Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
    Moanin’
    UCCU-40032 Platinum SHM Mono cd

Moanin’ and Paris 58 Au Club St Germain were my first Art Blakey’s in early 80’s that turned me on to hard bop.

Lee Morgan is the star here IMHO. Love soulful playing by Bobby Timmons as well. Every time I play Moanin , I’m reminded of how cool The Drum Thunder Suite is.

Love these Japanese PaperSleeve SHM’s, they sound really good on my rig. Started buying vinyl again in 2017 ….thinking maybe I should have stayed with the SHM’s.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have all those Blue Note Platinum SHM-CDs and they sound wonderful on my system as well.

Sorcerer likes this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This 1968 compilation of 1939-42 recordings was part of my early education in jazz, borrowed from the public library. It includes the hits Cherokee, Redskin Rhumba & Pompton Turnpike. Most of the solos are by Barnet on tenor, alto & soprano sax and by excellent trumpet player Bobby Burnet. Cherokee & Redskin Rhumba are essentially parts 1 & 2 of the same riff-based head arrangement, although Rhumba was recorded 15 months later as a sequel. Pompton is a Billy May tune with the composer on trumpet. There's also a nice vocal by the young Lena Horne.

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Absolutely great stuff

Irish51 and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I only have I and II but high quality recommendations

6. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thelonious Monk & Orchestra: At Town Hall

[​IMG]

peter1, SeeDubs, Six String and 11 others like this.
  7. Berthold

Thelonious Monk: In Concert #1

[​IMG]

peter1, SeeDubs, Six String and 11 others like this.
  8. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

The double LP Monk tribute was the first Wilner-related LP I bought/heard, and I liked the variety encompassed when hearing musicians handle repertoire they didn't 'normally,' as well as combos 'that weren't found in the wild.'

Some of the "mix and matching"-ing of musicians also reminds me of Kip Hanrahan's run of releases c. the 1980s.

peter1, SeeDubs and almost unison like this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

IIRC, Dannie Richmond originally played tenor sax before being 'converted.'

jay.dee and davidpoole like this.
  10. Disc Five from PROMISE KEPT: THE COMPLETE ARTISTS HOUSE RECORDINGS - ART PEPPER (Omnivore/Widow's Taste) 5CD Box

[​IMG]

SESSIONS - ART PEPPER (Omnivore/Widow's Taste) CD
    with
    Art Pepper (alto sax & clarinet), George Cables (piano), Charlie Haden (bass), Billy Higgins (drums) - Recorded 1979

An excellent 11 track album and probably my most listened to disc in the 5CD boxset.

One track, 'But Beautiful' (take 2) was previously issued on Artists House Sessions: Complete (Widow's Taste download).

The other 10 selections were previously unreleased alternate takes (including two that are long false starts).

[​IMG]

* The total playing time of the box set is approx. 6 hours *

Jam757, markp, Irish51 and 8 others like this.
  11. ILovethebassclarinet

jay.dee likes this.
  12. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Colour Me Grumpy!

Can I just say a big Thank You to everyone who took the time out to reply to this. I received some fantastic suggestions to check out.

13. Berthold

Thelonious Monk: The Nonet

[​IMG]

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In a year that's already seen the release of a tremendous number of excellent new jazz album, here comes another lovely one, Ben Goldberg's Everything Happens to Be. It sounds like an odd mix -- jazz inspired at least in part by chorale music traditions -- with Goldberg's rich low collection of clarinets and Ellery Eskelin's tenor plus the Thumbscrew rhythm section -- though Halvorson functions as much as part of the chorale front line as anything else. But it's really quite pretty, and rangy music.

[​IMG]

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this, i had not seen it. I love all things BG. I find he has this wide body ofcwork yet he has a personal sound that is immediately recognizable through his catalogue. I puzzle over what factors define his sound signature; his tone, a cluster of unusual notes or note progressions that he sprinkles in regularly, a use of space and or rthyme or pulse or metre that is uniquely his. I dont know , but like so many individual greats , my ears know its he.

What are your favorite Goldberg discs?

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I've heard a lot of his playing over the years but never taken a deep dive into his work as a leader. I will say, one really ambitious, original, thought provoking and unique work he did that really knocked me out was Orphic Machine. But maybe it's time to go through some more of his proejcts. Cuing up Unfold Open Mind for later.

ILovethebassclarinet and Stu02 like this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP Journeys in Modern Jazz Britain[​IMG]
    Loaded with all the stars on the Brit scene. Im still hoping they release Stan Tracey records.

18. Berthold

Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser

[​IMG]

peter1, mwheelerk, Irish51 and 12 others like this.
  19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Orphic Machine is a desert island disc for me. ( the vocalist whos name escapes me has an ethereal haunted sound to my ears that is the perfect foil for his music) one of my favourite pieces of music of any genre

davidpoole and chervokas like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Bill Evans "Behind the Dikes" 2 cd set, disc 1
    [​IMG]

I always enjoy this trio with Marty Morell. Do I really need another Bill Evans Trio release? Guess so . . . .

21. ILovethebassclarinet

Reminds me of 'More Duke? Don't you already have a few hundred of those?'

Lonson likes this.
  22. NP: Jackie McLean - A Long Drink of the Blues (OJC LP mono 1957, RP 1986)

Starting Wednesday morning off slowly with a first listen to this bluesy set.
    [​IMG]

23. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

great choice!

24. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

thank you for sharing this, I had never heard Pepper with these musicians! what a great group.

25. jbg

jbg Senior Member