Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"Leon Thomas in Berlin" (with Oliver Nelson) Flying Dutchman cd

[​IMG]

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

The first solo recording of CT that really shook people up when it came out was Silent Tongues on Arista/Freedom. The two volume Garden on Hat Hut is monumental. For Olim is also excellent. I've finally gotten around to Robert Farris Thompson's Flash of the Spirit and learned the meaning of quite a few of CT's titles that I never did before.

3. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Chico Freeman - Kings Of Mali
    Chico Freeman- tenor & soprano sax, flute, alto flute, African Bailophone;
    Cecil McBee- bass; Anthony Davis- piano;
    Famoudou Don Moye- drums, percussion, gongs, whistles & African Bailophone.

[​IMG]

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I saw Bowie's Brass Fantasy play in Atlanta in the 80s. It was quite entertaining.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A recent purchase for only 75 cents. Not outstanding, but enjoyable. Hamp sings on a couple of cuts and plays piano on one. Recorded 10/28-29/64, Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Producer: Bob Thiele. 1994 CD producer: Michael Cuscuna. Remastered by Paul Elmore at MCA Music Media Studios. Photo by Chuck Stewart. There's a $6 price sticker on the back from Bagatelle Records in Long Beach, CA.

JazzcornerND, Berthold, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Fine singing, accompanied by Illinois Jacquet (ts), Kenny Burrell or Jim Hall (g), Milt Hinton (b) & Elvin Jones (d). Recorded 10/9 & 17.63, Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Producer: Bob Thiele. Music coordinator: Bob Hammer. 1995 CD reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna. Remastered by Erick Labson at MCA Media Studios.

Kiss73, Irish51, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  7. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Lester actually played on "Rescue Me" along with guitarist Pete Cosey, and Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire on drums!

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

On this board people were discussing Miles Davis "Agharta" so I played the first half of the Sony Blu-Spec CD2 version.
    [​IMG]

And then for some reason I saw the Grateful Dead "Wake of the Flood" cd on the shelf and put that one on, it's been a long time. (The HDCD remastered version). I can still remember marveling at the original LP I bought when it came out--that was the thickest vinyl I'd ever purchased! This is one of my favorite Dead, and rock, albums.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    paddrino, KCLizard, ganma and 12 others like this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

10. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Having um and arr'd for quite a while and viewed a few 'original' and earlier LP's of this album I decided to spend a few pounds of my hard earned income and buy this latest album, I would normally look for a good used copy and be happy with a good find but there was just not one readily available, so I bought brand new a re-mastered etc and coming from Analogue Productions and i'm so glad that I did, it is so good that I sat through it twice to listen to it yesterday it is a stunning sound...

[​IMG]

11. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Gator is in terrific form on this tenor organ combo record from Muse. Charles Earland is on the organ (and he really drives it), Pat Martino on guitar, Buddy Caldwell on congas and Idris Muhammad on drums.

12. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

I just got my copy in yesterday (Blu-Spec 2 CD). Anyway, love it, especially Interlude / Theme from Jack Johnson. Also have Pangaea.

KCLizard, PADYBU and frightwigwam like this.
  13. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

We had no funk,
    only Mingus or Monk
    to pass the weary time of day.
    And we would get so high from feeling low,
    that everybody used to say.
    We were so cool …

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Miles Davis In Person at the BlackHawk arrived today and I enjoyed Friday night disc while catching up on some work this afternoon. Looking forward to Saturday night disc!

KCLizard, Stu02, Sorcerer and 6 others like this.
  15. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Yeah, but the inner sleeve was el cheapo. I remember writing the new company (Grateful Dead Records) complaining and asking them to at least equal the new George Harrison LP Living in the Material World.

16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

17. For Olim is well-worth revisiting.

Ah. That's helpful. So the Now Again titles on Amazon and their own site include some that are AAA (same Grundman mastering). Excellent. $30 is more reasonable.

Is there a thread comparing the Ray Staff to Grundman masters to originals? Looking at the dedicated VMP, and Tribe threads, not seeing a mention.

How was their playing?

The Billy Bean guitar record sounded fine in stereo. Sometimes those Riverside albums can be well-served by mono.

Thank you! I have a copy of Silent Tongues, and have added Garden to the want list.
    And your mention of Flash of the Spirit...great topic. 1984 would miss more contemporary references, but I suspect there was already a lot to cover about Afro-American cultural references. Would you recommend it?

[​IMG]

18. NP: Sheila Jordan, Harvie Schwartz Duo - Old Time Feeling (PAJ 1983 US LP)

I've yet to acquire the Blue Note LP, but did find this vocal-bass duo recording that I'm digging.

[​IMG]

ganma, Irish51, almost unison and 5 others like this.
  19. ATR

ATR Senior Member

The book doesn't mention many uses of the imagery and terminology post 1970 or so, and very few that appear in titles of compositions or names of groups or musicians. It establishes the terms and their origins in African cultures and their first appearances in the Americas and Caribbean. You make the connections yourself to music you're already familiar with. It is a foundational work and not particularly abstruse or academic. The only weakness is the quality of photographic reproduction in my paperback edition makes it hard to see some details that he mentions in the text. It's more a book about underlying religious and spiritual concepts of art and visual representation than it is about music. There's very little about musical forms that have persisted and been incorporated in contemporary Blues, Jazz, etc. Granted I have about a third remaining to read.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  20. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Anthony Braxton Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 (hat ART)

22. ILovethebassclarinet

Fine; Harrison especially was sounding good, as he has on some of the recordings he's made since the '90s too. I've only heard one more recent Ranelin recording which didn't do so much for me, but that might have been due to production rather than ability.

23. Xanada 151 - Warne Marsh " Live In Hollywood" - rec. 1951 - Engineer (remastering): Paul Goodman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Tony A., bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    Andrew Hill - Blue Black

25. ILovethebassclarinet

Now that's a Hill recording that I knew nothing about...