Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Introducing Carl Perkins (Boplicity) cd
    I would love to have an OG lp but they are pretty rare these days so the cd will have to do.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Monk has that power doesn't he, it's like he has a doorway to an alternate way to experience music and when you cross the threshold it resets your mood sometimes. I love his music so much.

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Murray/Dickie/Adriano - HOMEWORK (No Business Records NBCD-116)

Recorded in Philadelphia May 30th 1994 as a Trio comprised of Sunny Murray on drums, Bob Dickie on bass and Robert Adriano on guitar. Intense and free. Enjoyable listening.

[​IMG]

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

John Coltrane, Frank Wess, Paul Quinichette - Wheelin' And Dealin'
    1991 remaster

[​IMG]

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Do you like the albums he did for BN?

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I finally decided to replace my copy of Thelonious Monk: Straight No Chaser and watched it for the first time in years yesterday. The footage they had of Monk, not just performing but in unguarded moments in the studio, backstage, and on tour is extraordinary. Kelley's biography is definitive and essential but it can't do what this film does. A companion piece of equal and different value.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. Lonson

"Those pants are a m*&^$#^&*(@!" That whole sequence cracks me up. And many others. I like what I have been able to hear of that tour as well.

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Yes, on the bus with Johnny Griffin. And how about to Teo 'You're a saxophonist, you oughta' know that'.

9. Lonson

What a guy. I can only imagine his interactions with his children when they were young. And God Bless NELLIE! (I tried calling my late first wife Helen "Nellie". . . once.) ;)

10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I assume everyone knows that his manager Harry Colomby was the older brother of drummer Bobby Colomby from BS&T. Yes, without Nellie it wouldn't have happened.

ILovethebassclarinet and Lonson like this.
  11. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I agree that Excel would have been better but at work I never used it too much band by the time I considered using it, I probably had 1,000 or so CDs on my Word doc and didn’t want to start over.

Dan Steele likes this.
  12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

On the Timeless label, this is a wonderful session with Horace Parlan. Archie Shepp sings on a few of the selections. The session includes a few bop standards such as Hot House but my favorite was his interpretation of a spiritual Go Down Moses (Let My People Go), which is terrific.

My thanks to Lon for sending me this cd.

13. Lonson

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I had two copies and thought . . .I'm sure he's going to like it. . .well . . . maybe. . . surely he'll like it. ;)

I love that Ellington ballad "I Didn't Know About You." And there are many good versions.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

John Coltrane - Black Pearls
    1991 remaster

[​IMG]

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    music to fill a void, Mode Records MOD LP-124. Fagerquist & Ed Leddy (trumpets), Bob Enevoldsen (valve trombone), Vince DeRosa (French horn), Herb Geller (alto sax), Ronnie Lang (baritone sax), Marty Paich (piano), Buddy Clark (bass) & Mel Lewis (drums). Standards arranged by Paich, with no solos by Leddy & DeRosa. Recorded 9/14/57, Radio Recorders, Hollywood. Engineer: Dayton "Bones" Howe. The back cover & label have the title as EIGHT BY EIGHT. My copy is a 1987 V.S.O.P. CD reissue in good-sounding stereo. Discogs says it was issued by Mode in 1957 in what must have been mono; I don't know if they ever released a stereo version. I got my sealed copy recently for 99 cents. Cover by Bill Box.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Interestingly enough I did another search and it showed as available on CD from Walmart for $17.95. I placed my order yesterday and I am supposed to receive it February 7th.

Teraphoto and Dan Steele like this.
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Looks interesting. It just started playing on Qobuz...

almost unison likes this.
  18. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

One of Charlotte Zwerin's primary sources of footage, the 1968 documentary by Michael Blackwoood and Christian Blackwood, Monk/Monk In Europe (two parts), is now available for streaming and purchase, as well. If you can use Kanopy through your library or university, you can watch for free.

Thelonious Monk Documentary Film & Interview | MBP

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Last one tonight...

John Coltrane - Coltrane (Impulse!)
    2001 remaster

[​IMG]

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Tonight's listening -- Wayne Shorter - Beyond the Sound Barrier. What an exciting, dynamic thrill ride it always is listening to this band! Phew. And they sound like they're having so much fun too.

[​IMG]

22. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Jack DeJohnette - Pictures

[​IMG]

This is one for the hardcore DeJohnette fans. Thankfully, I am one.

23. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Sounds like a challenge!

Dan Steele and GnuHigh like this.
  24. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I started keeping track of my music collection in database software in the early '90s. Over the years I've put it the data into different programs. Currently using Excel and can sort by artist, Album title, genre, record label, year recorded. I used the spreadsheet for insurance reasons, and because once in a while I forget which ones I have. I Always check my database to see if I already have a CD before ordering it.

25. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident