Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

2. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Comparing different sources, this is from an earlier torrent before the official release of the first track:

Miles Davis Quartet
    April 9, 1960
    Kurhaus, Scheveningen, The Netherlands
    VARA Radio Broadcast
    Re-broadcast, NPS Radio 4 on November 10, 2005
    1cdr, fm, 46:58

Miles Davis (tp); John Coltrane (ts); Wynton Kelly (p); Paul Chambers (b); Jimmy Cobb (d)

1 radio program introduction 0:31
    2 So What 17:18
    3 On Green Dolphin Street 12:36
    4 'Round Midnight 5:56
    5 Walkin' 9:26
    6 The Theme 0:46
    7 radio program epilog 0:21

Digital Audio Edits (05.09.1960c):
    - de-crackled entire recording
    - removed/repaired several mimor dropouts
    - balanced channels (left +0.6 dB) to centre stereo image
    - reduced gain of announcer (tracks 1 and 7) by 4dB
    - boosted gain of track 5 bass solo by 2dB
    - added digital silence lead-in (4s) and lead-out
    - quantized track markers for CD audio
    - no noise reduction, nor frequency equalization

jay.dee, bluemooze, paddrino and 2 others like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ramsey Lewis Trio At The Bohemian Caverns (Argo) dark blue stereo label.
    No gimmicky themes here, just straight ahead playing.

Mike6565, bluemooze, Tony A. and 3 others like this.
  4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I'll be damned... Mirror Image... Long time no see.
    I was reading the posts and seeing the avatar but didn't notice the name.

Kicked that "classical" stuff out of your system for good?

Glad you're back. Good luck with the Miles thread. I've said it before, I will never forget the Miles Davis Album by album thread.

Maybe I'll resurrect the Bill Evans thread too... You used to like him

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charles Lloyd Qt - Montreux 82 (Musician)
    W/Michel Petrucciani, Palle Danielsson and Son Ship Theus.

Mike6565, bluemooze, Tony A. and 3 others like this.
  6. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

Back to our Witherspoon, Ben Webster conversation.

Another great sideman session with Webster augmenting Witherspoon's bluesy vocals. Recommended.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  7. Mirror Image

NP:

Helen Merrill: The Complete Helen Merrill on Mercury (Disc 1)

[​IMG]

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Returning to Tania Maria, "Bluesilian" cd. I can't help but smile at her verve and groove and her excellent pianism.

[​IMG]

Mike6565, bluemooze and Six String like this.
  9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Miles Davis Quintet
    November 3, 1969
    Salle Pleyel, Paris, France.

First set is great quality video and audio. The second set is a little rougher video with several brief dropouts. IMHO, this does not diminish the viewability of this rare performance.

Second set also includes Jack on Piano and Chic playing some drums and double drums as well. I have not seen another video of this rare phenomenon. Unfortunately the mics don't appear to be dialed in.

This is my final boot liberated from same South American reseller. Set lists are from entree. No menus or chapters; just the complete performance straight through.

DISC 1
    Duration: 1:05:39
    Data Size: 4.29 GB
    Bit Rate: 9.37 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    224 MPEG-2, 720 × 576, 4:3, 25 fps, 9.00 Mbps, upper field first

Audio Tracks:
    192 MP2 stereo, 48 kHz, 224 kbps

Directions
    Bitches Brew
    Paraphernalia
    Riot
    I Fall In Love Too Easily
    Sanctuary
    Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
    The Theme

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DISC 2
    Duration: 1:01:18
    Data Size: 4.10 GB
    Bit Rate: 9.58 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    224 MPEG-2, 720 × 576, 4:3, 25 fps, 9.20 Mbps, upper field first

Audio Tracks:
    192 MP2 stereo, 48 kHz, 224 kbps

Bitches Brew
    Agitation
    I Fall In Love Too Easily
    Sanctuary
    Masqualero
    It's About That Time

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jay.dee, Mike6565, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Craft certainly is doing an excellent job with their recent jazz releases this year. The one issue that you have to cross your fingers on though is getting noise free copies. Fortunately I have been lucky. Some of my favorites from this year from them have been the RSD mono of Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section, with mono being the best way to experience this one (at least for me), but heard the stereo version sounds good as well.

Also picked up The Poll Winners and not much else to say that hasn't already been said about that great record. One of my biggest surprises this year has been the Hampton Hawes "Four!" which also features Barney Kessel. A fantastic album that is a must have, at least for my collection.

And coming in December from Craft, we get Benny Carter's "Jazz Giant" and another appearance from Mr. Kessel. I am so looking forward to getting it, and if you have not heard it, well worth checking out. I mentioned this on the Contemporary thread but I first got into Barney Kessel from an interview I read with Pete Townshend back in the 70's where he said how much he liked his playing.

11. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

Larry Coryell - Lady Coryell
    [​IMG]

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Grateful Dead "Get Shown the Light" May 3, 1977 disc 3
    [​IMG]

13. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

For those who like to collect shiny CD's, The Complete 1960 Holland Concerts (3-CD, notes booklet, clam shell case) is still available on Amazon. It would be nice if Sony would issue another set to cover the back end of that tour, but I'm not holding my breath.

[​IMG]

14. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

I Really like "Larry Coryell" Nice Play :righton:......You might want to check out "Scott Henderson" his album
    'Tore Down House" is excellent !!!
    Also his band "Tribal Tech" is very good too!!!

pig bodine likes this.
  15. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Joe Harley before i knew of him ...

I snagged this at a record fair for £8 (US$ 10) it was one of only 10 jazz albums at the fair with hundreds and hundreds of Metal, Thrash and POP albums ... i know i know its not Joe Harley bare with me

[​IMG]

and along with the Brubeck and Desmond inside the album was

[​IMG]

Serial number sticker on the back of jacket.
    Includes a liner note booklet in the jacket.
    Direct-to-Disc LP 45RPM

I couldn't believe my luck when got home and discovered it wrapped between 2 cardboard sheets which i had took to be a stiffener while at the fair and i'm blown away the Brubeck is probably VG but the Bill Cunliffe both discs are near mint and plays really well and such a "live in the room" sound this is right up there in sound quality with the TPs ... so i hope its ok in the void of TPs to share such a surprise , i must say that Joe Harley clearly has been a superstar for a long time and i came to know of him thanks to this forum perhaps 2 1/2 years ago

If others know about this album please feel free to reply with your thoughts

Mike6565, bluemooze, Berthold and 3 others like this.
  16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Those boots are likely from questionable sources, very old broadcasts that have been in circulation for ages. The FLACs from Scheveningen 1960 I was listening to are from the most recent rebroadcast in 2005.

There is a lot of stuff from 1960, 1967, and 1969 that was recently rebroadcast that could be officially released in a Bootleg Series volume if Sony wanted to. Including Rotterdam 1967 & 1969.

jay.dee likes this.
  17. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I wish this album had more tracks with the Kid and the Brute, those are so exciting the others without Webster are a letdown, even though they are great on their own.

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I have a CD-R of Scheveningen from a Miles tape tree in the '90s, four versions from a certain lossless torrent archival project, and this CD set on the Green Corner label. I've never taken the time to compare them all, but just now I listened to the first track from the Amsterdam midnight show in the Green Corner set, and I'm currently playing the Scheveningen show in the box, and both are clear, very good recordings to my ear. I would guess that they're probably derived from rebroadcasts, maybe even copied from a FLAC torrent that's been fixed up (I'm not hearing any crackles, for instance). The historical notes by Matias Rinar are well done, too.

I'm not telling anybody what to do. Just that if someone is interested in having the April 1960 shows from the Netherlands, plus the October 15 show with Sonny Stitt, and a few numbers by the group without Miles from Dusseldorf in March (Stan Getz guests on "Moonlight in Vermont"), then there is a good CD set of the full performances available.

There is indeed a lot of broadcast material from those years, and more, that Sony could release in the Bootleg Series. I just question their commitment to the program. It could be another decade before they revisit the Spring 1960 tour, if they even get back to it, ever. Fortunately, we have some good alternatives in the meantime. The April 8 Zurich show, available in the Swiss Radio Days CD series, or on torrents and blogs if you prefer, is another favorite.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Mike6565, Staxus and 8 others like this.
  19. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

I had to return the Poll Winners due to Warp, hope the new copy is clean. My Art Pepper was perfect, this copy of the Bill Evans was solid. I'll keep an eye out for Four! and Kessell, thanks!

20. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I think on Dimeadozen the Swiss Radio Days CD is considered an official release. So that show is no longer allowed on the tracker. I own all official European releases from the 1960 tours like Sweden (Dragon), Paris (Frema) and Zurich.

The 1960 shows with Trane and Stitt from Amsterdam's Concertgebouw (in April a couple of hours after the Scheveningen gig) you posted have also been officially released by the Dutch Jazz Archive in 2012.:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Miles Davis - So What (The Complete 1960 Amsterdam Concerts)
    So What - Jazz at the Concertgebouw - Jazz Messengers

21. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

more Webster the great sideman

Irish51, Mike6565, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I bought this decades ago and have found it kick started my love of jazz vocals. Epic compilation IMHO

Lonson likes this.
  23. Have recorded that version on my harddisc and produced me my own CD + coverart.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Mike6565, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  24. Mirror Image

NP:

Count Basie & His Orchestra: Chairman of the Board

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ellington, Basie, Kenton and Gil Evans are my big band leaders. For me, it doesn't get any better. I also like Slide Hampton and Maria Schneider a lot as well.

Mike6565, Staxus, Jcashfan and 7 others like this.
  25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I'm very interested into the live recordings in Zurich by Miles Davis Quintet. There's a spectacular version of So What. Coltrane plays a monumental solo.

Mike6565 likes this.