Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

'What do you "you're out of stock?" I've got a million pounds here, and you telling me that it isn't enough?'
    1860 'Phonautograph' Is Earliest Known Recording .

Tribute likes this.
  2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Horace Parlan: Us Three

[​IMG]

3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Horace Parlan: The Blue Note Sessions #5

[​IMG]

4. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Duke Pearson Wahoo! (Blue Note BST 84191)

Duke Pearson (p); Donald Byrd (t); James Spaulding (as, f); Joe Henderson (ts); Bob Cranshaw (b); Mickey Roker (d). Recorded 11-24-64.

A superb album, as much for the compositions and arrangements as for the formidable band assembled for the date.

Berthold, Stu02, vanhooserd and 8 others like this.
  5. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I have more than one Bill Evans album.

More than one obviously can mean a lot, as you know it is impossible just to own a couple of Bill Evans.

With this I just want to say that I'm familiarized with Bill Evans.

And, imo, a lot of his albums are relaxing, but NOT this one. At least to me...

I sense a lot of pain in that music. I love it but it is somehow uncomfortable.

That's one of the key factors that puts Bill on top of my preferences: it's not just beautiful music, it's a translation of feelings into music, beautifully played.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Bill Evans "Sesjun Radio Shows Vol.1" Japan cd 2021 CDSOL-46962

[​IMG]

On my system I thought this sounded a bit too bright, but when I switched the phase on my DAC to "OUT" it sounds great.

7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I find it quite possible to own only three or four Bill Evans albums. I find Bill Evans records often to be a kind of same-y experience. I like Bill Evans, but for me a little Bill Evans goes a long way.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charles Lloyd - Canto (ECM)
    Really like this group with Bono Stenson on piano.

markp, Berthold, Starwanderer and 5 others like this.
  9. Lonson

Cecil Taylor Trio And Quintet "Love For Sale" Japan cd 2021 UCCU-8254 (reissue of 24 bit master from 2011, sounds very good)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charlie Haden - Land Of The Sun (ECM)
    Essentially the Nocturne Band with another fine program of music.

11. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I can appreciate Evans' skill, and I like the trio work with LaFaro and Motian, but his music has never emotionally engaged me and I only own a few Evans albums, which I rarely listen to.

12. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Those early Cecil sides are great. Very Monk-ish.

13. Lonson

Evans fascinates me, his music evolved and changed over the years and with accompanists and I'll probably never stop buying his newly released work and listening to him. We're all different.

Tom Campbell, backeast, markp and 6 others like this.
  14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

[​IMG]

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I love that trio and I like Evans' other work. And I'm sure his playing evolved in ways that are more apparent and meaningful to fans than to me. I think that's always the way it goes with music we love vs music we don't have the same feel for, we're not as attuned to the subtleties and range in the latter that fans are. I don't think it's true that if you've heard one Bill Evans album you've heard them all, that would be and overstatement, but it is true for me that one Bill Evans album ever now and then is enough to scratch my Bill Evans itch.

Gugaz, JazzcornerND and Mark J like this.
  16. 420JJJazz666

[​IMG]
    A bit of a switch from the kind of stuff I usually play. A bit more funk than jazz methinks. This is a flea market find, first press, cost me tree fiddy.

JazzcornerND and frightwigwam like this.
  17. Lonson

"Booker Little 4 and Max Roach" Japan cd 2021 UCCU-8253

Uses the 2011 TOCJ master.

Original recording could be better, but it's hard to imagine better playing.

[​IMG]

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I can never understand the frequent posts on many threads on this forum which are dismissive of an artist's works.

Marc Myers, the author of the popular JazzWax blog, expresses my thoughts in this interview at about 3 minutes in (and for the preceding minute).

Yesternow likes this.
  19. 420JJJazz666

[​IMG]
    By no means my favorite Ra, but a good one for today.

20. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

I found an album by trombonist Jack Teagarden on YouTube. “Shades of Night” released in 1959. I’ve never listened to much of Teagarden’s work but I really loved this. So mellow I wanted to crawl under my desk at work & go to sleep. I can’t seem to find it on Cd. Are many of his late 50’s albums unreleased?

peter1, SOONERFAN and frightwigwam like this.
  21. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

frightwigwam and Starwanderer like this.
  22. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

How compressed do these 2011 masters sound?

I put together a big CD Japan order that will ship around 10 December (see below), but skipped the discs with 2011 mastering, since just a year before saw some very compressed TOCJ remasters (not RVGs btw) like Bobby Hutcherson's Total Eclipse in 2010. (Of course the 2012 masters from the BLN series were excellent again.)

[​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  23. Lonson

They are a little compressed but not dangerously so to my listening system and parameters. I prefer those I have heard to the earlier US versions I had.

EDIT to add: I have a lot going on in my system right now, a new SACD transport and new fuses in my Monoblocks. Both are improvements, and still improving, but my audio perspective and baseline are a bit changed.

Sorcerer likes this.
  24. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Thanks. Have you heard the UHQCD of Bird in LA perhaps?

25. Lonson

That's a very nice LP, I have it. The complete Capitol output was released in a cd Mosaic set, long out of print. They also did his Roulette output on another set, which takes care of most of the rest of his work as a leader in the 'fifties and early 'sixties. Verve has been pretty good with their titles. The Japanese last decade released most of the Roulette material on cd (sounding very good!) but only the gospel Capitol release I believe. I'm a Teagarden completist. I used to prefer his 'thirties and 'forties work but over time and with more education about his life I've come to really love the later work.