Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Glad to know you're feeling better.

Irish51, bluejimbop and Ant G like this.
  2. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

Continuing my journey through "The Complete Columbia Album Collection", I've come to album 3 "Circle In The Round". This one is a 2 cd deal. Red Garland continues his excellent work for the top tracks 1-2. I saw a credit to Bill Evans for track 2, but I couldn't determine where he comes in. My ear is not as refined as I would have hoped. Davis' solos still sound amazing and buttery smooth. Coltrane's work on tracks 1 and 2 are good, and he continues his "note blitz" style. I enjoyed the drum and trumpet hand offs on "Blues No. 2" between Davis and Philly Joe Jones.

I have to admit that when it came to the title track "Circle In The Round", it was a little difficult to follow. The interplay between the cymbals and the guitar didn't make a lot of sense to me. To me it's almost like the track is struggling to figure out what it is supposed to be. An African style jaunt? A middle eastern spiritual track? A smooth American jazz number? Maybe that is the point? I'll have to give this one some more of a listen to figure it out perhaps.

Side Car I and II were a great listen. Somewhat chaotic at times with the piano parts, but the harmony between Davis and Wayne Shorter was a delight. The guitar on II with George Benson seemed more "in the pocket" than the guitar parts with the title track. The dueling guitar/piano parts here were really fun to hear.

I really enjoyed "Splash" a ton. The phrasing Davis has on this track is absolutely superb.
    The funky electric piano played by Herby Hancock was firing on all cylinders for me. Such a fun track!

The finishing track "Guinnevere" was an interesting listen. Some really cool floaty moments here with the instruments weaving in and out of each other's space. I really liked it. It feels like one of those vibe pieces that put you in a specific "exotic instrument chill" mood.

[​IMG]

hyntsonsvmse, KCLizard, Ant G and 7 others like this.
  3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Listening again this afternoon to two albums from the first half of 2022 that have really knocked me out -- Mary Halvorson's Belladonna and Chad Fowler and Matthew Shipp's improvise duo album Old Stories. Both are great. The latter dazzles me -- two guys just going, playing free and swinging both and bringing to their improvisations such a rich spirit and sound of jazz history, it's something; they go from free to walking-bass toe tapping swing and play all of it with totally absrobing dynamics and flow and lyricism. Fowler -- sometimes he's crooning like Johnny Hodges, sometimes he's screeching like Gato Barbieri with Don Cherry; playing strich and saxello! And Shipp's bass clusters always are just so full and rich and enveloping, always so seductive to me. It took me a long time to fall in love with Matthew Shipp's playing, but now I've fallen hard.

This week I've also been listening to Shipp's circa 2000 quartet album Pastoral Composure -- he's got a little flavor of everything on that one: hard bop swinging, free rubato playing, Ellington's "Prelude to a Kiss" and a free jazz romp on "Freres Jacques"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Ray Cole, KCLizard and 13 others like this.
  4. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Hamiet Bluiett / Larry Willis - If Trees Could Talk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Get well soon. ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    bluejimbop and Six String like this.
  6. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I ignored the existence of this meeting. Bluiett was more avant-garde oriented. Willis had an eclectic career, even BS&T member in the mid Seventies. Pretty intriguing to me.

7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    2007 Thrill Jockey

Rob Mazurek - Composer, Director, and Cornet
    Also featuring Nicole Mitchell, Jeb Bishop, Jeff Parker, Jason Adasiewicz, among others.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, first listen to new arrival "John Coltrane - My Favorite Things" mono on Atlantic.

Rhino reissue remastered by Kevin Gray.

Still on Side 1 - sounds great so far.

[​IMG]

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, first listen to new arrival, record 1 from "Round Trip: Ornette Coleman On Blue Note."

Blue Note Tone Poet Series reissue remastered by Kevin Gray.

"The Ornette Coleman Trio at the "Golden Circle" Stockholm - Volume One"

"Faces and Places"
    "European Echoes"
    "Dee Dee"
    "Dawn"

Ornette Coleman — alto saxophone, violin, trumpet
    David Izenzon — double bass
    Charles Moffett — drums

[​IMG]

10. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Streaming on Bluetooth speaker while we do yard work
    [​IMG]

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, first listen to new arrival, record 2 from "Round Trip: Ornette Coleman On Blue Note."

Blue Note Tone Poet Series reissue remastered by Kevin Gray.

"The Ornette Coleman Trio at the "Golden Circle" Stockholm - Volume Two"

"Snowflakes and Sunshine"
    "Morning Song"
    "The Riddle"
    "Antiques"

Ornette Coleman — alto saxophone, violin, trumpet
    David Izenzon — double bass
    Charles Moffett — drums

[​IMG]

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Willis made a couple of nice albums for the Audioquest label too.

Robitjazz likes this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thats a supurb compilation. I dont have it as i have most of the stuff on it but I stream it often. Such a great programming of the tunes

JazzcornerND likes this.
  14. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

NP: Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

Love this accessible debut from '62. Hard to believe it was recorded in a day.
    I didn't plan this but it was 60 years ago today!

Recorded May 28, 1962

[​IMG]

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Only just coming to this post - I know it’s old. I’ve never heard a satisfactory OG stereo version. It’s weirdly dead and flat, and literally requires a heavy hand on tone controls or EQ to come to life. The mono pounds the stereo into the ground.

eeglug likes this.
  16. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Great albums. I don’t think the Coleman '60s trio often gets the attention it deserves, probably because there are relatively few official recordings. But these albums do, and deservedly so.

Robitjazz, bluemooze and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  18. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Received my copy yesterday night my discs are free of warps lp sleeve is a little flimsy but for the deep discount i got not a big deal. I played the mono disc and it sounds simply fantastic. Mr. Gray is one the top five mastering engineers in the world. His mastering work on other Jazz titles is great the man has a good ear.

What surprises me about this release is Rhino has not advertised this as an all analog release,I wonder why that is.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Beyond The Blue Horizon . I picked this little beauty up in our favourite jazz haunt in Glasgow, decades ago. In the era of CD, this place was wall to wall jazz vinyl. Used and New. The used were usually 1st pressings and an excellent price. They were the days.
    Benson is outstanding on this album having fun with his runs. Not many have fun with the runs!!
    The record store is gone (along with so many other things)but not forgotten. At least I still have the blue horizon.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Miles was very cruel to Benson during the sessions. He actually made him read from music. Benson was humiliated, which was what Miles intended.
    Benson was the new kid on the block and posed a significant threat to Miles eminence. Consequently, Miles had to teach Benson a lesson and put him firmly in his place. He certainly did that. I find the whole Miles and Benson story to be appalling. Benson comes across particularly badly on the album. Thats what Miles wanted. Status quo restored.
    I don't think Benson ever quite recovered from the mauling of Miles.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    bluemooze likes this.
  21. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Ahmad Jamal Trio: At The Alhambra

[​IMG]

22. Berthold

Ahmad Jamal Trio: Chamber Music

[​IMG]

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

New music for me and I enjoyed listening to it very much.

Robitjazz likes this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That band was special. David Izenzon was an incredible bass player who expanded the instrument's vocabulary in jazz, Charles Moffett could swing hard but was also playing all this color and adding little instruments, Ornette was still writing these great indelible tunes and was still pushing out again, taking up trumpet and violin precisely because he didn't have training on the instruments to constrain the way he played them. Really, that trio in the end served more as the model for how a lot of "new thing" jazz got played by succeeding generations than Coleman's '50s quartet did.

25. Berthold

Ahmad Jamal: The OKeh & Epic Recordings

[​IMG]