Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

Lee Morgan: Delightfulee

[​IMG]

2. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Redman Mehldau McBride Blade - RoundAgain

[​IMG]

This album is a gift, pure and simple. I never expected this group to play together again as a quartet, even less release an album, but they did, and it's got the same playful spirit as their 90s classic, Mood Swing. Deep playing, four great masters creating fantastic sounds together. Play it loud.

3. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

First spin of my Jazz Dispensary/VMP copy of Idris Muhammad's Black Rhythm Revolution! on RTI-pressed blue-swirl vinyl. Another winner from that set of releases last fall.
    [​IMG]

4. Mirror Image

NP:

Andrew Hill: Passing Ships

[​IMG]

Mark J, peter1, bluemooze and 18 others like this.
  5. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Stunningly beautiful. One of my favorite's of 2021.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Now some Billie Holiday from VMP, Lady Sings the Blues on a sky blue 33. Great album and good pressing, though the tapes sound a bit shot from this AAA pressing. Will look for a good digital copy to compliment this lp.
    [​IMG]

Irish51, bluemooze, Stu02 and 10 others like this.
  7. Mirror Image

NP:

Chet Baker: She Was Too Good To Me

[​IMG]

Irish51, bluemooze, Berthold and 4 others like this.
  8. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

I LOVE the opening track - A Night In Tunisia. If I had a friend who liked catchy, fast-paced music but wasn't familiar with jazz, I would spin this for them. I'm actually in the process of trying to convert a friend into jazz, who knows mainly the female vocalists and 'Kind of Blue'.

Mark J, Robitjazz, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  9. Noonie

I haven't listened to any of his albums as leader; I have listened to more than a handful as a sideman, he's on my winter list to take a plunge with...

10. Mirror Image

Definitely give Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage a listen. I think you’ll enjoy them or, at least, that is my hope.

11. Noonie

Man, that's one hell of a photo...

Mirror Image likes this.
  12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Plunge fast...and don't wait winter. His entire Blue Note catalog is essential. Empyrian Isles is amazing.

Mark J, Sorcerer, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  13. Noonie

WP (was playing, is that the right acronym? lol) Fats Navarro Memorial Volumes 1 & 2

This one is thanks to @Tribute ...a week ago there were some posts about Fats Navarro being over-looked...I went to a couple record stores around that time and they didn't have anything with Mr. Navarro. However, on a spontaneous excursion to a record shop not far from home a few days ago, I found these pair of records, and only C$8 each. I played each of them this morning while I was working (wasn't completely distracted, I was listening!). Anyway, yep, Fats can play the horn! I really enjoyed his playing. As a compilation--that even included some splicing of takes or something--they focused on performances where Fats was his most expressive, and that he was. Overall I enjoyed these albums and although they're been in circulation for some time, they were in great shape. A great find that wouldn't have happened without this forum :agree:

14. Noonie

NP Donald Byrd - Chant
    Blue Note LP, Reissue, Tone Poet (bla bla bla lol)

Donald Byrd – trumpet
    Pepper Adamsbaritone saxophone
    Herbie Hancock – piano
    Doug Watkinsbass
    Teddy Robinson – drums

I had listened to this several times via Tidal, and pulled the trigger the other day on the LP. Glad I did :D I really enjoy Donald's expression on the trumpet, it so often fits my mood. I don't think I've listened to an album I haven't enjoyed where Pepper Adams is on Baritone. In the liner notes (don't quote me), apparently this is one of Teddy Robinson's only appearances (on Blue Note?) and may be Herbie's first appearance; he had a great solo on one of the first two tracks. Sound quality is fantastic - family is out and I have it cranked...overall a good jazz day. Have a great night all...last album for me tonight as I'll soon be finishing the second half of Ocean's 12 with my daughter.

15. Noonie

I've seen Maiden Voyage a number of times, not sure I've seen Empyrean Isles, but will keep my eye out. After not buying any albums for some time I've opened the wallet recently and it can use some time chilling' out lol. I like to have a focus during the dark and cold days of winter, so Herbie will be much anticipated until then. Expect to see a post before the end of the year :laugh:

16. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

And if you enjoy those two albums, you can get five more from his Blue Note period in the 5 Original Albums CD series (a budget-line box of CD's in cardboard jackets).

My personal favorite period of Herbie is circa 1970-75, but if you like '70s fusion, you'll get into that sooner or later.

JakeM, Noonie, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  17. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I bought this glorious box in my teens, and have managed to buy every album in it seperately since then. And some not just once!

Herbie Hancock - The Complete Blue Note Sixties Sessions

[​IMG]

A thing of beauty.

Mook, nostromo53, Cold Trane and 17 others like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

My wife has been off since Thursday and is off til Thursday so not much stereo time for me at all.

Snuck this one in. New expensive release from Japan of an often enough bootlegged Miles Davis concert, Tokyo July 12, 1964. I must say it sounds better than ever before.

[​IMG]

19. dennis the menace

John Coltrane - The Heavyweight Champion (Rhino WPCR-17351-7)

The next session Coltrane would do was on March 26th 1959...the first rehearsal session he and the band did for Giant Steps.

The band consisting of Trane with Cedar Walton (p.), Paul Chambers (b.) and Lex Humphries (d.) recorded eight takes of the title track, six takes of Naima and nine takes of Like Sonny. It was new for Trane to be able to "practice" while recording as it was against the rules at Prestige. He'd make the best of it...better finished versions of those tracks would soon be recorded.

[​IMG]

20. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

*drools* oh, man. I need to hear this.

Lonson likes this.
  21. dennis the menace

Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961 (Columbia C6K-65833)

On April 22nd 1959, Trane and the complete Miles Davis Sextet were back in Columbia 30th Street studio to put the finishing touch to Kind Of Blue.

Bill Evans would be on piano for the whole session where they recorded Flamenco Sketches and All Blues. The amazing thing about the sessions for this album is how few takes they needed to complete it. Only Freddie Freeloader and Flamenco Sketches were not finished on one take...amazing.

[​IMG]

Mook, nostromo53, Cold Trane and 15 others like this.
  22. parman

parman Music Junkie

[​IMG]
    High Street CD, 1994
    Jazz/Rock/Funk/Soul

JakeM, bluemooze and alarickc like this.
  23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Gene Ammons: “The Gene Ammons Story”. Compilation of “Nice An’ Cool” and “The Soulful Moods of GA”. Cut by Brian Gardner, great sound from a master balladeer and cohorts. 2-LP reissue circa 1978.

24. Mirror Image

All of those Miles Columbia sets are worth their weight in gold. I own all the older issued ones with the metal spines as I’m sure that you and many others do as well.

25. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Some older (new to me) William Parker now. His The Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra's Mayor of Punkville on Aum Fidelity 2xCD. I have yet to find a flavor of Parker's music that I'm not obsessed with, let alone dislike.
    [​IMG]

SeeDubs, jay.dee, eeglug and 9 others like this.