it.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. Lonson

Alice Coltrane (with strings) "World Galaxy" 60th Anniversary SHM-CD Japan

[​IMG]

One of my favorite Alice releases in great sound.

6. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

The Complete Aladdin Recordings of Lester Young

[​IMG]

7. LaBowe

LaBowe Forum Resident

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Once you feel Ellington's music, no vaccine will stop the urge to listen to more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'll repeat this one, a great image for a framed poster.

Ellington dancing!

[​IMG]

10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

[​IMG]

Dexter Gordon--Gettin' Around ...as was stated above...a mellow groove.

Flick Of A Trick

Review by Michael G. Nastos
    Dexter Gordon's mid-'60s period living in Europe also meant coming back to the U.S. for the occasional recording session. His teaming with Bobby Hutcherson was intriguing in that the vibraphonist was marking his territory as a maverick and challenging improviser. Here the two principals prove compatible in that they have a shared sense of how to create sheer beauty in a post-bop world. Add the brilliant Barry Harris to this mix, and that world is fortunate enough to hear these grand masters at their creative peak, stoked by equally extraordinary sidemen like bassist Bob Cranshaw and drummer Billy Higgins, all on loan from Lee Morgan's hitmaking combo.

The subtle manner in which Gordon plays melodies or caresses the most recognizable standard has always superseded his ability to ramble through rough-and-tumble bebop. It's hard to resist how Gordon massages the light and sweet bossa nova "Manha de Carnaval" hand in hand with Hutcherson, the heartfelt way "Who Can I Turn To?" or "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" is turned into a personalized statement, or how the co-leaders take Frank Foster's Count Basie staple, "Shiny Stockings," beyond a classic and into immortal territory. Where Gordon and Hutcherson's true strength lies is in their ability to listen and balance their sound into a unified whole beyond any other tenor sax-vibraphone combination you might care to name, unless it's Hutch's partnership in the ensuing years with Harold Land. Picking up on a Sonny Rollins idea, "Heartaches" is a loping cowboy-type swinger with some lustrous comping from Hutcherson and Harris, while the light, cat-prancing "Le Coiffeur" is the highlight among highlights, a stealth calypso with Gordon's deftly rendered staccato notation.

One has to listen closer to the pianist on this date, as he buoys the others without demanding equal space, but he is just as reverberant. While this is not Gordon's ultimate hard bop date, it is reflective of his cooling out in Europe, adopting a tonal emphasis more under the surface than in your face. It's not essential, but quite enjoyable, and does mark a turning point in his illustrious career. [The CD version contains two bonus tracks, including the Onzy Matthews composition "Very Saxily Yours" with a melody very similar to "Shiny Stockings," Hutcherson alone during a second chorus, and a classy quarter-to-eighth note solo by Gordon. Ben Tucker's "Flick of a Trick" is added on, an 11-minute groove blues that lets Harris cut loose, digging in after-hours style.]

11. Lonson

Something different that I'm enjoying.

Orville Peck "Pony"
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Six String like this.
  12. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Alex Cline is a very underrated drummer. One of my favorites.

13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I didnt know these two (ben and tracey) were recorded together
    Wonderful thanks

jonwoody likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Duke and Orson Welles

[​IMG]

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The dancer from the audience that helped generate so much excitement during Ellington's performance at Newport (including from the players themselves) helping to kickstart Ellington's great popular revival.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Mats Öberg - Frankful

[​IMG]

Just got my CD copy of this beautiful album. Mats Öberg, blind Swedish genius from my favorite band Mats/Morgan, improvises an entire album's worth of solo piano pieces based on Frank Zappa compositions. The result is simply gorgeous, and it is obvious this music is very dear to him. Mats and Morgan Agren had played with Zappa in their early teens and had left quite an impression on him.

Get it from Mats' Bandcamp directly.

18. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Ron Carter/Herbie Hancock/Tony Williams - Third Plane (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-754-2)

Excellent. From July 1977.

[​IMG]

19. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

A bit worrying. In Italy there is a slight but constant rise of new cases though the no-vax folks seems to be more affected.

GnuHigh likes this.
  20. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Night Of The Cookers is a bit underrated.

I don't know how to explain this to myself. Hubbard and Morgan together! I agree that both of them have made better albums, but that live recording deserves more appreciation for me.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, the bulk of the new cases here, and especially the hospitalizations, seem to be among non vaccinated. But breakthrough infections in my personal circle have become relatively common. One commonality, all the five breakthrough infection cases among fully vaccinated folks in my personal circle in recent weeks, have come among people who have travelled and travelled on airplanes. All had symptoms, the worst of which was flu like congestion and 102 degree F fever. Despite being fully vaccinated, I'm still keeping my social circle small, wearing a mask in public settings, not going out to parties or bars or restaurants or sporting events or anything like that, and certainly not getting on an public airplane or spending hours in airport terminals with people traveling far and wide from all over. I have my 92 year old mother in law living with me and she has a number of health issues, and I can't bring COVID home. I've managed to go without getting COVID despite being in an office at work straight through the pandemic so far, and trying to keep it that way.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  22. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

'Rejoice' by Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela on Qobuz Open Qobuz

Irish51, bluemooze and frightwigwam like this.
  23. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Zappa made sharp judgments but sometimes founded guys endowed with the same sarcasm. :D

24. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I have seen that it has not been mentioned yet.
    I recommend among live albums Errol Garner's Concert By The Sea. Garner is pure joy of living.

25. A little off topic of this thread
    Reads good and well reflected. More of this attitude is needed

LaBowe, jonwoody and nostromo53 like this.