Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Listened to this great album of Jimmy Smith main soloist accompanied by a big band conducted by Lalo Schifrin, as arranger as well.
    One of the best works of the Verve period made by the popular hammondist.

The Incredible Jimmy Smith – The Cat (Vinyl)

2. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

That's Smith's best album, or at least the one I play the most by a long long margin. So much swagger!

3. NP: Mickey Tucker - Triplicity (Xanadu 1975 LP)

First listen to a pianist I'm unfamiliar with.
    This is his debut and his piano style doesn't easily compare to familiar names, which is a good thing. Perhaps it is the naturalistic way that Paul Goodman records these Xanadu dates, but it puts me in mind of classical piano, in the sense of fiery piano concertos.
    Though looking on Discogs I see familiar recordings where Tucker wasn't the leader and I just hadn't paid attention to his name.
    Leaders that had Tucker on the piano stool: Willis Jackson, Eddie Jefferson, Roland Kirk, Art Blakey, Art Farmer, James Moody, Philly Joe Jones, and Charles McPherson.
    Now I see his Wikipedia entry, that's an easier way to scan his collaborations. At 81, I wonder if he's still playing. Not seeing recordings past the 80s, maybe early 90s.

EDIT: Stumbled upon this thoughtful description of Tucker's style and favored recordings. Worth a quick read.

[​IMG]

Certainly looks 'inspired' by Blue Note deeming a Coleman set worthwhile.
    Is there a sense that the BN titles might eventually be released individually? Since I already have some, that'd be appealing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

My sense is that UMG won’t release them individually but I do expect some enterprising sellers to do that. For example, you see many owners of The Rolling Stones and Beatles Mono boxes breaking up boxes.

davidpoole likes this.
  5. NP: Margaret Christl and Ian Robb - The Barley Grain For Me (Folk Legacy 1975)

Not jazz, but thought I'd share where the afternoon took me music-wise.
    Ian Robb toured a nearby village a few years back as part of the excellent folk outfit The Finest Kind. This was his first recording, with songs from his adopted home in Canada (Robb is a Brit). Folk Legacy LPs are often in the $1 bin, which baffles me. So much beautiful folk singing, often well-recorded to enjoy. I wonder whether the black and white covers mislead folks to imagining the music won't be colorful.

The songs put me in mind of those on Game of Thrones, which is top of mind as I've been rewatching the series with my son, and benefiting from the Atmos mix (dragons swooping overhead etc). And there are a few a cappella folk songs.

[​IMG]

6. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

My Jimmy Smith faves are Root Down, Back at the Chicken Shack, The Sermon and The Cat

7. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

WP: Murat Öztürk - Dün [Laborie Jazz LJ22] FLAC
    [​IMG]
    From 2016 with I don't know who is playing on this album because I bought the digital download and it did not come with a booklet. Discogs doesn't list it. The official Laborie Records website lists Öztürk's earlier album, but not this one. Bandcamp, YouTube, Amazon, and Tidal are silent as to the musicians playing here. So, if anyone has this album in a physical format (probably CD), can you let me know who the musicians are?

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Now listening to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'd say the Mosaic Page One with its upgraded sound, but I'm biased against RVG remasters, of course :)

10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

11. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

There's only one framed record in my home: Hot Club Melomani / American Jazz Group

In the autumn of 2015 I spent a couple of months in Leipzig and this 10" was one of the records on display in the window display of a record store I passed almost daily. When it was time to leave, I decided to buy it as a souvenir for its cover only.

At that moment I was living at a place where I was not allowed to drill holes in the wall, so I made a makeshift, lightweight frame from wooden slats and paper. I got used to this frame and have kept it like that ever since.

The issue I own doesn't seem to be on Discogs: all versions listed there have another cover. The music is from the late 50s and is - as the name might have already suggested - strong rooted in swing. According to Discogs Hot Club Melomani "was a pioneer Polish jazz group." Very little seems to be known about American Jazz Group.

