Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thelonious Monk: 5 By Monk By 5

[​IMG]

jonwoody, peter1, bluemooze and 16 others like this.
  2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

3. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

SeeDubs, jonwoody, peter1 and 14 others like this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

jonwoody, Glenn coates, SJR and 16 others like this.
  5. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Miles Davis - Tutu

[​IMG]
    This is sounding really good to me this morning. Very funky, great way to start the week. Have a good one.

jonwoody, SJR, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Recently:

Barre Phillips - Three Day Moon (can’t get the very simple ostinato bass riff on A-i-a out of my head!)
    Coltrane - Live at Birdland
    McCoy Tyner - The Impulse! Years
    Grant Green - The Latin Bit

jonwoody, bluemooze, alarickc and 7 others like this.
  7. Berthold

Thelonious Monk: In Rotterdam #1

[​IMG]

8. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Dave Holland Ones All (Intuition Music)
    If there's a greater jazz bass solo album I'd like to hear it.

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

if you dont know this compilation you are in for a treat . It is the best bass solo record ever in the history of mankind !
    [​IMG]

11. Berthold

Thelonious Monk: Les Liaisons Dangereuses #1

[​IMG]

12. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

Last weekend was my first trip abroad in almost two years. Usually that's nothing special if you live in such a small country as the Netherlands but for some easily-guessed reason I have not traveled at all since early last year.

That means that I hardly listened to music for a whole weekend. However, on the train I started in Karen Chilton's Hazel Scott: The Pioneering Journey of a Jazz Pianist from Café Society to Hollywood to HUAC.

[​IMG]

So far, it's an interesting read about the struggles of a talented, strong woman from a Trinidadian family that moved to NY in between the World Wars. But interesting as her life story is, the parts of the book that interest me most (s0 far) provide a close look at the unsurprising plight and admirable achievements of many black women in a profession (and world) that was not particularly welcoming to their ambitions. It also provides some interesting insights into the informal networks that shaped the NY music scene in the 30s and 40s (even if this might not be all that new to the true connoisseurs in this tread).

Inspired by reading about Scott's early career, I am now spinning Onyx Records' Cafe Society compilation. Scott had her major breakthrough at Café Society and it is nice to hear some of the other people who performed on its stages in the 1940s. At the moment I am enjoying Mary Lou Williams' all-female band with Mary Osborne (g, voc), Marjorie Hyams (vb), Bea Taylor (b), Bridget O'Flynn (d).

[​IMG]

13. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Chick Corea and Origin - Change

[​IMG]

I've bought so many CDs in the past month, I'm trying to play the ones I haven't listened to enough on a more regular basis. This isn't my favorite Corea music, but it's definitely pleasant. Kind of a Latin/chamber jazz feel. Great playing from everyone involved. Hearing Corea on marimba is pretty cool

14. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

NP: Leonid Chizhik - In Concert [Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFCD 887] CD
    [​IMG]
    Tracks 1-5 recorded in 1986; tracks 6-9 recorded in 1980. Leonid Chizhik: piano.

This disc combines tracks originally released on two albums from the USSR label, Melodiya: Möbius Strip and Reminiscences.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Probably my favorite Dave Holland album.

16. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I've been away camping for a week in Maine and was excited to see this upon my return but the YouTube sample sure doesn't sound all that good.

davidpoole likes this.
  17. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Lovely morning listen.

Paul Desmond - Easy Living

[​IMG]

Irish51, Berthold, jonwoody and 11 others like this.
  18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I have the SACD. :agree:

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I missed Volume 1.

Did that one have all the A sides?

20. [​IMG]

ELEGANT SOUL
    GENE HARRIS AND HIS THREE SOUNDS (Blue Note) UCCQ CD

Bass – Andy Simpkins / Drums – Carl Burnett / Piano – Gene Harris

Orchestra Arranged & Conducted by Producer – Monk Higgins

Recorded 1968 and reissued in Japan as part of Blue Note's Soul Jazz Works Series in 2019.

Gene Harris And His Three Sounds – Elegant Soul (2019, CD)

I wasn't sure at first what to make of this Soul/Jazz orchestrated session with it's leanings towards easy listening pop - a sound I don't hear that often nowadays, but was surprised by how much I enjoyed it all.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  21. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

Interesting discussion, in particular because your mom probably has a better understanding of musicianship than the average person. Not sure how many styles of Jazz your mom has listened to, but until I got into Jazz and listened to many of the styles, I realized that there are some I like and some I don’t. If your mom sampled many jazz styles I’m guessing she will like some...maybe more than the concert you went to.

jonwoody likes this.
  22. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BARNEY AND TETE | BARNEY WILEN QUARTET feat. TETE MONTOLIU | GRENOBLE '88 (Elemental Music) 2CD

Barney Wilen (tenor & soprano sax), Riccardo Del Fra (bass), Tete Montoliu (piano), Aaron Scott (drums)

11 tracks recorded live at the Grenoble Jazz Festival, Grenoble, France, February 12, 1988. Six of the 11 tracks were also issued on the LP edition.

A high quality DAT recording issued in 2020 on 2CDs in triple panel digipak with 24 page booklet (printed in French & English) i

A delightful double live disc, attractively packaged.

The audience clearly loved this concert, as evidenced by their hand clapping, foot stomping, and cries for more, more!

23. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I once knew a woman, also a big classical music fan, who dismissed jazz as "just an idiom" (although she was impressed by Marcus Roberts). Maybe that's a common way for classical fans to put jazz in a box that can be neatly put back on the shelf, but I don't really understand it. At least the woman I knew admitted that she had a hard time getting a handle on jazz because it can be fast and the melody/hook may be fleeting or hard to discern. Music played differently every time was a drawback to her. I advised her to listen for the bassline and rhythm. That usually works for me.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

She is real knowledgeable about classical.. She is a classical pianist and piano instructor who attended Julliard.

She liked the music better when it got more rhythmic - with Afro Cuban elements in Winard Harper's group; and more frenetic with lots of players going for it at once, almost Dixieland style, with Frank Vignola's group. Liked it less when it was taking turns soloing over slow to medium tempo changes.

ILovethebassclarinet and Noonie like this.
  25. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Disc 5

The Beehive, which is a Harold Mabern composition, is specially spectacular.

Last night:

[​IMG]