Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

There's great music in that Reece 3 cd set!

24" So far here since about midnight, and more to come expected through tomorrow afternoon. I shoveled myself into a tired achey state, nice now to be sitting in the warm living room!

2. Many LPs by all four artists remain vinyl bargains. Though Jamal Argo stereo titles are hard to find clean.
    I'm currently on the lookout for Herman's series of stereo recordings on Philips.
    The Garner and Tatum were in the $2 bin this weekend. As was this:

NP: Arnett Cobb - Sizzlin' (Prestige stereo original)

First listen, and I can see why this got the Analogue Productions 45RPM treatment, though it is one of the few titles from that series that remains in stock 16 years later.
    Cobb's tenor is rich toned and distinctive.
    [​IMG]

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The storm is hitting regions west of Québec the most...we got lucky this time. Toronto will receive more snow than Montréal for once. :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  4. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Haven't ever seen that cover, but I do have the music within in this form:
    Arnett Cobb With The Red Garland Trio - Blue And Sentimental

I see in getting that that there are other LPs and discs by him that I'm unfamiliar with, which I'll need to go back to.
    From back when he replaced Jacquet in Hampton's band forward, I'm always interested; when I first started to listen to those 2 saxophonists in the late '70s, I was kind of baffled by how unrecognized and unmentioned both seemed to be; I've long wondered what Pharoah would have to say about them.

davidpoole likes this.
  5. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Charles Mingus - East Coasting (Solid Records CDSOL-45505)

Superb.

[​IMG]

6. ILovethebassclarinet

Thanks for the info, didn't know that; at the time, buying it wasn't an option, so I didn't keep serious track, just found out at a certain point that it was unavailable.
    Even more reason for Universal to do it, I'd say; I hope/think/suspect that it would sell better than many releases. I do have the portion Verve put out in the '90s on CD, but would really like to have the rest; the Verve LPs of the '50s were way before my time (when it comes to records, that is).

NP:
    After A, with Sister Rosetta, side B, and Diz, coming right up.
    Lucky Millinder's Orch. With Sister Rosetta Tharpe – Lucky Days 1941-1945 (1980, Vinyl)
    Freddie Webster gets the first trumpet solo though on Savoy, the lead cut.
    Clyde Hart, Bill Doggett, Panama Francis, George Duvivier, Ellis Larkins & Wynonie Harris also star on this side.
    The Andy Gibson figure that was later used in Rock-A-Bye Basie and then Salt Peanuts just passed through...

dennis the menace likes this.
  7. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

8. ILovethebassclarinet

24" is one heckuva lot of snow in 10 hours or so.
    Are you familiar with scoops and sleighs for moving snow? A bit late for this occasion, obviously, but...
    One of our neighbors came by to help with one soon after we moved here; I'd never seen nor heard of them, but we got one very soon after, and they almost eliminate the need to lift altogether. Not only less strain, but much faster too. Push, and then slide the snow off; I only use a shovel to clear the porch.
    Good luck with it.

NP:
    Another I pulled out while filing.
    Clark Terry – The Night Life (Vinyl)
    Budd Johnson, Eddie Costa on piano and vibes, George Barrow, arranged by Oliver Nelson

fingerpoppin likes this.
  9. Agreed that Cobb warrants further exploration. I've heard the Milt Buckner set, and Very Saxy.
    Smooth Sailing is on my list.

NP: Laurindo Almeida - Brazilliance (World Pacific mono, rec. 1955, RP 1961)

Side note: not sure why Pure Pleasure opted for this later cover over the William Claxton photo.
    That 2009 version got the treatment from our host and Kevin Gray.
    My copy is another bargain bin find.

Hip-shaking sinuous Brazilian rhythms in this guitar showcase.
    Bud Shank's alto is different from what we'd hear from Getz on similar material.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Berthold, ultron9 and 3 others like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Soon to be Tone Poet.
    Just picked up an original mono and stereo (red vinyl) for $3 total and I'm floored. Great stuff!!

11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yup. One guy was out hand shovelling the street itself so he could get his car through. He was at it for hours.

13. Yep! I can listen to this one at any time and it remains a very favorite Coltrane in my collection if not the best he ever did IMHO

14. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

15. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I wasn’t aware of that. Never really listened to him as jazz violin doesn’t excite me.

J.A.W. likes this.
  16. I just picked up two Gerald Wilson LPs (Pacific Jazz) from the bargain bin. Looking forward to checking them out.
    Was red vinyl common on the Pacific Jazz titles?

NP: Hod O'Brien Quintet Featuring Tom Harrell And Pepper Adams – Opalessence (Criss Cross Jazz, 1985)

Another Harrell appearance, also Criss Cross, with his bright (in a good way) trumpet tone.
    [​IMG]

17. Correct there is IMO no Stuff Smith & Dizzy on Verve (probably on Pablo) but have all the 6 others on single Verve (japanese edoitions).

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A friend of mine, who owns a record/CD store here, had a used copy years ago. Listened to it once and decided against it, not really my thing.

Bradd and dennis the menace like this.
  19. ILovethebassclarinet

This is the cleanest copy of this I've encountered I think.
    Guest Star is a trip; there are 5 tracks on each side of the LP, but the label only has 4 titles on both; Discogs lists 9; I like pre-Atlantic Charles, but Fred Dunn was the reason I bought this to begin with, long ago, as I already had the RC tracks on other cheapo labels, like Premier. I don't think Dunn made a whole lot of recordings; these may even be it. If so, his complete works are available for about what they were 50 years ago, were currency now and then comparable, meaning that they're even cheaper now.

Ray Charles – Ray Charles (1964, Vinyl)

davidpoole likes this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Spun People In Sorrow today. One of my favorite albums of all time -- and a great sounding recording -- but one I don't turn to very often. It's just so emotionally intense and demands so much attention. But ever time I do pull it out, it delivers quite a ride.

[​IMG]

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm not familiar, but honestly I love the exercise. We have a snow blower that we probably should get working again. Truth to be told I never used a snow blower in my life before moving into this wonderful house my wife has had for two decades, and I really am not used to using them and don't like using them. So I use a big wide broom to "sweep" snow and shovel. I'm lucky--I just have to clear the deck, the deck stairs, my wife's car and about 20' of driveway and get her on her way most days, and then can come in and relax.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  22. NP: Ken McIntyre - Hindsight (Steeplechase 1974, Danish LP)

First listen, and now I have an Inner City version to compare w/Danish.
    Given it was recorded in Denmark, my country of origin hypothesis is that this should be closer to the source tape-wise.
    [​IMG]

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

We have someone who does it for us when it’s more than an inch. Last night it snowed 1-3 but it then rained as the temps rose so this morning it was a big slushy mess and I cleaned it off as best as I could. It’s already icing up, unfortunately.

24. Pablo Records 2310 880 - Louie Bellson Big Band " The London Gig" - rec. 1982 -Engineers: Ray Prikett & David Ford

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. VSPS - 2 Stan Getz " Eloquence" [compilation] - rec. 1954 / 1958 - Engineer (remastering): Frank Greenwald

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]