Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Have only this version

[​IMG]

2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

It's my impression that the dubbing by Mingus was done soon after the concert, but that may not be accurate, and I also don't know if the audio verite has ever been released before in any version, or what specific issues CM had with the original recording with respect to volume, performance, mix, etc..

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

This release is the complete show, and w/o the overdubs -- Charlie Parker – Complete Jazz At Massey Hall (2003, CD) - Discogs I haven't heard it, but I know Phil Schaap used to play the unoverdubbed stuff sometimes.

jay.dee and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  4. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Same mastering and restoration on LP and CD...one is four times the price....

Not long ago, I got all three very clean original 10 inch LPs on Mingus' Debut label for less money

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robitjazz, Staxus, DTK and 5 others like this.
  6. ILovethebassclarinet

Six String likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

8. ILovethebassclarinet

I think I might have seen the drawing of the Strings and Keys before somewhere, but I have the music on the Debut CD box. I do have the Nadi Qamar LP, but he's playing a kalimba type 'piano' on that. Thanks for the show of LP covers; haven't seen any of those in the wild that I can recall. I bought the Prestige/Fantasy twofer of Massey Hall in the mid-70s.

dennis the menace likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mingus and his first wife, Celia, divorced and she remarried Saul Zaentz (later the owner of Fantasy/Prestige)

He gave the Zaentz couple complete ownership of his Debut label as a wedding gift, with all masters and original tapes.

He did not know that was probably a multi-million dollar gift, though he never had enough to pay his rent in those days.

He should have given them a nice salad bowl.

Celia Zaentz Obituary (2016) - San Luis Obispo, CA - San Luis Obispo County Tribune

jcarter, Robitjazz, DTK and 4 others like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The undubbed version is included in the Debut CD boxset of Mingus (issued in 1990), along with the overdubbed version.

I expect that a lot of the sales hype and reviews of the new edition will be talking about the undubbed version, even though they have been in wide circulation for more than 30 years.

The complete contents of this new edition are also included in this boxset, albeit a different mastering.

[​IMG]

paddrino, Staxus, John Fell and 2 others like this.
  11. ILovethebassclarinet

12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I have the Japanese mini lp version of Massey Hall that was issued in 1999 and it’s the undubbed one so I will be picking up this release. The Jazz Factory probably just copied it off an existing record.

Moreover, the new reissue has 19 tracks, five more than the Jazz Factory version.

You can still get the Debut box set, around $100 or so. Not bad for 12 CDs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

Hmm, mine (Debut box) only has 4 discs...

NP:
    The Nat King Cole Trio - Live At The Circle Room
    [​IMG]

14. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Great answer! Thanks!

I threw the three Pablo Live titles after the Impulse titles as my eyes got hurt looking at those few Pablo records mixed in between the Impulse records.

Now, my next OCD question is: would you put following titles in the John Coltrane section – and why/why not?

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
    Bags & Trane
    The Cats

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

I meant Steven Joerg, the tireless impresario/producer of AUM Fidelity/Tao Forms, who continues to release great music despite the odds. Apologies for the typo.

jay.dee and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  16. jazzfreak

jazzfreak Forum Resident

Thank you to all that responded to my last post. It's given me a new perspective and appreciate the genre even more. We are so lucky to have this hobby.

My next question is what is your favourite musical instruments when it comes to jazz? Mine are;

1. Trumpet
    2. Flugelhorn
    3. Tenor sax
    4. Guitar
    5. Vibraphone
    6. Fender, Wurlitzer, Hammond, Electric piano
    7. Acoustic bass
    8. Ride cymbals (I find it very musical)
    9. Congas
    10. Grand Piano

I also don't like it if there are no drums in the ensemble. I love to hear trumpet, tenor sax, acoustic bass, and drums.

17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

In my case, yes for all three albums.

Chakana likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Why wouldn't you?

But you should have an extra copy of Ellington & Coltrane to put in the Duke Ellington section on your shelf.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  19. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

The great thing about albums like those is that you can move them around to free up space, it's not a bug it's a feature!

20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

From another thread
    [​IMG]
    Dons gonna hurt in the morning

21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

For me it’s sax because of Bird followed by the B3. Not on your list but really works well is harp; makes a great sound. If you’d like to check some harp out, sample some Dorothy Ashby. Flute is also up there.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  22. ILovethebassclarinet

I've modified the contents/sorting to fit the shelving before; 'if I move Pentangle from here to there, that should work to loosen this one and tighten that one.'

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  23. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

James Brandon Lewis - Eye of I
    [​IMG]
    Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.

This year's release from James Brandon Lewis is a gem, but with some rough edges, and there's nothing wrong with that. Lewis is a fine sax man bringing avant hard ranging from easily digestible to genuinely challenging. There's a noticeable element of spiritual jazz in his work as well. Spiritual jazz is often associated with "far out" or forms of spirituality not normally traditional to America. Interestingly, Lewis's gospel roots shine though and when mixed with more far out spiritual jazz, make a fine blend. I found the album to start strong, then wander a bit too far afield for a couple cuts, and then finish strong with the last two cuts making for positively powerful listening. When present (two tracks) cornetist Kirk Knuffke brings wonderful additional color to the front line.

Rob C, jay.dee, Six String and 5 others like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I recently expanded my storage by tunneling below other houses on my street.

The stairs lead toward my regular music library.

[​IMG]

The vaults start out with unfinished surfaces

[​IMG]

Over time, the best stuff is secured in climate controlled storage

[​IMG]

jay.dee, peter1, jcarter and 6 others like this.
  25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image AHHH! Salesman!

NP:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time In

From this OOP set -

[​IMG]