Listenin' To Prog and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HiResGeek, Jan 24, 2019.

1. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

One of my favourites in this genre

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I'm a folk fan but a lot of my listening is prog or prog related such as Yes, Genesis, Tull, Floyd, Renaissance, Marillion, Procol Harum and numerous unknown one offs.

deredordica likes this.
  3. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Rush: Moving Pictures
    Canadian Anthem (CD)

4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

^ Oh, and I forgot about Rush! :oops:

5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I'm on a Procol Harum kick since you posted this.
    It's been a while since I listened to them, now I'm addicted again.

6. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Renaissance is such an underrated band, IMO. Good to see some love here!

Ashes is probably my favourite track from them, but in a live setting. The 10 minute extra jam is just superb! To me, Scheherazade is the greatest of the bunch!

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

8. Funny that you suggested that, when I was getting the link for my post I saw the Cologne 94 video and watched it after I posted here, a fabulous performance and Clem really shreds at the end, what a solo, amazing stuff.

9. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Gotic - Escenes (Spain, Movieplay, 1978)

[​IMG]

Love it dearly.

Jeff57 and calgary669 like this.
  10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Longtime prog fan here, although my interest has waxed and waned over the years. It's currently waxing, though, so this thread comes at a good time.

I guess my first exposure was probably hearing "Roundabout" and "Karn Evil 9" on the radio when they came out. I can't really recall what I thought of them at the time (I was pretty young) but hearing either of those songs now (especially "Roundabout") is still like a direct jolt to the pleasure center of my brain. Pure pleasure.

A few years later, when I was in high school (early 80s), I started buying prog albums (on cassette, initially). I had already bought a couple of Yes/ELP cassettes when I was in the store one day and ran across In the Court of the Crimson King. I flipped the cassette over to read the song list and realized that I recognized the title "21st Century Schizoid Man" from the radio (the late, great WBCN-FM in Boston). Instant buy, and it turned me into an instant Crimson fan. Same thing happened shortly thereafter with the song (and album) "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". Kind of extraordinary in retrospect that I had heard that song on the radio enough times to recognize it, but that's what it was like at the time. Deep cuts by bands like Crimson and Genesis played alongside superstars like the Stones and Zeppelin (lots of deep cuts there, too) and the latest new wave from England. Gone are the days.

Anyway, my tastes run mostly to the classic British symphonic groups and 70s Krautrock (especially Can and Tangerine Dream). As I say, my interest waxes and wanes, and there have been long periods (years-long in some cases) where I probably didn't listen to any of those groups (except maybe Crimson and Can). Then a few years ago, I found myself listening to a lot of early Jethro Tull (also a high school favorite) and a friend of mine sent me some MP3s of Camel's The Snow Goose, which sparked my interest in some of the "second-tier" groups of that period (primarily Camel and Nektar).

Since then, I've been on a real prog kick, and am looking forward to discovering some more bands via this thread.

I'm not actually listening to prog at the moment (today has been a day for early reggae for me), but I recently picked up this awesome compilation (two double-LP sets) and am loving it:

[​IMG]

thgord, Jeff57, prudence2001 and 6 others like this.
  11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

And how about a bunch of Japanese avant-gardists paying a lovely tribute to classic Italian prog in the late 80s?

Pazzo Fanfano di Musica
    's sole album (1989) is a kind of prog I love because it completely defies easy categorization cruising gracefully among pastoral folksy arpeggios, contrapuntal chamberesque ostinatos, melodramatic symph crescendos and angular avant staccatos.

[​IMG]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQG6yrE2X6E

12. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Happy to hear it. One thing about Procol Harum is that they have such a characteristic sound, hardly anybody sounds like them. And even though their material sometimes went into more straightforward territory, any fan of progressive rock will find something on each album to love, I believe. Caught a concert of theirs a few months back and the musicianship was just impeccable. Truly one of the most original bands.

thgord, Captain Groovy and tug_of_war like this.
  13. calgary669

Tim has a new album in March - no 5.1 this time though. Still, a must buy for me!

14. calgary669

Love all of their albums, neighbor!

Jacline and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. calgary669

Never heard of this album, so I streamed it at the gym. Nice mix of jazz, blues and other things on side 1. But,man, the Valentine Suite kicks it off of the park, IMO! Is this their peak?

Soundhead and uzn007 like this.
  16. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Colosseum made just a handful of albums or less, but this one is probably their best. Their second album. The kick-ass bass/drums groove on The Kettle just jumps at you. Colosseum are often forgotten when talking about progressive rock. Some label them jazz-rock or even psychedelic rock, but I don't know... It fits perfectly within the progressive mould.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  17. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

18. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

My winter prog playlist:

Jethro Tull
    Anglagard (perfect for twenty below)
    Djam Karet
    Riverside (new album is sensational)
    Sonus Umbra
    Sanguine Hum
    Gosta Berlings Saga

19. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Post Punk practitioners were sometimes "rocking the classics" no worse than their Prog counterparts. Just think of the girls from Miranda Sex Garden who were capable of pulling of a full set of English madrigals a cappella for the indie/goth audience on Madra (1991).

[​IMG]

Madra [Mute Records] :: Beatport

NorthNY Mark, Bassist and uzn007 like this.
  20. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Hey Mark, have you ever gotten into the band Focus? Check out Moving Waves and Focus III. Two of my favorites of all time.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Always loved Hocus Pocus, but I think that's all I have heard so far. I'll have to give them a spin

22. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Transatlantic are probably my favourite prog band. All their studio and live albums are great, with Bridge Across Forever being slightly ahead of the pack for me. In fact, any prog-related album with Neal Morse on is fine by me. :agree:

dunkoid, ytserush, walrus and 2 others like this.
  23. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

ytserush, kevywevy and vinylvin like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Suite Charlotte Pike is awesome, but yes the whole album is great

dunkoid, ytserush and gja586 like this.
  25. mark winstanley