Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

Yeah. looking around I see the only label to include the extra track is Wounded Bird.

Anyway, the first time I ever heard of Passport was when I got stationed in Germany in 1981. I was living off base in a town called Zorn, and a local store have food store their first six studio releases. The old lady who ran the store shared that she knew some of the members and that I should give them a listen. I did and have been a fan since. BTW, just finished listening to their Balance of Happiness CD (1990), which was refreshing as it harkens back to their earlier (70's) jazz roots.

Robitjazz likes this.
  2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Paul Motian Quintet - Jack Of Clubs (Soul Note 121124-2)

Recorded in March 1984. I really love this album, specially the double tenor tandem of Joe Lovano and Jim Pepper.

[​IMG]

Tony A., bluemooze, GnuHigh and 9 others like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In March 1980, exactly 6 months, to the very day, before his death, I stood by as Bill Evans had a very warm conversation with Collin Walcott and Ralph Towner of "Oregon". There was a lot of laughter and smiles all around, but I did not interject myself in the conversation.

Bill was in a great mood.

It took place on stage left in this theater after the audience had left.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, jcarter, Berthold and 5 others like this.
  4. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

np Tone Poet Mono
    [​IMG]

Irish51, Staxus, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But NOT a Picture of HEALTH.

danasgoodstuff and Dan Steele like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jessica Williams - Synth jazz from ‘97.
    Recordings she gave me where everything was synth produced except for the piano. She was incredibly talented at programming synths, both drums and Melody instruments. I loved her work in this area though most fans shunned it. (That’s not jazz!). Oh yes it is I would counter. Her ideas, solos were still pure Jessica, just not acoustic instruments. I have a lot of these recordings on cassette and cd. Really fun listening.

7. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

The sad curse of musicians and H unfortunately. I'm sure you witnessed much of this in your marvelous travels. Joe Albany was another of course if you have ever seen the movie Low Down co produced by his daughter Amy and Flea.

8. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Old favorite. :righton: I'm a big fan of Flora and Airto. She is also featured on the George Duke albums I'm listening to lately.

Lonson and frightwigwam like this.
  9. ganma

ganma Senior Member

This is good information to know. The Japanese Paper editons still turn up regularly here in Japan. I've had my eye on Ataraxia for a while now since I saw it in a CD shop, though the paper sleeve looked a bit worn, so I might wait for a better looking one.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And, very sadly, in my own extended family and friends.

SonOFJames likes this.
  11. ganma

ganma Senior Member

George Duke – My Soul - The Complete MPS Fusion Recordings
    MPS Records – 06025 1751504
    NP: I Love The Blues, She Heard My Cry
    [​IMG]

12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP The Lost Trio - Monkwork (Evender)
    As the title suggests, a tribute or program of Monk’s music by a very good SF Bay Area trio. The sound is very good on this disc.
    The Lost Trio

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    bluemooze likes this.
  14. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

I'd love to have all Japanese paper sleeves as well, but that's a chase I'm not willing to fund. That said, I'd love to have a paper sleeve editing of Looking Thru, but I'm not willing to pay $40 dollars for it.

BTW, if you're a Passport Fan you should find these two boxsets - Passport - Original Album Series, and Passport - Original Album Series Vol. 2. Ataraxia can be had from volume 2.

ganma and Robitjazz like this.
  15. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

I bought Oregon's "45th Parallel" (1989) CD) shortly after release as a "take a chance" but never took a liking to it, and thus never listened to it again. That said reading your post I might revisit it again.

Dan Steele and Fischman like this.
  16. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I’ve been spending a lot of time lately in the ECM catalog, latest is from Jan Garbarek/Bobo Stenson Quartet: “Dansere”. Mastered by the legendary Jan Erik Kongshaug - the Roy DuNann of his time. Masterful. 44.1/16 per Tidal sound is spot on.

17. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    John Coltrane A Love Supreme (Impulse!, UCCU-40003), 2013 Japanese Platinum SHM-CD with "HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from original master in 2013." Unsurpassed sonically in the digital domain imo.

Recorded exactly 58 years ago today on 9 December, 1964. A nice album to share your birthday with, so I will be spinning this reissue later this morning, cake or no cake.

18. Appears also with this cover (World PacificPJ-1234)

[​IMG]

SonOFJames, Staxus, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  19. "Fuego" isnt bad either!

jhg0626 likes this.
  20. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers -- Bu's Delight
    [​IMG]
    CD Ripped to FLAC

21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Ava Mendoza New Spells (Relative Pitch)

22. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    Sam Rivers - Streams

23. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Heading up to our cabin today after the morning dog-walking then a rowing session followed by sweating in the sauna. Right now listening to a smoking live set by the early 60's transitional band..........

[​IMG]

Label: Columbia – CK 93583, Legacy – CK 93583
    Format: CD,

Tracklist
    1 Introduction By Andre Francis 0:46
    2 Autumn Leaves Written-By – J. Prevert*, J. Mercer*, J. Kozma*
    13:52
    3 Milestones Written-By – M. Davis*
    9:17
    4 I Thought About You Written-By – J. Van Heusen*, J. Mercer*
    11:44
    5 Joshua Written-By – V. Feldman*
    11:27
    6 All Of You Written-By – C. Porter*
    16:49
    7 Walkin' Written-By – R. Carpenter*
    16:15

• Credits

jay.dee, bluemooze, paddrino and 12 others like this.
  24. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

Charlie Mingus -- Tijuana Moods
    [​IMG]

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

The recordings Ornette did in 59-61 contained many out takes later released on individual albums like this or assembled on the box set Beauty.
    I have found First Take on Twins to be my way into the later Free Jazz lp. The 17 min first take ( literally) being more digestible for my brain then the full 37 min full lp version, at least for now. Aside from Colemans Free Jazz LP, i pretty much love everything on this entire series of sessions. I still find it hard to fathom how so much music by so few people over such a short window of time could be made. [​IMG]
    First Take and the full on Free Jazz LP session were both recorded on the same day- December 21 , 1960. Eric Dolphy who appears on both , then proceeded ALSO to record the music that would show up on his own LP Far Cry . On the same day.

I have always loved the cross fertilization of Coleman and Dolphys sound. (Some credit Coleman with being the influence on Dolphy. I tend in general to not believe in absolute purity of genius in the individual and have room in my beliefs for collective creativity however asymmetric it may be )

At any rate whatever Dolphy and Coleman were doing in this time - it really works for me.

jay.dee, j4yheindeo, Staxus and 14 others like this.