Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

NP:

Jan Garbarek - Bobo Stenson Quartet: Witchi-Tai-To

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I remember reading once that Monk was extremely displeased with this photo as a cover, even though he participated in the photo shoot. I believe he objected to the militaristic overtones. To Monk, his music was serious, and he did not like the visual representation of his music as a joke.

You cannot believe everything that you read, but that story rang true to me.

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Every time that Bud Powell played "I Remember Clifford" was deeply profound.

Of course, this was because Bud's younger brother died in the seat next to Clifford.

There are not many photos of Richie Powell

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Disc 6. In my opinion, this is the strongest performance so far (or, at the least, my favorite), with Neophilia, Nommo, Peyote and Absolutions. They were the third and fourth sets on Saturday, July 10, 1970 and Nommo, which was the first time it was played here, is an absolute stunner; Harold Mabern’s work on Nommo makes the song. Nommo was played just one more time, on the concluding day of the gig, and I’m looking forward to hearing that.

6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

NP:

Andrew Hill: Dance With Death

[​IMG]

charlesp, J.A.W., GnuHigh and 14 others like this.
  7. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Horace Tapscott - The Dark Tree.

Good god almighty.

SeeDubs, jay.dee, charlesp and 12 others like this.
  8. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I hope that this concert, sooner or later, will be released officially as a future volume of the Bootleg Series or as The Complete Live In Tokyo. ;)

jay.dee, Lonson and frightwigwam like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Just finished my sixth open mic as a solo guitar/singer in as many weeks. I’ve become very focused in my performance. I get three songs so I pay attention to my “set” in terms of impact so it’s been a learning experience. It’s not jazz but that’s ok. I’m having a great time which is all that matters to me.

10. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

11. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

More McKusick. A quartet this time: Hal McKusick (as), Barry Galbraith (g), Milt Hinton (b), Osie Johnson (d). 6 of the 10 tunes were arranged by George Russell, elevating this above a routine blowing session.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  12. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Woody Herman: The Decca, Mars & MGM Sessions # 1

[​IMG]

peter1, alarickc, Valkenburg and 6 others like this.
  13. Berthold

Woody Herman & The First Herd: Northwest Passage

[​IMG]

peter1, alarickc, Six String and 2 others like this.
  14. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Good to see you back here Mirror, you seem to have invaded my record collection to play my favourite albums …

Mirror Image likes this.
  16. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Michael Formanek Elusion Quartet - Time Like This (CD, Intakt, 2018)

Michael Formanek (b), Tony Malaby (ts, ss), Kris Davis (p), Ches Smith (d, vb, Haitian tanbou)

A subdued and brooding set by four great musicians. Formanek is a masterful arranger who at the same time excels at giving the members of his ensemble space for rather free improvisations. Malaby alternates between carefully embedding soft-voiced saxophone tones in a chamber jazz-like ensemble sound and taking the lead with long, searching lines that call Wadada Leo Smith to mind. Davis' precise and crystalline piano is never showy but continuously engaging. Smith's drumming is subtle, varied, and occasionally replaced by melodious vibraphone playing.

On a quiet album like this, the moments that the players play a bit more loudly really hit hard, especially when Malady has his occasional slightly wild & skronky moments, such as on 'The Soul Goodbye'. Recommended!

[​IMG]

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, "Lady in Satin - Billie Holiday" with Ray Ellis and his orchestra on Columbia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Berthold

Woody Herman & His Orchestra: The V-Disc Years #2

[​IMG]

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Rooted in Jazz, soul, R&B, torch singers, piano jazz...so many dimensions to her...
    She was praised for her strong emotive vocal style and 3-octave mezzo-soprano vocal range.[3]

[​IMG]

1994 live performance includes the classics “And When I Die,” “Wedding Bell Blues,” “Stoned Soul Picnic,” and more.

[​IMG]

A member of both the Songwriters and Rock & Roll Halls of Fame, Laura Nyro not only wrote songs that became hits for acts including The 5th Dimension, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Three Dog Night, Barbra Streisand, and many more, but has been cited as a major influence by Kate Bush, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Cyndi Lauper, Todd Rundgren, Broadway composer Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Wicked), and countless others. She recorded 10 studio albums (one released posthumously), but a live performance from Nyro was always an event.

Originally issued only in Japan as Live In Japan in 2003, these 16 tracks recorded at Kintetsu Hall, plus 5 recorded at On Air West return as Trees Of The Ages: Laura Nyro Live In Japan. From Nyro-penned hits including “And When I Die,” “Wedding Bell Blues,” and “Save The Country,” to covers of Bacharach/David, Smokey Robinson, and Phil Spector classics, Trees Of The Ages is an essential document of Laura’s February 1994 historic visit to Japan. With Laura on piano and vocals, with harmonies by Diane Wilson, Dian Sorrell, Diane Garisto, the performances are sublime.

Newly remastered by Grammy®-winner Michael Graves, and produced for release by Grammy®-winner Cheryl Pawelski and George Gilbert with the approval of The Laura Nyro Trust, the packaging contains updated artwork and new liner notes from author and musician John Kruth. Looking and sounding incredible, this essential addition to Nyro’s discography is available worldwide for the first time. Trees Of The Ages: Laura Nyro Live In Japan cements the legend of the incomparable Laura Nyro.

1. CD / DIGITAL TRACK LIST:
    1. DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE
    2. OOH BABY BABY
    3. WOMAN OF THE WORLD
    4. LOUISE’S CHURCH
    5. LITE A FLAME (THE ANIMAL RIGHTS SONG)
    6. WALK THE DOG & LIGHT THE LIGHT (SONG OF THE ROAD)
    7. THE JAPANESE RESTAURANT SONG
    8. AND WHEN I DIE
    9. TO A CHILD
    10. THE DESCENT OF LUNA ROSÉ
    11. WILD WORLD
    12. SAVE THE COUNTRY
    13. WEDDING BELL BLUES
    14. TREES OF THE AGES/EMMIE
    15. WALK ON BY
    16. LET IT BE ME
    17. OH YEAH MAYBE BABY (THE HEEBIE JEEBIES)
    18. WIND
    19. BROKEN RAINBOW
    20. MY INNOCENCE/SOPHIA
    21. ART OF LOVE

21. Berthold

Woody Herman & His Orchestra: The Columbia Recordings #6

[​IMG]

peter1, alarickc, Valkenburg and 6 others like this.
  22. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I agree. Incredible album.

NP: Duke Ellington - Such Sweet Thunder

[​IMG]

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I got the ones with the metal spines when they came out. Pity they omitted the non-Coltrane tracks from Someday My Prince Will Come.

24. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I love her madly. I own Ely And The Thirteen Confession; New York Tendaberry on cd reissues; the posthumous live album entitled so evocativelly Spread Your Wings and Fly: Live at the Fillmore East (to me she could fly with that voice) and then Nested on vinyl.
    In Italy she is little known certainly much less than Carole King and Joni Mitchell two excellent singer-songwriters, mostly Joni.
    Her singing is often unconventional and unsettling and runs through different styles or even genres.
    The typical pop fan, at least here in Italy, more used listening to music according well-defined categories, hardly appreciates her.
    I know much little her discography after the Seventies, but here the radio hosts broadcast rarely her recordings.
    If I have to choose her own album, I take New York Tendaberry, though I like much the work of arranger done by Charlie Calello in the previous album.

lemonade kid and bluemooze like this.
  25. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Mike6565 likes this.