Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The funny thing is that I'm 99% sure I saw that band live at Le Lion D'Or around 2008. It was a corporate event so I did not have the chance to sit down and really listen to them as much as I wanted to. They played only Mingus music and I remember clearly Fables Of Faubus.

GnuHigh and KCLizard like this.
  2. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I may have seen them at the Jazz fest, but only , if it was a free outdoor concert... I do not recall exactly.

Fables of Faubus is great!

dennis the menace likes this.
  3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Love this album!

Mook and Robitjazz like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I try to keep a laugh track playing in my house most of the time, as my wife no longer laughs at my jokes.

5. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse!/Analogue Productions CIPJ-30 SA)

I know it's not the next in line Coltrane session but you can't fight an urge....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  6. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Listening to one of my favorite albums of 2020: Omer Avital's Qantar group, New York Paradox on Jazz&People/Zamzama Records CD. I love music that swings while still feeling fresh.
    [​IMG]

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I want in on the action too of the Mingus tribute discs, I first played this live one mentioned here but bought the other at the same time from squidco and Gnu High asked me how I knew about the leader and I ordered a box set from the label ritght after. . . that I haen't recived yet, hopefully soon.

Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

The at the time unreleased tracks of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs were reissued in May of this year on SHM-CD as Circling In (UCCU-3208/9). The mastering of both releases is (roughly) comparable and much better than the 2002 Ron McMaster CD. I do have the 1988 Malcolm Addey remixed and mastered CD with the tracks out of original order, but prefer the original LP track order. And the Circling In album is also programmed well imo.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Ray Cole likes this.
  9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

De-ageing software can work miracles these days. :hide:

10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Some days in delay already, but I think we have to congratulate @Lonson (and all members) on this one...

[​IMG]

5 years of jazz & conversation.... A monster of a thread!

11. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Had never seen the cover for the UA version before - thanks David!

davidpoole likes this.
  12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Chick Corea Circling in (Blue Note, UCCU-3208/9), SHM-CD.

13. [​IMG]

ONE FOR FUN - BILLY TAYLOR (Atlantic) CD
    with
    Bass –
    Earl May / Drums – Kenny Dennis / Piano – Billy Taylor

Recorded 1959. CD reissued in Japan on 24 bit remaster CD as part of Atlantic's Jazz 1000 Best Collection series.

The music is a mix of originals and standards and everything comes across in crystal clear sound. Playing time is just over 37 minutes.

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Steve Lehman Octet Travail, Transformation, and Flow (Pi Recordings)

SeeDubs, jay.dee, alarickc and 5 others like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The music is great, but some discs in this Japanese series suffer from compression.

16. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I picked up three of those recent reissues - Circling In, Circulus, The Song of Singing and it's great to have them but (i) jewel cases. Really? and (ii) the liner notes just scaled down in size so you need a magnifying glass or scanner handy to read them, seemed to indicate a lack of care on the reissues to me.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Took my mom - mostly a classical fan - to see a jazz show this weekend. Had this discussion as we listened to bands led by Frank Vignola and Winard Harper.

Her: it all sounds like something i'vd heard before and nothing original.

Me: they are literally making up every note as they play it, while the music you prefer has the same notes every time.

Her: classical musicians can play those notes differently each time so there is room for interpretation.

Me: Sure not denying there can be some creative expression in playing classical music but less than when you are choosing your own notes while performing.

Her: Sure but all those notes are chosen within one idiom so it's not thst original

Me: yes the idiom is called Jazz and it is more limiting than free improvisation but less so than playing precisely notated pieces. It is fine for you to not care for the idiom, but claiming that the reason you don't like it is that it is more repetitive and less creative than performing classical repertoire does not hold up.

They start playing a Stevie Wonder piece - Isn't She Lovely, still improvising around it but now there aren't really jazz rhythms or harmonies

Her: I like this better

Me: I like this too

Her: Why do you think I like this better?

Me: It's not fully jazz, it's jazz musicians improvising around a pop/soul tune. You don't really like the jazz idiom.

I know there are a lot of levels of nuance beyond what I was saying - obviously jazz isn't only one idiom, free improv can be jazz, etc - I was painting in broad strokes

18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    morning folks
    Listening to a record that was just formally nominated to join the every growing ‘ St02 Desert Island Classics’ list.
    Im gonna need an even bigger boat to get these records there
    Kenny Wheeler
    GNU HIGH

19. ILovethebassclarinet

I've been thinking that I need to get another copy, as I don't believe I've heard it since reluctantly selling it in the 1980s...

Fent99 and Stu02 like this.
  20. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Frank Kimbrough: Monk's Dreams #2

[​IMG]

21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Jewel cases! :pineapple: Yay!!! :D

[​IMG]
    Nagaoka Resealable CD P-Case OP Covers (20-Sheet Set) Audio Accessory Collectible

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My software is fine. It's the hardware that can be a problem.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

I like all of those '70s Carr LPs, but this:
    [​IMG]
    is the only one I still have, (the others 'went with Gnu High' back in the 1980s) and played it just last week, after pulling it out as I was browsing through the Benny Carter LPs. I've been thinking that I need to re-acquire it (the Carr back catalog, that is), as well as 'catch up with what Carr did after that.'

dennis the menace likes this.
  24. ILovethebassclarinet

LOL, 'surely you've heard of 3-D printers.'

25. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Billy Taylor - Solo [ Taylor-Made Recordings T1002] CD
    [​IMG]
    From 1988 with Billy Taylor: piano.