Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The notations on that map relate to some Dylan authors notes on the photo shoot locations for famous Dylan images. One guy in the Birdland photo makes me think of Sonny Rollins, but I don't think it is. The ghost with the sax....?

The most unusual thing about that photo from today's perspective is that there were TWO open parking spots at the corner of Broadway and 52nd.

Kkfan and Mugrug12 like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks. I remeber seeing this in the racks but for some reason I don't remember anything about it. I think I need a copy.

I was going to go hear the local big band but the traffic was so bad I knew I wouldn't get there in time for a seat so I turned around and decided to wait until next month. They only get together the first Tuesday of every month as there is no money to be made so they do it because they enjoy playing. They've been p,aying this same sport's bar for 18 years. It is made up of mostly local educators from a variety of high schools and colleges. The skill level is very high, no cover charge and guaranteed to please. Next month!

NP Joe Farrell - Skate Board Park (Xanadu) stereo lp
    W/Chick Corea, Bob Magnusson and Lawrence Marable recorded in 1979.

bluemooze and xybert like this.
  3. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Spinning Monk's Dream (waxtime, yes I know but I didn't pay much for it)

rxcory likes this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

My thought was also Sonny, but like you I'm not convinced. The "ghost" reminds me of Joe Maini. Any idea as to the year?

5. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This is my favorite of all Indian Classical and Jazz fusions. Everyone outplays themselves on this date:

John Handy / Ali Akbar Khan - Karuna Supreme

L.

bluemooze and Yesternow like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

a car expert would know. I think 1960. I am going to guess early Sunday morning (the lack of traffic) and these guys were playing all night. But would the Amusement Arcade have its lights on on Sunday morning? New York's Blue Laws required that they be closed.

here it is again for car experts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (Blue Note) 47 W63rd DG mono lp

I'm as puzzled as you Lon about that thread re: this album. I've never thought the piano was "off" in any way. Listenng now I still feel that way. Not sure what the expctation was for that OP. The rhythm instrument shouldn't be competing with the trumpet or alto sax. When Hank solos he's front and center (literally).

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

No way!! That is aweseome had no idea he made it himself! Nice

9. Mugrug12

I think it's a tiny bit muffled compared to the horns, which sound very in your face. Still amazing but the juxtaposition is what makes people notice imo

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Hank Jones was (appropriately) modestly playing at least in the album. It may give the impression.

Six String likes this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It doesn't come across as muffled on my lp. The piano is lower in the mix relative to the trumpet and sax unless Hank is soloing. I just wouldn't call it muffled. Hearing the end of Love For Sale where it is just Miles and Hank, crystal clear, great fidelity. Maybe it's my record or my system or a combo.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes! Agreed. I've only heard him play aggressive a few times and that is still relative to his usual style. They involved drummers who played "big." His soft touch is a hallmark of his playing.

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Joe Maini on the right. Don't know why I thought about him, as he's obviously more goofy than ghostly. The guy on the left is fellow sax-player Med Flory, later the creator of Supersax. I just found out that Flory was also an actor, which may explain the presence of Henry Fonda. The lady is Med's wife Joan. This photo is from the JazzWax blog, which has some great interviews with musicians like Med & many interesting musical links.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Blast from the past.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

To me Somethin Else is a better recorded BN album. Every instrument appears as it should be in the soundstage - horns are up front, the rhythm section is behind. The portrayal is wide and open. Another good example is well I would say Cool Struttin (stereo version).

IMO it is regrettable that Alfred Lion didn’t issue the ‘original' stereo pressing of Bass On Top. It would have been a sonic killer. AP should have issued the SACD.

16. Mugrug12

Didn't he produce it for liberty bn? Or was not an rvg master?

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Yes, the first stereo issue was for Liberty, and the sound quality is not that good. (I doubt rvg have mastered one.)
    The McMaster CD is very good, though. But the 63rd stereo vinyl would have been great.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  18. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

The "ghost" is Ben Carruthers. (it’s a still from the John Cassavetes 1959 film, Shadows taken by Ben Claxton)

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Is that a still from 'Shadows', where he plays a jazz musician?

20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Yes.

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Rudy hates vinyl.

Jazz Profiles: Rudy van Gelder: A Signature Sound

rxcory, bluejimbop, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  22. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

23. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Does jazz music makes you pull out strange expressions?
    [​IMG]

Not all albums or artists or songs... But sometimes, when immersed on the music, I find myself doing these strange faces as a response to particular chords or interplay by the players I'm listening to.

Piano and drums are the ones that have more physical effect on me.

If my face looks like I'm feeling this immense pain ... than I know the music is great.

[​IMG]
    Yeah Jack, that's the pain I'm talking about.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I love this release. Wish there were more. The film is great as well.
    "Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes"
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Carraway and Six String like this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Denny ZeitlinSlick Rock (MAX Jazz)
    — Denny Zeitlin (piano), Buster Williams (bass), Matt Wilson (drums)

[​IMG]

bluejimbop, bluemooze, xybert and 3 others like this.