Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

vanhooserd likes this.
  2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Listening to Miles/Ascenseur pour l’Échafaud. Beautiful. Any fans of this one? And what’s the film like?

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm a fan! Both of the "reverbed" and the "dry" versions of all tracks. Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion the film has never really done much for me, but then I am FAR from a film buff and don't watch a lot of movies.

Carraway and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Another fan of that Miles soundtrack and agree, with or without the reverb. When I first discovered it I played it to death and then I discovered the longer version and repeated the experience although there are a lot of short bits.

NP Jackie McLean and Dexter Gordon Montmartre Summit 1973 (SteepleChase) teo cd set.
    the rest of the band s Kenny Drew, NHØP and drummer Alex Riel. I almost sold this off five or six years ago but kind F glad I didn't as I'm enjoying this a lot today. For those who didn't know, Dexter was an early influence on Jackie Mac so it's kind of fun hearing them together in a live situation.

rxcory, Starwanderer, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now playing "The Last Trane."
    • Lover
    • Slowtrane
    • By The Numbers
    • Come Rain Or Come Shine
    [​IMG]

rxcory, DTK, Starwanderer and 6 others like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I love the Prestige titles from Trane, especially the ones with Red Garland. They may not be all fire and brimstone but solid by my measuring stick.

Doggiedogma and bluemooze like this.
  7. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Kenny Dorham: Afro-Cuban (Classic Records)
    [​IMG]
    Original cover below. Don't think I've every seen it. What an awesome set of players on this album!

Personnel

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    rxcory, Starwanderer, Stu02 and 10 others like this.
  8. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

"That's what Clifford Brown said. On his axe" ;)

Stu02 likes this.
  9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

This was a finding. Wasn't aware of this album before reading a thread about Mainstream records reissues.
    [​IMG]
    The sound of the trio is super clean and simple. It's so basic that I know it's an album I can play for years.

Not saying that these versions are better than the originals. I mean, is it possible to do better than Chick Corea, Coltrane, Miles did with Windows, Naima, Pinocchio ?
    Freddie Hubbard's original Red Clay is amazing. But the version here... You have to play it.
    [​IMG]
    Jack Wilkins focus on the core felling of those tracks. When playing these versions you recall the original lines and you're thankful he doesn't take them anywhere else.

Simple, basic, beautiful. This is timeless jazz.

10. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Need to check this out. For my money the version of Red Clay On Tempest At The Colosseum is it. 14 plus minutes of some serious playing!
    [​IMG]

11. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

The Rocky Boyd Quintet- Ease It
    [​IMG]
    Listening to the Muse reissue under Kenny Dorham's name.

[​IMG]

12. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Duke Ellington- "and his mother called him Bill" (Speakers Corner)
    [​IMG]

13. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

NP: Grant Green The Latin Bit. Blue Note LP reissue from 2000. Sounds really good. ;)

rxcory, Crispy Rob, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

One of the things I love about jazz is the depth of exploration available. I'm confident that I'll still be buying and/or hearing jazz new to me until I shuffle off this mortal coil. There is so much beyond the really well known artists. All it takes is an open mind and ear.

WP Chris Hillman & Herb Pederson Live At the Palms.
    Board tape a friend recorded from a performance I saw about ten years ago.

NP Sergio Mendes Trio Introducing Wanda de Sah on vocals - Brasil'65 (Capitol) rainbow rimmed stereo lp
    The first recording of that Brazilian institution. That was over 50 years ago! :yikes: That makes a guy feel a little ancient.
    Wanda's voice is incredible though which makes it all better. :sweating:

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Horace Parlan - Up and Down

Now playing the Classic Records Bernie Grundman cut. This is just my first spin, but it might already be my favorite Parlan leader date. I wonder why Music Matters didn’t issue this one.

rxcory, Starwanderer, Stu02 and 6 others like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many consider this to be one of Ellington's finest albums from his later years

Stu02, Carraway and xybert like this.
  17. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Roscoe Mitchell - Duets With Tyshawn Sorey And Special Guest Hugh Ragin

[​IMG]

18. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

I more or less agree with that. Far East Suite is also up there. This release is probably the first Ellington album I really found on my own that I really loved. My father turned me on to most Ellington (and Basie for that matter) that I know today.

Tribute, fatwad666 and Carraway like this.
  19. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ike Quebec - It Might as Well Be Spring

[​IMG]

21. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

For me the more processing and popular techniques are used in a recording, the more dated it becomes. For example, set up an acoustic trio or quartet with good mics in a not overly dead nor live room, put as little as possible in the signal chain nor go nuts with panning, and the recording might always sound fresh. Well, at least as long as people can go hear acoustic trios and quartets play live.

But add in heavy panning (including dual mono and making drummers and pianists sound like they have a 12 foot reach), exaggerated timbres or equalization, compressors/limiters/noise gates, effects (especially pitch altering like chorus or autotune), reverb, and the like and the recording becomes more anchored to its time. And on the musician side, synthesizers, electric keyboards or drums, guitar effect chains, etc., can really put a time stamp on a recording. I suppose using an instrument unusually popular at the time--like 70s jazz flute--can do so as well.

That's why I think Coltrane's Atlantic albums sound more "60s" than his Impulse! releases. Also why I think CTIs sound very 70s and Telarcs very 80s/early 90s.

Tribute and Doggiedogma like this.
  22. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Anyway, now playing, Kenny Barron Trio's Book of Intuition. (As a random aside regarding the cover--the photo of which is from Amazon's site--it looks like they're watching someone try to parallel park, with expressions that go from hopeful, to critical, to amused).

[​IMG]

rxcory, bluejimbop, markp and 5 others like this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

We saw Hillman & Pederson with Tony Rice here in the 90s. It was a taping for a TV show out at the now-defunct Opryland theme park. Also went to a Texas Tornados taping there.

Doggiedogma and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have that under Dorham's name on a Black Lion CD titled 'West 42nd Street'.

25. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member