Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I know from personal experience that some people take the size of a person as a threat, regardless of the behaviors of said person. I'm not sure of the height and weight of Monk, but it's my impression that he wasn't diminutive.

2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Ben Webster On EmArcy #1

[​IMG]

peter1, Irish51, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  3. becooltohermits

becooltohermits Forum Resident

Cool! How was the show?

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  4. ganma

ganma Senior Member

R.I.P. John Marshall.
    RIP John Marshall
    He played with Nucleus up until the Solar Plexus album in 1971. Here's a track from that.

5. Berthold

Ben Webster & Harry Edison Sextets #1

[​IMG]

peter1, Irish51, fdsfd and 5 others like this.
  6. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Sad sad news. Great drummer participating at the best recordings of the British jazz.
    R.I.P. John Marshall.

ILovethebassclarinet and ganma like this.
  7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Recorded 1962 / 1999 RVG

Staxus, CalaveraJ, mwheelerk and 15 others like this.
  9. I plan to compare the Bud Powell stereo and will report back.

Thanks. Fun to see Goldson in the bachelor pad :)

A good reminder to favorite these on Qobuz (Joshua Redman, Shipp, Laubrock, Diehl)
    The new release browse function is good, but the @chervokas reminder helps too :)

I'm curious about that Who's Next Atmos mix.
    Do you have a way to check it out?

@Stu02 - I can confirm that approach for The Stone shows. I'm one of the folks that arrives early as for this particular venue, I like to be in the front row.

Thanks for reminder to watch the Wayne Shorter documentary.

Just catching up on the Atlantic announcement. I see 28 of the 75 albums are jazz, including the Coltrane titles.
    I'm not a fan of the double 45RPM format, and prefer these titles in mono, so will pass. But given they're all coming out on SACD, there's a chance they may also be streaming in hi-res, which I'll compare. Many as you note have been covered, by Pure Pleasure, ORG, Rhino, etc.

10. WP: Gerry Mulligan (Fantasy compilation 1956 red vinyl)

[​IMG]

NP: Sarah Vaughan (EmArcy 1955 US LP)

I have many copies of this album. And I've just worked out how to add duplicate copies to Discogs 'my collection'. Hadn't occurred to me before but its handy.
    Intention was to upgrade either vinyl or cover on one of my all time faves.

[​IMG]

Staxus, Irish51, mwheelerk and 15 others like this.
  11. Berthold

Ben Webster: King Of The Tenors

[​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I recall someone once responding to accusations that reissue labels were just interested in money, "If they only want money, they are in the wrong business. They should spend their money on real estate and health care operations." (that's what SONY is doing)

I think the problem lies with many listeners who limit their interests to a small handful of artists or record labels.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I do think that contributes, but people can only buy what they can find.

dennis the menace likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have described that cover as "The Mona Lisa of Jazz album covers"....as Ben's eyes follow you and reach into you no matter where you move.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Sorcerer, DrJ, Mark J and 3 others like this.
  15. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

music from another galaxy… breathtaking

Staxus, peter1, paddrino and 15 others like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think the interest in exploring new music, or new anything, comes from within the person. It doesn't come from the marketplace itself.

A friend of mine, who made a career in educational policy and theory, told me recently that the fundamental purpose of education, from kindergarten to PhD. is to make a person interested in learning, interested in exploring. It isn't to pile on "facts, figures and logic."

17. Berthold

Ben Webster: The Soul Of Ben Webster #1

[​IMG]

SeeDubs, peter1, Irish51 and 13 others like this.
  18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Larry Goldings, Willie Weeks, Steve Jordan. Guest performers include Dr. John, Warren Haynes, Mavis Staples, David "Fathead" Newman, Aaron Neville, John Mayer.

19. Side B isnt bad either!!!
    :D :thumbsup:

Irish51 and davidpoole like this.
  20. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

this is the first LP till today that I dropped on the floor. I still remember how it slipped from my hands and as a I tried to catch it I pushed it against the wall which made even more scratches. Side B was destroyed. I love this music so much that I decided to replace it with a clean copy. Great stuff. On the Nile

21. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Seems quite typical of their business model, with all the buzz words and snob appeal.
    They haven't gone bankrupt yet appealing to the upper crust.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/pdf/Atlantic_Records_75_announcement.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------

We will be using the original, analog master tapes for these reissues. But there are a few newer artist titles that were recorded to hi-res digital. For those titles, we will of course cut from the digital masters. And there may be a few older titles for which the absolute analog master tape is no longer available or is in poor condition. In those cases, we will use a tape copy if we determine that it is the absolute best available source. In all such cases, we will disclose the source used in the masteringWe will be using the best mastering engineers in the world, including Bernie Grundman, Ryan K. Smith, Kevin Gray, Chris Bellman and Matthew Lutthans. There will be various reasons why we may choose different mastering engineers for individual projects as we aim to make this the absolute highest quality series.

• Each release will be packaged in the highest-quality tip-on gatefold jacket. Most will be provided by Stoughton Printing, but because of paper shortages and delays, we may need to find other high-quality printers to provide some jacket

You have an opportunity to reserve the same numbered-edition, Quality Record Pressings copy of each title!

The first 2,000 pressings of each title will be numbered editions and pressed at our own Quality Record Pressings. Beyond the first 2,000 pressings of each title, non-numbered copies will be available and will be pressed at either Quality Record Pressings or RTI. If there are any limited-numbered pressings that are not reserved, these will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, if you purchase one of these copies, you will not be guaranteed the same serial number on a different title. Series subscribers within the continental United States will enjoy free shipping. All other customers will be charged shipping when each record ships.

To guarantee your same number for each QRP pressing, we are requiring prepayment for the entire series.
      Email [email protected] to reserve your copies. We ask that only collectors with a very serious interest in this opportunity contact us.

Receive a guaranteed number between 1-100 with the following details:
      • Guaranteed series number of 1-100 for the entire set
      • Free shipping for each title as they ship monthly.
      • Payment will need to be completed upfront and all sales are final. (Onetime payment)
      • Cost is $4,560 (plus tax where applicable)

Bradd likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was on a NYC subway platform one time, and I watched a fellow start to take a CD out of its case to place it in his portable CD Walkman player.

The CD slipped out and hit the platform just right and start rolling in a long curve, like a dropped coin, and fall to the subway tracks.

Then suddenly, an express train came in. I got on immediately and looked at the fellow just standing there on the platform looking a bit unhappy.

He should have walked. I mean, it is a "Walk"man, not a "Subway"man

peter1 likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Kenny Warren Trio "In the Heat" Whirlwind Records cd

A trumpet/bass/drums trio. Interesting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Six String likes this.
  25. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

A number of years ago I heard a radio program of their earlier sides and I bought the German RCA compilation of 1937-39 recordings for Victor. Wonderful stuff, recorded shortly after they graduated from high school.
    [​IMG]