Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Date of purchase (online) November 2015
    Generic matrix RFD80M 76547 80 stamped (backwards) on the disc.

ToniFromMars likes this.
  2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Have always been intrigued by Joe Henderson’s series of Milestone albums both the music and the titles: Power to the People, In Pursuit of Blackness, Black Narcissus, Black Miracle, Black is the Color, If you’re not part of the Solution… hard to deny there is a theme there that paints a picture of a militant artist (using historical terms) but I havnt read or seen anything that Joe comes across that way compared to Archie Shepp as an example. Maybe he just let his music do the talking and didnt feel the need to discuss further in interviews? Doesnt change my love of his music one way or the other, he’s my favorite jazz artist of all time just thought there’d be more written about the reason behind those titles. Maybe if I had access to Downbeat or other contemporary magazine there are some nuggets in there? If anyone has some links that could enlighten me I would appreciate it. NP: In Pursuit of Blackness

[​IMG]

mgb70, Cold Trane, KCLizard and 14 others like this.
  3. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

4. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

5. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

In Pursuit of Blackness has 2 tracks - Invitation and Gazelle recorded during the Lighthouse live sessions (If You’re Not Part of the Solution…). This album has 3 tracks from the same live dates that dont appear on the original LP - a longer Invitation version, Lofty (aka Punjab) and What’s Mine is Yours (aka Power to the People)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  6. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

This seems to work for Down Beat SEARCH GENERIC

[​IMG]

Cold Trane and Dan Steele like this.
  7. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Lucian Ban/John Surman/Mat Manieri, Sannicolau Mare Romania 11/8/18. A jazz take on folk songs from Bartok - who was born there. Unusual and beautiful music.

Irish51, peter1, Cold Trane and 6 others like this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Some late-night free jazz extravaganza over here:

Friedrich Gulda, Ursula Anders, Barre Phillips, John Surman, Cecil Taylor, Stu Martin, Albert Mangelsdorff - Nachricht vom Lande

Gotta love that mad piano playing, just awesome! A reissue would be long overdue in my opinion, it only got released on vinyl in Austria and Germany in 1976/77.

Found track 2 on YouTube: "Begegnung auf Moosham"

9. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

10. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

First time listening to Hank Mobley - A Slice On Top, what a great album! Will need to listen again, but the track A Touch Of Blue has such an enticing groove.

11. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Sounds good, will check this out :righton:

12. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Don Byas: Savoy Jam Party (The Savoy Sessions)
    From sessions recorded 1944 - 1946. This 2-LP compilation released 1976.

[​IMG]

I have been meaning to pick this up and I found it at Groove Yard in Oakland a few days ago. It adds to the sides on the only Don Byas I had, a 1969 release.
    [​IMG]

13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

1971 Blue Mitchell and Joe Henderson
    [​IMG]

14. I recently found a copy of Sheila Jordan's Confirmation on East Wind.
    This is a good reminder to spin it..

Theresa Records is consistently excellent. Unfortunately collectors are catching on, and what used to be $5 LPs are now collectible (notably Pharoah Sanders).

Thanks @Bradd . Exactly the kind of direction I was hoping for on Le Carre

Didn't know that. Thanks Lon.

Metheny is playing Dream Box locally soon, and I'm still on the fence about going. Yet to hear him play guitar live.

15. WP: Reuben Wilson – On Broadway (BN original 1968 'van gelder')

First listen...its Wilson's debut (first of five for Blue Note) and really bold organ playing.
    Sampled by US3 ('I Got It Goin On'), and the whole album has the feel of breaks, hooks, and riffs that could be picked up.
    I had the second and third LP (Love Bug, Blue Mode), so worked backwards.

[​IMG]

NP: Roy Milton – Instant Groove (Classic Jazz 1981, reissue of Black & Blue France 1971 LP)

R&B and jump blues singer published his own 78s in 1940s. Captured in 1971 in fine form with sextet.
    [​IMG]

16. Is Apple scanning album art with price stickers? Hadn't seen that before.
    Many of his album titles play with the word 'blue'.

17. MoreWatts

MoreWatts Forum Resident

Here's another nice 2023 release. Teri is based in Toronto and this is her 2nd album.

Teri Parker, Shaping The Invisible.

Teri Parker (Piano), Luis Deniz (Alto and Soprano Saxophones), Andrew McAnsh (Trumpet), Mark Godfrey (Double Bass) and Ernesto Cervini (Drums). :cool:

[​IMG]

18. Added to Qobuz favorites to check out.
    --------

NP: Herbie Mann – Brazil, Bossa Nova & Blues (UA 1962 stereo original, Plastylite)

The United Artists jazz series from the early sixties has these white monochrome matte sleeves that I'm drawn to. I dig the photos, and there's some strong titles that don't get much play. Mann is surely one of the least collectible jazz artists of the 50s-80s, and I've got maybe 20 of his albums, and find a lot to enjoy in his approach to flute.

'Brazil' or 'Aguarelle do Brasil' is the opener, and ever since hearing this in Michael Kamen's soundtrack to Gilliam's Brazil, its been an ear-worm that I'm happy to have inhabit my brain. Mann's arrangement is catchy, and stretches out. There's an excellent rhythm and percussion team:
    [​IMG]

The cover photographic style may look familiar. It's Frank Gauna who had a way to catch musicians in candid settings, where they seem to have forgotten his presence.
    Here are three other Gauna' pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That’s really cool it must have been fun!

20. WP: Leigh Kaplan & Lincoln Mayorga - Dizzy Fingers (Cambria 1983 US LP)

Beautifully recorded as is much of Mayorga's piano playing, here with standards of the 20s/30s like Tea for Two, and fast-paced fingerwork by the piano duo.
    This one doesn't appear to be in Discogs.

[​IMG]

NP: The Carla Bley Band – Musique Mecanique (WATT 1979)

Bley died in October, just a few months ago...there were several posts in this thread if I recall. She left behind a rich discography, and I'm still catching up.
    Bley's compositions for this 13-piece big band of avant-garde players (Steve Swallow, Roswell Rudd, etc) suggest a film score.

ECM Reviews is excellent reading when delving into the ECM/WATT catalog, and does a better job than I can on this album.
    The Carla Bley Band: Musique Mecanique (WATT/9)

[​IMG]

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

This is Embryo
    ⸻Embryo
    1974 Metronome 2001 [Germany] 200.152

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  22. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Spinning the single-layer SACD of this right now, and I can't imagine there is a better-sounding digital version of this incredible LP, one of the first jazz albums I exposed myself to.

[​IMG]

23. WP: Bobby Timmons Featuring Sonny Red – Live At The Connecticut Jazz Party (Chiaroscuro 1981 US LP)

Sound on this live set is spotty but the quartet's performance is excellent.
    [​IMG]

NP: Junior Mance Trio – Junior's Blues (Riverside mono 1963 original)

This set is hitting the spot at this late hour. Bluesy, like it says. 'Creole Love Call' is a highlight.
    [​IMG]

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

@davidpoole You should consider the Metheny show. I’m a lukewarm PM fan but assuming it’s a small theater it would be worth your time. He uses the orchestrion on a couple of tracks but overall it is just him and a guitar. I was really glad I went.

25. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks Tony, didn’t know about that resource

Tony A. likes this.