Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Thank you, Lonson. I'm sure the SHM-CD will be fine, so I just bookmarked it for my next order from Japan.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

You're welcome. Consider this one too though, shouldn't be hard to find, the live versions are well worth hearing (here remastered by Phil Shaap, not the worst work he's done) and the studio material there is remastered by Mark Levinson on Cello equipment and sounds quite nice.

Miles Davis - The Complete Birth Of The Cool

Postercowboy likes this.
  3. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

A lot of Miles conversation going on, now playing.

Miles Davis ~~ Kind of Blue

4. A busy day running around, getting in the last minute shopping and looking at expensive fountain pens (another money pit I haven't fed for a while :agree:).
    The big holiday in Japan is New Year. I've had a very relaxed Christmas, enjoying the sunshine, reading a wonderful history of Britain's railways from Simon Bradley (I love trains - my sister lives a short walk away from Hudson's magnificent York Station, with the National Railway Museum just behind it). Eating way too many biscuits (ginger nuts sent over with a Christmas cake by my father), biscuits (cookies for you 'Muricans) are pretty lousy over here, and imports are expensive.
    I have a couple of days to get my apartment into some semblance of organisation, o-shoji is the traditional end of year clean-up most Japanese households partake in. It should be a doddle as long as I don't break off too often for a coffee and slice of Christmas cake. The g/f has a dust allergy so I get a volley of sneezes and nasty looks if I don't do a thorough job..

Had an ECM day today...

[​IMG]
    ..this morning

[​IMG]
    ..this evening. Both original (West) German vinyl.

And that concludes my exhaustive collection of ECM recordings with deep orange artwork... :tiphat:

Starwanderer, Moko, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  5. Yeah, he's popular around these parts. Lonson himself may well be a fan. ;)

6. Lonson

Yes, I'm a fan. I try not to just fall into a Miles Davis rabbit hole as I often do since I first discovered him when I returned to America from Swaziland in '71.

Right now, this very jazzy recording from Aretha Franklin, "Oh Yeah," via the new Jazz Connoisseur cd from Legacy Recordings (Sony)--this edition includes transfers of both the original tape and the crowd overdubbed tape.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I was in elementary school, my teacher insisted we use fountain pens and would not allow ball point pens in the class. He wanted us to learn proper calligraphic penmanship. But instead, all the kids had blue fingers all year long, and no one could read what we wrote through all the blotches. But my skill at calligraphy came in handy when writing letters to girls later on.

There was (may still be) a store in Manhattan that sold exclusively fountain pens, probably the last of its kind in the USA.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  8. I tend to splurge on Miles more than any other artist, even my beloved Thelonious Monk. I've stayed away from both over the holidays, though I did have Miles's Blue Note sessions on in the background whilst I was reading. (I have a 300 disc CD player full of Toshiba Blue Note's and sometimes just let it run on random selection).

Re. Aretha, I'm trying to imagine what her rendition of 'If I Had A Hammer' sounds like. I grew up on the Trini Lopez version and have yet to find a version that beats it. It doesn't strike me as her kind of material (pun intended).

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

One of her best on Columbia (I also think her very first Columbia LP is excellent). Is the version you are referring to this one? This shows a date of 2011.

I have the Columbia box set which includes the same setlist with bonus tracks. I wonder if your edition is different or has any different tracks.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Lonson

I like it a lot. Aretha could sing anything. I really like the Columbia material, which was all over the map--I'm one of the lucky few who bought the complete Columbia box set when it was briefly available and I really enjoy these recordings. Her very first album and this "Yeah" album are perhaps the most consistently jazzy and I really recommend trying them out. The new Jazz Connoisseur version of "Yeah" is not at all expensive to grab. . . .

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. Lonson

Yeah, this is a 2017 reissue of a French Sony release from 2011. Yes you have the material, if you note at the bottom it says 13 to 25 as coming from the box set. I believe that the mastering on this one may be different however, as all the others in this Jazz Connoisseur series has been done in France, but I haven't compared directly, just enjoying the listen. (Got the disc for less than 7 dollars so was happy to have this separate copy, which I'll keep in the car, Aretha is great driving music).

12. That's how I went through school, (450 year old boy's grammar school, no girls, no female teachers). Nearly all the teachers were Oxbridge scholars and ball pens were forbidden as something only barbarians would use. Ink only. I had three blissful years of Parker Quink and blotting paper as I honed my cursive skills. My first attempts were poor, a very large, loopy hand. Then I borrowed a friend's history essay book and copied his much neater, and smaller style. I transformed my writing style over the course of a weekend. I feel bad when I see adults today who struggle with cursive writing. They are missing out.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Love the ECM, love the Gnu High too. The Aretha looks great!

Now playing:

[​IMG]

14. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Thank you. This one is all over the place indeed. Just picked one up on ebay for about $4 with shipping.

Lonson likes this.
  15. Lonson

[​IMG]

Phillipe Baden Powell (the guitarist's son) "Estrada de Terra/Dirt Road" . . . very nice!

bluemooze and bluejimbop like this.
  16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

According to Kelley's biography of Monk they argued over the correct way to play Round About Midnight in the car on the way back from Newport. And Monk didn't like Miles's 'new directions' in the late 60's. There are many instances of musical giants who we presume would be compatible but simply are not, and that seems to have been the case with Monk and Miles. Perfectly normal and expected.

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That was really true in her prime. Some of the song selections on live at The Filmore are iffy but her performance is transcendant. It was as if she gave voice to a muse that flowed through her.

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have a Timelss album by Pharoah titled Welcome To Love which is sort of a tribute to Trane's ballad playing. I'm not sure if Coltrane recorded all of the songs on the album but I know he did record most of them. It's a quartet recording with his right hand man, William Henderson on piano. Highly recommended.

WP Lee Konitz - Stereokonitz (RCA) Japanese cd

NP Red Garland - Swingin' On The Corner (Elemental)

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I saw Aretha from the front row right after The Fillmore shows. Everyone was standing at the edge of the stage. King Curtis was incredible too.

Mark E. Moon and Sneaky Pete like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I picked this up too though I wasn't aware of it before this year although I've been hip to most of the artists for decades.
    I took a leap of faith and bought the double album since this might be the only time it ever gets released.

Stu02 likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’m also trying to get some cleaning done today in the dumping ground I call an office; technically, it’s more like putting things away or deciding on a home for things since I usually just put stuff in the corner of the office when I don’t know what to do with it. I’ll probably have to switch to CDs at some point if I really want to be productive, but I’ve had this LP out for a weeks and have been meaning to put it on for a listen.

The Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 2
    (BLP-1504, mono, Division of Liberty pressing)

[​IMG]

22. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jodi GilbertThe Voice is the Matter (Ramboy Records)
    — Jodi Gilbert - voice, dulcimer; Michael Moore - clarinets, alto saxophone, tin whistle, melodica; Alexei Levin - piano, accordion; Ernst Glerum - bass; plus Michael Vatcher - drums.

[​IMG]

Lovely record. Very eclectic, yet holds together very well. If you like Robin Holcomb, you should like this.

Starwanderer, bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  24. Lonson

"Arkadia Jazz Presents: Thank You, Joe! Our Tribute to Joe Henderson"

[​IMG]

bluemooze, SteelyTom and Six String like this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Julian Cannonball Adderley - Presenting Cannonball (Savoy) mono Japanese cd 1991

Recorded in 1955 with his brother Nat, Hank Jones Paul Chambers and Kenny Clarke.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.