Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Liner notes are in Japanese but there is an asterisk after the 6th. The recording was made in 1992.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Joyce "Astronauta: Canções de Elis"

A chill pill I've needed before. Fits just right today.

[​IMG]

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Up until now John Zorn's catalogue has been unobtainable on streaming. Could I invite those of you with streaming services and a more or less conservative taste in Jazz to check out Full Fathom Five? I don't think you'll feel you've wasted your time.

frightwigwam and GnuHigh like this.
  4. Lonson

Wow. I haven't revisited this recording in some time.

This dance remix disc will challenge your system. It's a good tool . . . if you get distortion-free clarity and a huge dynamic punch from this recording, your system can handle almost anything!

Monday Michiru "Alter Ego: Nexus Remixed"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

markp and dennis the menace like this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I noticed the Tzadik catalog on Qobuz last night. Pretty exciting that I'll get a chance to check out some of the voluminous number of releases that I'm curious to hear but don't want to invest. Now if only the RogueArt catalog was streaming, or at least was available for an inexpensive annual sub like Dave Douglas' Greenleaf label is.

6. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I have listened to Full Fathom Five three times just this morning. It's very good.

Tzadik on streaming is an incredible wealth of music to enjoy.

Sordel and dennis the menace like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well its possibly offensive to suggest anything like that since it is many people’s favourite Davis Quintet but i like pondering what ifs.
    I once suggested to a close friend that Lightfoot should have put one verse of the Edmund Fitsgerald earlier in the song and it went over very badly LOL

dennis the menace likes this.
  8. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

It's very odd. The distortion appears on several of these records, and begins creeping in towards the halfway point of the affected sides, increasing as it gets to the end. I attributed it to a form of inner groove distortion, and futzed with the setup of my turntable and cartridge for quite a while but was never able to get any improvement. This isn't something that I experience with other records in my collection, so it seems oddly specific to this series of records. I've heard similar reports from others who have these records, but other people seem to be able to play them without issues. So....it's a bit of a mystery.

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

:)

10. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(OK - maybe I am actually sort of sure ...)

jay.dee, Jazzmonkie, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

No doubt that Carter has been a great pillar of the SGQ. But I believe that Peacock likely would have a freer approach and it would have been intriguing for all jazz fans.

12. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I don't know it. A good reason for listening to it on Spotify. A dream band whom I already own some excellent stuff of.

Dan Steele likes this.
  13. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Miles Davis All Stars Quintet/ Sextet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Renee Rosnes Trio - Face to Face (CD, somethin'else, 1989)

Renee Rosnes (p), Robert Hurst (b), Billy Drummond (d)

If it wasn't for this thread, I probably wouldn't know about Rosnes, and, admittedly, I still know very little. I recently found this 1989 Japanese trio release. It is very short (only about 26 minutes), but it is elegant and melodious. I am not sure if this early recording is representative for her work in the 90s and later, but I'm sure that I'll find out eventually.

[​IMG]

Fischman, fingerpoppin, markp and 3 others like this.
  15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thats a great shot of Braxton!

16. Lonson

Carlos Santana/John McLaughlin "Love, Devotion and Surrender" Sony Quad SACD
    [​IMG]
    Just in from cdjapan.co.jp Sounds great.

Staxus, frightwigwam, ganma and 7 others like this.
  17. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Great album!

18. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I know Impex and Le Tres Jazz Club have put out some TBM reissues, but any other labels putting out (good) pressings of classic and deep cut Three Blind Mice records?

Dan Steele likes this.
  19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Well Mike listened to the Joe Henderson album and also sounded very good to me, no distortion. Fwiw I just put a new Rega Exact cart on my TT yesterday and my Neo speed box is running at exactly 33.33 so everything is recalibrated. The very last notes of the Kicker on side B have trumpet and trombone together, if there was distortion I would have expected it there. Maybe i got a lucky pressing?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  21. Agreed, and your note is encouragement to go back and listen again.

Do post your findings if you get to hear the surround mix of the McCoy Tyner recording :)

Same here.

Listening to the 4.0 quad mix now. First time hearing it beyond the stereo LP.
    Today I finally have Caravanserai in quad too. Excited!

Hearing the 'a love supreme' chant floating apart from the drums (rear) and electric guitar (front left) works well in quad.

22. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

I very much enjoyed Edgar Meyer's double bass take on the Bach suites:

[​IMG]

23. belyin

I very much enjoyed Edgar Meyer's double bass take on the Bach suites:

[​IMG]

Tribute, fdsfd and Lonson like this.
  24. belyin

On the long drive back from Chicago to New Orleans, I played "A Tribute to Alvin Fielder: Live at the Vision Festival" several times. Alvin's long time comrades Kidd Jordan and Joel Futterman teamed up with Kidd's long time associates Hamid Drake and William Parker for scintillating and moving set to honor their friend. Although Kidd played a few more times after this show, it is in many ways his last will and testament. As he says at the end, "I done had my fun/If I don't get well no more." I was at the concert, and it was wonderful for me to relive the moment and to remember Kidd and Al.

[​IMG]

25. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

Thanks for following up, Dan. Glad you had better luck with these than I did, as they really are some amazing recordings!