I still enjoy the cover of this 10" on my wall - both because I like the looks of it and because it is connected to some great months away from home.

[​IMG]

12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

You read my mind...

13. dennis the menace

Art Pepper - No Limit (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-411-2)

I needed to calm down after that insane win by the Rams....

[​IMG]

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The 1986 New Tijuana Moods CD/LP had 5 alternate takes. The 1996 New Tijuana Moods CD was remastered with "20-bit Super Mapping" and includes 4 alternate takes. As I recall, the alternates were supposed to be the "unedited" masters, but I don't know if that's exactly true. The 2001 Bluebird 2-CD adds more alternates, partial takes, and breakdowns. Plus it has the original cover and a new booklet.

15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. My other CD is the 1996 edition on RCA/ Victor. Great album in any form for my ears!

16. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Posted this is the wrong thread. Apologies to those seeing it twice.

NP: New vinyl copy of Mclean's Destination Out! - Great pressing of this classic.

I was recently thinking that I need a disc version of Mingus x5 (I have it on vinyl). Anyone have an opinion on what's better, the Japanese MQA release from 2020 or the AS Hybrid SACD? The record companies must love guys like me that want things in multiple formats!

17. dennis the menace

I have both the Japanese MQA and the AP SACD. Go for the latter, it sounds warmer and much more detailed. Of course, this is only my opinion...

18. I follow Harley's Instagram too, and those posts from Cohearent are really effective marketing to the target of me.

FWIW: I had a Van Gelder stamper stereo which I preferred over the AS SACD so that got traded. I posted the comparison description in this thread.
    I'm curious to hear the Acoustic Sounds vinyl, and the MQA CD, and crazy enough about this album to keep on going. Based on other Ryan Smith efforts, my guess is you may already have a version that's hard to beat, if that's your vinyl version. I've compared many of the MQA Impulse CDs of other titles to other versions (original, SACD, Acoustic Sounds, Speakers Corner etc). They are excellent too.

Bradd likes this.
  19. NP: Gerald Wilson - Golden Sword (Pacific Records 1966, stereo original)

Wilson gathered great west coast talent for his orchestra. I see about a dozen Pacific Jazz titles under his name.
    It puzzles me why these aren't more collected (I've gathered a few titles at $2 each). Perhaps the Tone Poet of Moment of Truth will change things for this neglected back catalog.
    [​IMG]

20. dennis the menace

Bill Evans - Everybody Still Digs Bill Evans (Craft Recordings CR-00299)

Not a fan of compilations but I really love this one. Just finished disc 1 of 5.

[​IMG]

21. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

The 2001 Bluebird, which @StarThrower62 pictures has all of the original 5 New Tijuana Moods extra tracks from 1986, plus a bunch more stuff as @frightwigwam notes. They're not really "alternative" tracks, though, because the record, as originally released, was created from composites. Each piece was performed in parts and then the best fragments (or those that Mingus decided should go here or there) were edited together. The "alternative tracks" are long-after-the-fact assemblages, following the templates of the original tracks, created from fragments that, for whatever reason, Mingus decided not to use. The original album was an extreme case of this sort of thing in jazz for the time (although composite takes were hardly unheard-of)--very much a set of montage compositions based on studio recording and editing.

My favorite Mingus recording, by the way.

L.

22. dennis the menace

Tal Farlow - The Swinging Guitar Of Tal Farlow (Verve UCCU-41007)

I saw this one popping up on this thread earlier this week and I thought it was a very good suggestion.

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

No. My wife is a designer (self-proclaimed, but I don't dispute it) and that is not part of her aesthetic, no LP covers are framed and placed on our walls. And my record shelves are not in an area that is "living space" so it would be fruitless to have such a display.

24. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That is a great record. A couple of years ago I found one at an estate sale for a couple of bucks.

25. dennis the menace

My ONLY thread on this forum. ;)