Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Allmusic says both of his parents were opera singers.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Beautiful recording and lovely music. "Winds of Brazil (Um Sopra de Brasil)" on Adventure Music. I really enjoy exploring the catalog of Adventure Music--always well-recorded and I encounter material for the first time that is very interesting. This one is a concert recording that features features work by Brazilian reed players Teco Cardoso, Vinicius Dorin, Lea Freire, Mauro Rodrigues, and Paulo Moura, and also a trumpeter and a guitarist and a piano trio supporting them. . . beautiful arrangements.

bluemooze, bluejimbop and Six String like this.
  4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I saw Tardy with Andrew Hill at Longy in Cambridge MA years ago. He was extraordinary.

rxcory likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Randy Weston - African Cookbook (Atlantic) red/green stereo label
    Love this album! Booker Ervin delivers what is imo one of his greatest solos on Portrait of Vivian. Then he doubles down on the same tune at Monterey in 1966 which was eventually released in the cd era.

6. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Sorry for the interruption, but I need to share my excitement with someone (cannot share jazz expense details with my wife :)).

Just ordered my first MoFi SACD: kind of blue (based on Lonson appraisals as being the best KOB CD version).
    [​IMG]
    Have that album twice already, but that "MoFi extra" was chasing me for a long time. I'll give my Columbia/Legacy CD to someone I like.

And to celebrate now I'll play a KOB contemporary. Think I never played this CD ... Bought it because it's a classic, but it's so overplayed everywhere...
    But guys you have to agree - take five - 1959... 59 ?!?!!?! That rhythm was way ahead of its time.
    [​IMG]

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Did you have an influence on Rhodes or keyboards at that time? Just interested if there was a sound or style that made you want to play the Fender Rhodes or was it just an instrument to have and to practice on. If you were into some rock n roll at the time was it people like Nicky Hopkins or Ian McLagan?

If you like Live In Tokyo I am assuming you also dig I Sing The Body Electric. That was my intro to WR. My favorites are the first and Sweetnighter but I can't get into the Jaco era as much as the Miroslav era.

Noisefreq1 and Six String like this.
  8. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Frank Wess/ Johnny Coles - Two At The Top (Uptown)
    With Kenny Barron, Reggie Johnson and Kenny Washington and recorded by RVG.

This album brings two giants together and made better by a wisely chosen song list by artists Kenny Dorham, Gigi Gryce, Benny Golson, Bud Powell and a few others.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, I understood that, and that was the point of my sentiment, to merely express fascination at the fact that the phrases one may use to negatively describe music are the same phrases another may use to positively describe it. Perhaps the degree of dislike you feel for them falls short of actual derision, apologies if my choice of words suggested this.

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP McCoy Tyner - Extensions (Blue Note)
    Killer album with Wayne Shorter and Gary Bartz on reeds and Ron Carter and Elvin Jones stoking the furnace. Wayne is a monster on rhe opening track. Almost forgot, Alice Coltrane on harp!

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was going to give another listen to Weather Report today but I started my day off by Relaxin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet and that ended up sending me in a Chief and Trane direction for most of the day, which in turn finally got me stoked up for the upcoming Vol. 6 in the Miles Bootleg Series.

Was playing

Miles Davis:

Relaxin’ (AP Prestige Mono series)

[​IMG]

Steamin’ (AP Prestige Mono series)

[​IMG]

Cookin’ (OJC, one of the contemporary vinyl releases)

[​IMG]

Milestones (MFSL SACD), here I meant to put on Round Midnight but grabbed this by mistake, it sounded too good to change course once it had started, so...

[​IMG]

...and closed out the day with:

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Like Someone in Love (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great day of music for you !

dzhason likes this.
  14. No kick gainst Brubeck's achievements but playing around with time signatures was hardly anything new. Max Roach had released Jazz In 3/4 Time in 1957. Take a listen to Monk's 'Carolina Moon' from 1956, Roach was playing in waltz time on that. 'Time Out' got the attention because it swings and Desmond works his magic but I don't see it as a game changer. Just my two penorth..

Yesternow and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Since the "game" does not get changed all that often (maybe only several times in a century in any aspect of our society), there can't be all that many game changing records.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not listenin' yet, but something to look forward to...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, WorldB3 and bluemooze like this.
  17. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Interesting that you singled out Live in Tokyo. This is the last WR album that I acquired, only in the last month or so. I am not a huge fan of WR despite having most of their albums but I got Live in Tokyo because it did not sound like your typical WR album at all. It is far more experimental and abstract. I am still digesting it.

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I will take those titles under advisement...cheers, gentlemen!:righton:

To be fair, though, there's a bit of a difference between 3/4 time and the 5/8's, 7/8s etc Brubeck and the gang get into on the Time Out/In/Further Out albums. Basing entire albums around odd time signatures probably was a bit of a game changer in those days. Brubeck invented Prog Jazz!:p
    I'm just getting into playing keyboards myself and love the Fender Rhodes sound. Personally, I have Donald Fagen to thank for that.

Mook likes this.
  19. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

This little fruit is called kumquat:
    [​IMG]
    You don't need to peel it before eating. To have an idea of its funky taste listen to this one:
    [​IMG]
    This is a great follow-up to the Mwandishi, Headhunters, George Duke albums.
    Check the lineup !! Great music in there really.
    [​IMG]

Six String, fatwad666, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Stuck in the lounge in a fog closed airport
    at the Toronto City island airport
    This is perfect for the weather
    Ben Webster
    See you at the fair

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Six String and dzhason like this.
  21. Very true. I don't think Time Out changed anything.
    By bit do you mean little? Prog Jazz? I thought that was be-bop. Now that's game-changing.

Pops bringing the soloist into the foreground. Game changer. Ellington introducing and popularizing longer compositions, game changer. I wouldn't put Brubeck in with those people. I don't see where Time Out offered new possibilities for jazz, led to a movement or school or changed public perceptions. It's more of an interesting diversion to me, and a lucrative one for Mr Brubeck and Columbia.

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Lonson, post: 17884513, member: 23336]
    Louis Armstrong's "Black and Blue" could sound dated. . . but it's timeless.[/QUOTE]

Only jazz fans could understand that comment

Six String likes this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Mick RossiThey Have A Word For Everything (Knitting Factory Records)
    — Mick Rossi; Piano, Glockenspiel: Dave Douglas; Trumpet: Andy Laster; Alto & Baritone Saxophone: Kermit Driscoll; Double Bass: Charles Descarfino; Drums & Percussion

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  24. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Spinning some Dave Holland Quartet and Quintet from
    Conference of the Birds and this one. Bouncy, splashy
    with odd time signatures lending to twist and turns...
    with Marvin Smith on drums; don't quite know what to
    make of his drumming style on these. Maybe another
    cup will get me in sync.

[​IMG]

25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

This is one of my favorite packages from EMI. And I agree with your comment.
    EW is one of a kind indeed. Speaking of Gary Burton, Passengers with E Weber
    is a terrific listen.