Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Irish51

Irish51 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Augustus Pablo - Rockers Come East

Augustus Pablo - Melodica /Synthesiser/Bass
    Christopher Meredith - Bass
    Michael Taylor - Bass
    Drums - Clive Brownie
    Drums - Squiddly
    Rockers International Band

Recorded at H.C.F. Studio/Tuff Gong/Creative Sound - 1987

2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

3 pm EST today, free.
    Charles Tolliver

"A commemorative concert celebrating the birth and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr., featuring MSU Jazz Orchestra I performing John Coltrane’s “Africa Brass,” guest conducted by Charles Tolliver. Tolliver, a celebrated trumpeter, bandleader, composer, arranger and educator who made his recording debut with saxophone giant Jackie McLean in the early 1960s."

Jazz: Spirituals, Prayer and Protest Concert at Fairchild Theatre on Jan 16, 2022 3:00 PM
    1.16.2022 | Jazz, Spirituals, Prayer and Protes on Livestream

https://www.music.msu.edu/assets/Programs/2022.01.16-(JAZ_GA)-Spirituals-Prayer-Protest.pdf

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  3. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

My sympathies for your loss

G L Tirebiter and jonwoody like this.
  4. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

That's a good one. Their version of Ornette's "Lonely Woman" has so much dark intensity and is played with such passion--really great. Might have to spin this myself today.

GnuHigh and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  5. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

My condolences for your loss.

6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

7. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington
    The Great Summit: Complete Sessions [Deluxe Edition]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiddo4, Ant G, Berthold and 11 others like this.
  8. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Take care

jonwoody likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

10. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

NP: Ran Blake - Duke Dreams [Soul Note 121027RM-2/BXS 1034] CD
    [​IMG]
    Recorded in 1981 with Ran Blake: piano.

This is from the 7-CD boxed set "The Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint & Soul Note: Ran Blake":
    [​IMG]

Six String, Stu02, GnuHigh and 6 others like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This week, for almost all of my 50 years on the air, I generally broadcast a 3 hour selection of speeches and sermons from Martin Luther King.

They were the most popular broadcasts of all of my shows.

I had a large collection of recordings given to me by King's organization, the SCLC.

His estate has successfully suppressed distribution of King's speeches and sermons. There were over 3,000 speeches and sermons recorded, comprising approximately 2,000 hours. He gave some speech almost every single day of his short career. Only about 25 are in any general circulation, and most of those have been restricted by the estate. They should all be in widespread circulation, for free.

This enlarged image is on my office wall, given to me by a black Vietnam veteran after hearing one of my broadcasts.

[​IMG]

12. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Ordered a few of these Dagger CD's from the Authentic Hendrix site -- had no idea they were still available! They're a delight, just pure imagination - - more gripping to me in a lot of ways (certainly to my jazz brain) than his more "proper" releases.

The 26 minutes guitar/drums duet that is "Keep On Groovin'" is Coltrane/Ali-level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burning Desire appears to be the only one that is unavailable -- is that one out there anywhere on CD?

Six String, Ant G, KCLizard and 2 others like this.
  13. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

My sincere condolences on the loss of your mom GL and best wishes to you recovering from Covid.

Ant G and KCLizard like this.
  14. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Down at the Riverside...

15. My condolences for your loss.
    Not being able to visit makes it all the harder.
    Glad your mom had such a long life.

Ant G likes this.
  16. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

European radio archives have yielded some very impressive jazz catalogues over the past decade:

17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When you look just one step further, you may find that the "companies" that own most of the music ever recorded are funded through difficult to trace international "private equity".

These same "fund empires" of international investors are also deeply involved in buying large portions of housing across the USA (both apartments and individual homes) and raising rents and prices substantially.

It really gives pause to any thought that buying "official issues" helps to support the artists. It may actually help to raise your neighbor's and your children's cost of living.

19. PeanutButterParty

PeanutButterParty Forum Resident

My condolences too. It's always tough to lose parents no matter how old they are. It's good you had her around for as long as you did.

jonwoody likes this.
  20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Mine was about the same age when she died, in 2013. She used to live with us but went to assisted living in 2012. I wish she could have lived with us until the end but it wasn’t possible. Nonetheless, I still feel terrible about it.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

22. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

My condolences, for the lost of your mother , mine is 94 and has cancer, so the inevitable outcome will appear one day. What is frustrating me the most , is that with Covid most hospital postponed treatment, surgery even for cancer, my mother had two tests schedule for this January and they have been postponed in May... I am just hoping she can get there without suffering.

To tell you how the situation is bad, there is mother of three at 47 and has stage 4 ovarian cancer and her surgery was postponed... So if you like your family and others please get those shots against Covid.

23. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Getting relief from the absurdities of what has been getting us into this mess at least here in Quebec.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I love the Anthony Braxton’s Arista albums like New York Fall 1974, though the original US vinyl does not sound great.
    I’m curious if the Mosaic CD was improved sonically.

25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Not sure if I saw this here or on the Auralic forum jazz thread but it's a nice easy going piano trio with some good percussion and occasional vocals.

[​IMG]

kiddo4, Six String, KCLizard and 3 others like this.