Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer, Irish51, KCLizard and 19 others like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The music community here is really good. Cooperation and support is very common.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Now spinning on the turntable: Joe Temperley & Jimmy Knepper - Just Friends (Hep Records). Derek Smith on piano, Michael Moore on bass & Billy Hart on drums. Billy Hart playing drums on a swing-styled LP seems weird to me but what do I know? :)
    [​IMG]

4. The perfect selection to end an excellent day long MONK listening session.

[​IMG]
    monk's music - thelonious monk septet (Riverside/OJC) CD
    with
    Monk (piano), Ray Copeland (trumpet), Gigi Gryce (alto sax), Art Blakey (drums)
    Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane (tenor sax), Wilbur Ware (bass)

8 tracks (including one 'bonus') recorded June 1957. CD digital remastering - Kirk Felton.

Tony A., Sorcerer, Irish51 and 20 others like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You may ask why I mention the passing of pianist George Winston on this thread.

George was a serious student of many forms of music. From jazz to world to virtually every form of roots music

He was also a Bear Family completist. He had every box (ALL of them) and every single/double CD set.

About ten years ago, George called a good friend of mine and told him he wanted to give him his entire Bear Family collection. Free. Over 300 deluxe box sets.

George even paid the cost of shipping. He added in a good and very large part of his jazz.

I realize now, that George was divesting himself after his first cancer diagnosis.

George was a very nice and extremely funny man.

And very generous.

[​IMG]

From today's obituary:

"All of his influences merged into the style he called rural folk piano, a term he came up with to encompass music that, as he said on his website, “is melodic and not complicated in its approach, like folk guitar picking and folk songs, and has a rural sensibility.”

Critics sometimes found his piano work to be unsophisticated or repetitive, but he sold millions of albums and drew enthusiastic audiences wherever he played. His concerts generally included a charitable component, benefiting food banks or other causes.

Mr. Winston knew his music wasn’t for everyone, and he was self-deprecating about that.

“One person’s punk rock is another person’s singing ‘Om’ or playing harp,” he told The Santa Cruz Sentinel of California in 1982. “It’s all valid — everybody’s got their own path. I wouldn’t want to sit around and listen to me all day.”

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Monk was looking so happy that day. I bet he even spoke a few words.

7. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Here, Monk & Miles just finished the first take (and closing item on the CD) of The Man I Love from All Miles about 2 minutes ago.
    Thanks again for the notice on the reduced price Miles box recently, Tribute.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land - Blow Up
    Juan Les Pin 1969
    Unofficial live release.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Wow, I haven't put this one in the transport for a while. With the new DAC the sound on this really grabs my attention. Percussion and stringed instruments have real texture and presence.

An interesting project conceived and produced by the late Bob Belden who as always generous in communication with me and other fans. Miles pieces re-imagined with care and innovation compared to the originals. Neat arrangement and performances. And some excellent engineering.

"Miles en Espanol: New Sketches of Spain" 2 disc set
    [​IMG]

10. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

[​IMG]

I just finished listening to Saturday Night In San Francisco. Man, what a beautiful album. I actually think it's better than Friday Night. I love the entire album, but my favs are Splendido Sundance; One Word; Meeting of the Spirits; and Soniquete. I have the hi-res digital download in FLAC at 24-bit / 192kHz. (Friday Night is also hi-res @24-bit / 176.4kHz). Sound is excellent through my Teac UD-503 DAC with my Sennheiser HD 700 headphones.

I also have the SACD (though I do not own an SACD player) and to me, the CD sounds a tad warmer and less "digital" than the hi-res files played through the same DAC, but directly connected to my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player via digital cable.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I never really listened to Friday Night in San Francisco, until I decided to get the Saturday Night CD. Of the two, I much prefer the Saturday session over the Friday session, mainly due to the material. I simply like the material on this one vs. Friday Night. To me this session sounds more intimate.

