Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I think that is drawn by John Buscema.

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It also had an EU release (so usual caveats) as a twofer cd with Little Niles on the Jazz Beat label.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This cartoon gets it totally wrong.

In the real world, it would be a group of old men struggling with piles of records that they cannot choose, and a young clerk behind the counter ready to scream.

[​IMG]

4. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

5. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Or possibly groups of men buying tons of records and not even struggling to ever listen to them?

BTW, is that Reggie Mantle at his weekend job?

6. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

7. The music on the Atantic vinyl in my collection is still the same. I have decided long time ago not to buy second or third generation reissues at ridiculous prices. I dont think that the artists will ever see some cash but only those selling these reissue vinyls.
    Its known that the early Atlantics were not the best pressings but with a good stylus the sound is very good and thats enough for me.

BTW these scans from "original master tapes" seem questionable for me to be the source for the original Atlantics. I'm quite certain they had their own preferred brand of tape material

davidpoole, peter1 and Tribute like this.
  8. Pablo Records 2310 834 - Louie Bellson - " Matterhorn - The Drum Explosion" - rec. 1978 - Engineer: Val Valentin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

A stellar session from a 1957 version of the All Stars: Bob Cooper (ts), Frank Rosolino (tb), Conte Candoli (tp), a young Sonny Clark (p), Howard Rumsey (b) and Stan Levey (ds). In his liner notes, Howard Rumsey notes that Sonny Clark had played with them for a year and that we were likely to hear more of him in the future. Rumsey had a nose for talent.

10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

On their website, ERC claim that their Giant Steps is “Cut in True Mono directly from the original dedicated mono master tapes…”. Not sure what “dedicated” means. They also post what they say are photos of the master tape notes and master tapes.

The Electric Recording Company.

At any rate, I will probably stick with my cd version from MoFi.

11. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Streaming this now it is excellent thanks for the heads up Fischman! And coming off a bunch of Dizzy Gillespie the vibe is very similar. :cool:

Fischman likes this.
  12. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Stan Kenton Conducts The Los Angeles Neophonic Orchestra [1965]
    My first time hearing this-superb!

Robitjazz likes this.
  13. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

From last night:

[​IMG]

The Jackie McLean Quintet* With Donald Byrd And Elmo Hope – Lights Out!
    Label: Original Jazz Classics – OJC-426, Prestige – P-7035
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo
    Released: 1990
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Hard Bop

This is a great session, side of which was recorded with the "Lights Out!" so as to illicit a vibe and heighten the non-visual senses. Discovering this era of Jackie's playing is really fun. This is also one of the best examples of the worst qualities of a RVG session, or the best example of his best qualities depending on your disposition. The recording sounds like it's gotten the Lights Out treatment, too, which lends it a sort of murky, veiled quality.

NP:

The Stan Getz Quartet* – Getz At The Gate (Live At The Village Gate, Nov. 26, 1961)
    Label: Verve Records – B0029739-02
    Format:
    2 x CD, Album
    Released: Jun 14, 2019
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Cool Jazz

[​IMG]

Someone upstream recommended this one. Got it in the cd player at the moment. Probably won't be leaving the vicinity anytime soon. Described by an internet critic somewhere as "molten" form from Getz. Another really cool archival release from a year filled with good ones.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many tapes are called master tapes which are not the initial session tape.

15. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I can only go by what they say on their site.

16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

[​IMG]

This underated album features a stellar line-up and sounds sublime in wide Stereo. I also love the artwork.

Perfect for a Saturday Night Old Fashioned.

Taylor VanRoekel likes this.
  17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

A Vinyl Me Please release of the great Albert King singing Elvis Presley’s biggest hits. Good stuff.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

As I understand it a "dedicated mono" tape would mean one recorded on a mono tape deck, and not one achieved by folding a stereo tape into mono. And there should be one for "Giant Steps."

dennis the menace and Bradd like this.
  19. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Just got back from our local shop picking up the latest AS impulse! Coltrane titles; Live At The VV and Crescent. Really looking forward to giving those a spin but cleaning protocol ensues so during that dropped the needle on this fine Monk sesh. (Also parlayed the two Chet Baker Crafts I was missing, the new Enrico Rava and an Astral Spirits joint.) Unfortunately these will be the last spins on the main system as the monoblocks are getting shipped down to the factory for some tweezing while we make some other setup adjustments. But for now.....Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. AxiomAcoustics

Yahel is a great palyer, came to him with his work with Joshua Redman. Thanks for the tip on the Frisell live date:thumbsup:

Six String likes this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

My first exposure to Ware was with Cyrille and CT but I sort of did the opposite and 'backed' into his catalog with the DIW stuff being first but the Aum and Thirsty Ear stuff was always available at a shop I frequented at the time so it was easy to keep up with that last period. I really like the stuff with Morris despite being a Shipp fan. The Morris learer date "Elsewhere" is really great, essentially the DSW quartet w/Shipp, Parker and Dickey.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They are most likely telling the truth, in that the tape can be considered a master tape. But, the term "master tape" is used to apply to many tapes that are not necessarily original session tapes.

23. AxiomAcoustics

RE: Lights Out! Analogue Productions did this in Mono and it sounds like it's getting a repress at some time. I think you'd fiind it reveals a better session capture from Rudy than what this version offers.

Just to qual;ify, this Getz came out mid-2019. Killer release for sure, one of my favorite archival releases of the year.

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Was having a low key evening tonight with my wife and cats playing a mix of wife friendly jazz when I tossed on a Dylan record and then as per usual ended up playing him since…. ( not for the first time)
    NP this ….
    [​IMG]
    cause sometimes you gotta play the records that have made your life a much better place to be

SteveD., peter1, lschwart and 10 others like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Cool cats dig Dylan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stu02 and frightwigwam like this.