Listenin' To Prog and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HiResGeek, Jan 24, 2019.

1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

You are an aficionado, so am curious to hear your thoughts.

Some days I think Oldfield is my favourite of all and love from TB to Discovery including Amarok. It's quicker for to mention the few things I don't love about Five Miles Out. The drumming and drum sound. Morris Pert was a superlative percussionist but not a great drummer. The Fairlight. It's such primitive sampling that it actually sounds unique, but the sampled "do's" and cello grate after a while. That sixteenth note riff played with those sounds is not a bit of his writing I especially like. Family Man is a fine song, but I like Moonlight Shadow so much more ; ) Mount Teidi is awesome and Palmer really, really shines here. Amazing single stroke rolls, and the jangly vocoder. As you so nicely said "Orabidoo" is sublime and has a similar effect on me. Wonderful album cover and have stared at the pictures inside the gatefold many times.

2. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The descriptions say two sleeves - usually replicas original UK and original Japanese sleeves if they are different

I bought the Japanese Discovery set. One disc has the original Discovery outer and inner replicas the other two discs were in a gatefold of the special 1984 Suite album sleeve. It's one of my favourite Mini LP sets.

Norco74 likes this.
  3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Here are a few additional minor thoughts.

Regarding Morris Pert, the only album I have with him playing drums is Zim Zim by Suntreader, and I think his drumming there is pretty good. But is Pert playing drums here? He's credited with precussion and keyboards. Also credited with percussion is Mike Frye. The only credit for drums is Graham Broad on the title track. I guess it's fair to assume that Pert and Frye split drumming duties across the rest, but do we know who's doing what? Could be ONLY Frye. But anyway, having said that, the drumming on the whole album is pretty non-descript, and I imagine that was intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike wanted straightforward drums. The drum SOUND is quite dry, which is something I normally don't care for, but I like the way it works here.

About "Moonlight Shadow", I don't actually recall the song except to say that I didn't enjoy Crises overall. And I used to enjoy Amarok but the Thatcher bit towards the end became more annoying to me with each listen, and eventually ruined the entire album for me.

4. MrCJF

Same here. It was a "difficult album" but that bit made it so much worse. A remix without that (or just chopping off the last 10mins) would make me repurchase.

no.nine likes this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm listening to Giant.

Dane Argentini and Norco74 like this.
  6. no.nine

NP:
    Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale

[​IMG]

The REAL one, not the re-done one. :)

reapers and Norco74 like this.
  7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am not really a compilation guy but sometimes I like to spin this one from Yes. Mastered by Barry Diament in the 80’s, catalog Atlantic CD 19320. SQ is excellent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  8. MrCJF

"Thrak" by King Crimson.

Not listened for a few years, but I have my little office to myself this afternoon and thought something loud on the headphones wouldn't annoy anyone.

A lot more melodic than I remember. The current line up tend to play the heavier instrumental tracks (Thrak and Vrooom) and I tend to remember the album for those tracks, but the songs are a different beast altogether. It's also an overlong "lets fill the whole damn CD" album that could do with a trim, for example by ditching all the songs that were copied over from the Vrooom EP.

I can't imagine wading through the box set of this. They played a pretty consistent setlist. The 40th Anniversary CD/DVD set and the 2 CD Vrooom Vrooom live album should satisfy most people (including me).

dunkoid, Slick Willie and Norco74 like this.
  9. Norco74

Add the official beat the boot, Live in Argentina. A soundboard recording.

ytserush likes this.
  10. MrCJF

Half of Vrooom Vrooom was recorded in Argentina - was that not the same one?

11. Norco74

CD1 of Vrooom Vrooom was recorded in Mexico
    CD2 in New York

B’boom is all from Argentina and the story about its release is quite interesting.

I also agree with you. I was tempted more than twice about aquiring these massive KC boxsets but after considering the amounts of redundant live material and quality, I’ve opted for the CD/DVD combos plus some selected live from here and there + the Element tour sets. That will satisty my KC appetite.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Instant Dharma and ytserush like this.
  12. Norco74

This weekend MO albums on the deck will be:

Amarok and Crisis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Empire - Queensryche
    Friday Music reissue.
    [​IMG]

Instant Dharma likes this.
  14. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Disc One of [​IMG]

Norco74 likes this.
  15. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Where was this? I saw this tour, Nassau Coliseum, NY?

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Animals - Pink Floyd
    A2U/B2U, UK press.
    [​IMG]

Instant Dharma and ytserush like this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

As far as I know, it's a mixed footage from their concerts in Oakland and Chicago.

chef0069 likes this.
  18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm listening to Same Dreams.

Jmac1516 and jay.dee like this.
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm listening and watching to Daire (Smak cover) live.

20. MrCJF

Finally worked out what the layered vocals on The Light of Day remind me of:

21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm listening to Pusti neka traje.

Jeff57 likes this.
  22. Norco74

I am continuing my fall season Mike Oldfield marathon with the following 2 albums:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chef0069, reapers and dubious title like this.
  23. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Etude is beautiful. I haven't heard songs of the distant earth. Sure it's a mixed bag. Glad to see you keeping the fall Oldfield sessions alive. I'll join in this week end.

Norco74 likes this.
  24. Norco74

I will go as deep as I can in my MO collection until December 21st. I will probably finish the race with TB or Exposed.

I acquired Songs of a Distant Earth about 6 years ago and was very surprised with it. Not so much a mixed bag IMO. You tell me later on.

dubious title likes this.
  25. no.nine

NP:

Amon Düül II - Carnival in Babylon

[​IMG]

Norco74 likes this.