This is a really great album and would certainly compliment Friday Night In San Francisco for those that have it. If not, I’d recommend both.

laf848, djost, Irish51 and 6 others like this.
  11. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

I saw that CD a couple of months back when I was looking at some Miles CDs and thought about getting it, but in the end decided to skip as 1) I'm not really a fan of people remaking other's albums, and 2) Sketches of Spain isn't really an album that I'm all that fond of, though I do love Solea (playing it now). That said, I see it's on Spotify, so I'll give it a listen and go from there.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I never picked that up and only heard bits of it. I also passed on the concert for this program in San Francisco back when it came out. My loss.

ILovethebassclarinet and Lonson like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Glad you will seek it out as it's worth a listen to see what may spark. To me it's not really like Sketches . . .or a "redo" of Sketches. It does not "redo" the whole album and also has material from KOB, Someday My Prince will Come, and various other material. And Belden's arrangements are very non-Sketches of Spain, as are the instrumentation.

Various - Miles Español (New Sketches Of Spain)

This (and the former project, "Miles in India") have grown on me over the years.

Anyway, it's worth a check out on Spotify. And this time the actual "sound" and engineering caught my attention--a good one for enjoying the system.

MIOM likes this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

In other SF Bay Area news, Terrance Blanchard has been chosen to replace Randall Kline as Executive Artistic Director of the SF Jazz Festival who is stepping down after forty years with the organization he started. It’s been a great jazz festival that went from seasonal in various venues to building ots own space and hosting jazz all year around. :targettiphat: To Mr. Kline.

15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Johnny Lytle - The Soulful Rebel
    [​IMG]

This album grooves hard. Really, this thing is smokin' from start to finish. I would say this is absolutely essential for any lover of jazz funk or soul jazz. Billy Nunn's organ sits somewhere between traditional jazz organ and early rock organ, and that matches this music magically, especially with leader Lytle's vibes. That massive groove comes from the electric bass of Ron Carter, the drums of Jozell Carter, and the Congas of Ray Barretto. Throw in some seriously funky guitar with a touch of fusion fuzz from David Spinozza, and you've got a totally killer funky soulful jazz fusion album. Yeah, this is both smooth and hot at the same time. With all due respect to Mr. Davis, this is Big Fun!

16. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Duke -
    ‘ See these are all the people on Lonsons thread who love jazz and conversation , you should go online and check it out ‘

18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think you mentioned you had every mosaic box set. I am sure that raised his eyebrows a bit

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

A note of caution to buyers - It looks like she sings on only 2 songs -

Bill007 likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe the website is wrong as most or all of CD 2 was in her standard repertoire that she had recorded in the studio.

Bill007 and frightwigwam like this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I got hoodwinked, the other day in picking up this and the Paul Bley lp in same series [​IMG]
    Its a new reissue series on Audio Japan from 2021 and I assumed it was a legit Japanese reissue likely from digital due to its very reasonable price point , there is a Obi written partly on Japenese as well.
    But-
    It seems to be a fake Japanese series from a grey market Dutch company.

At any rate the vinyl has relatively few pops but there is some hissing in background you can hear when playing loud.
    The sound is not bad ( somewhat veiled) but all in all I will not be buying any more.

The music however is fabulous stuff
    Great interplay between the 2 saxes - alto v tenor

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Gotcha ok , thats a pretty large error in marketing that could have serious sales consequences. I mean a lot of people would be wanting her presence here
    Yikes

Bill007 and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Oxford origin of Hoodwinked:
    [​IMG]

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ry Cooder/V.M. Bhatt et.al. - A Meeting By The River (Water Lilly Acoustics) OG cd
    Such a beautiful album.

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I saw Beegie twice live, although neither time under the best of circumstances. The first was at a wedding reception, with her trio. The second was at the seniors building where my mom lived in her late years. Beegie played a less-than-wonderful upright and most of the program was her taking requests from the seniors. Of course, she knew every tune. I have some of her CDs and they're always a pleasure. I also remember seeing her in the late 60s/early 70s on local TV when they still had a mid-day show with a live band.