Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

paddrino likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm now listening to the 2022 reissue of Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, and it's still hard L/R... The horns in one channel, the bass and drums in the other, unnatural and very unpleasant.

[​IMG]

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    2009 Fresh Sound CD reissue of two Storyville LPs. On Tonite's Music Today: Sims (ts & vocal), Brookmeyer (valve tb), Hank Jones (p & celeste), Wyatt Ruther (b) & Gus Johnson (d). Recorded 1/31/56, NYC. On Whoeee: Sims (ts), Brookmeyer (valve tp), Jones (p), Bill Crow (b) & Jo Jones (d). Recorded 2/8/56/NYC. Producer: George Wein. This Storyville label was founded by Wein and named after his night club in Boston. (And of course the famed Storyville neighborhood in New Orleans.)

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Correct. For whatever reason, that one is hard L/R and still is no matter what. This one below however sounds great in terms of the stereo, like most of the other Candids on other artist from the period do:

[​IMG]

Why one title from the same sessions is inherently hard L/R, I don't know, but that seems to persist even after the remaster. Obviously whatever tapes remain are the tapes that remain.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  5. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Just bought this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above album, will complete my Box Set 50th anniversary.

[​IMG]

Hania Rani - On Giacometti, this is a pre-order album will be release on February 17th, all the $ goes to Mrs. Rani and her record company.

I personally, think, that you should hear the 2 previews.

On Giacometti, by Hania Rani

Looking forward to hear all these albums.

6. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Knights

[​IMG]

7. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

If you like Constellation you will probably like Tune Up, one of his best. Sonny made so many recordings he forgot a few.

8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I am just glad the excellent Japanese mono Candid remasters from 2020/2021 included all of the Mingus and Cecil Taylor material spread over a number of original albums including the two Jazz Artists Guild compilations, Newport Rebels & The Jazz Life!, and Candid Dolphy.

I am sure the new Bernie Grundman remasters are fine, but they won't make for a complete set of Taylor & Mingus on Candid in stereo.

J.A.W. and dennis the menace like this.
  9. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Even the two pieces that are on what is side 2 on LP? They are mono on my Italian Candid reissue. Side 1 is the hard panning you describe.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have only listened to the first two tracks, couldn't bear any more. If I want to hear this album, I'll go to the mono Mosaic.

Tony A. likes this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

A wonderful disc (4) of different vocalist sets from the Mosaic Black & White Sessions:
    Estelle Edson
    Ivie Anderson
    Helen Humes
    Ernestine Anderson and
    Etta Jones ( pictured below)
    [​IMG]
    all singing and swinging hard on this cold -21c (-6 F) night

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charles Earland - Intensity (Prestige) 70s WLP

The album features Lee Morgan, Billy Harper, Hubert Laws, Billy Cobham, Jon Faddis, Virgil Jones and a few others. If you don’t like soul jazz don’t bother. :)

I performed a set of music tonight and it went over well. Got asked to play an extra song, so sort of an encore. A young man came up to me afterwards and thanked me for playing such beautiful songs and then asked if he could hug me. I said yes. :)

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Lee Morgan - Search For A New Land (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    A nice groove to help settle my brain down.

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Thanks. I had to take a big break from SHTV. I had people jumping down my throat in one of the Blue Note threads for making what was in my opinion pretty constructive criticism. At least I always try to make a contribution with my posts, and all I got in response was rude one-liners. I was pretty disappointed to where the forum was going in general.

In fact, the only reason I asked the gorts to reactivate my account was to be able to use the ignore function again :)

Stu02, Eigenvector, Tony A. and 5 others like this.
  15. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

16. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

17. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Eric Dolphy
    Out to Lunch!

Blue Note/King Record Co. Japan reissue (1978)

Nice and punchy. Much prefer it to the recent Classic reissue — the King has way more solid midrange and not so hyped-up treble. :hide:

[​IMG]

Sorcerer, paddrino, peter1 and 17 others like this.
  19. Two suberbe recordings

20. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

21. Inner City 3011 - Frank Wess " New York Jazz Quartet" - rec. 1977 - Engineer: Robert Drakre

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Another very cold day today here. Last time I checked it was 6 degress F (-14 C) Yesterday wasn't as cold so got the dogs walked early and then decided to take a noon time trip to the cinema with Ms. Tirebiter to see "The Fabelmans", which was enjoyable, at least at the senior discount price. First spin of the day to warm things up with some prime Dexter Gordon on CD (I found a first press deep groove Blue Note with no cover back in '16 that I want to spin again as soon as I set up a mono only turntable). No movies today on the agenda. Just staying in until temps rise this afternoon, do a few chores then fire up the tubes and spin some vinyl. Stay warm out there!!

[​IMG]

Now we're moved ahead a few years to some more "atmospheric" ECM material. Frisell has been showing up on a lot of listened to titles lately.
    Stay warm out there!!!

Paul Motian – I Have The Room Above Her
    [​IMG]
    Label: ECM Records

Tracklist
    1 Osmosis Part III 5:55
    2 Sketches 2:32
    3 Odd Man Out 4:13
    4 Shadows 3:28
    5 I Have The Room Above Her
    Composed By – Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein*
    5:31
    6 Osmosis Part I 3:28
    7 Dance 4:02
    8 Harmony 7:03
    9 The Riot Act 4:41
    10 The Bag Man 5:33
    11 One In Three 7:07
    12 Dreamland

Credits

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

After the conversation last night about the Candid reissues, I spent a little time with The World of Cecil Taylor new remaster in 23/192 via Qobuz on headphones and in my car as I was going out, so not on the big hi fi.

But it was great, wide, natural, you are there stereo with lots of room ambiance. Like listening to the band playing in the actual moment (too bad the piano isn't always so well tuned and regulated, maybe a result of 26 takes of Air or whatever it was, I'm sure Cecil was hard on pianos).

I know we all have different tastes and interests in sound -- in music, around here I guess, at least we're all into jazz -- but these Candid recordings are, on the whole, great, even reference quality recordings in stereo.

As a middle schooler and high schooler I was particularly a blues fan, and as a young pianist, an Otis Spann fan, so back then I spent a lot of time with Otis Spann Is the Blues, and that's one amazing sounding recording in stereo. In college I spent a lot of time with We Insist and Straight Ahead, and those were great sounding, room presence filled, stereo recordings too. So when I later started hearing audiophiles talking about these things in mono, I was a little surprised. These are great, natural, realistic stereo recordings, I thought, why would anyone prefer them in mono? (I don't much care for mono anyway. It can sound great in terms of timbre sometimes, and obviously I listen to a lot of mono recordings because I listen to a lot of old recordings, but mono never sounds realistic in space.)

When I get the Mosaic Mingus box I was supremely disappointed with the sound with was small, almost kind of occluded sounding like it was coming from second generation tapes. Nothing like the great roomy ambient stereo of all the other Candids I had heard.

When I finally heard the stereo mix of Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, I understood why some people prefer the mono. But that one album seems to be a weird outlier.

[​IMG]

24. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Always appreciate the chance to add yet another title to the library's online reading list. Now I just have to make certain I work harder to live long enough to read them all. (I'm still only a few chapters in with "The Brothers Karamazov.") Well, I hear tell a person has to have some goals along the way....

25. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time